1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DFW Bottle Share - Craft & Growler Dallas 1/20/13

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by mattisloco, Dec 22, 2012.

1. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

I'm thinking:

Bcbs '12 (x 3)
    Moas '12
    Cascade Sang Noir

2. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

Well, peeps...looks like I'm out...I have a trip to Houston that weekend and I can't get out...hoping this is indeed the start of a beautiful friendship with Craft & Growler and that there are many more tastings there...drink some wales (bro) for me!

3. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Travel safe, see you at the next one.

JJFoodie likes this.
  4. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

Thanks, brother! With you at the helm, I'm sure there will be many many more in the future! You git-R-dun!

5. galapas

galapas Aficionado (130) Texas Feb 10, 2008

I'm in! Thanks for organizing Matt.

6. dfree23

dfree23 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 1, 2010

I'm going to try and make it. I have only been
    collecting for a year, but have some unique stuff
    stashed away.

7. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (450) Texas Aug 31, 2011

I might be able to make this. If I do though, it'll be with Austin beers in tow. Any recommendations or suggestions other than ABW? I don't think a growler will be viable since I'll be going down this weekend.

8. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

So long as the place you're at purges with CO2, a growler should last just fine. If they're just pouring off the tap though, you may be right.

9. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Ok, for me so far:
    The Bruery - Autumn Maple & 5 Golden Rings

Maybe more...I just keep drinking everything I bring back from trips. Had to set those two aside. Maybe someday I'll have a real cellar. Will drag my bf as DD to just try a few samples. Will probably have him bring his RealTail 2012, just 'cause I know he probably won't drink it anyway...

10. thirdeye11

Your BF's name is Chip, is that right? I'm trying to remember. Look forward to seeing you guys!

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  11. dukefan2331

dukefan2331 Aspirant (25) Jan 4, 2013

So as a newbie to Beer Advocate, is a Stone Vertical 03-03-03 and a Lost Abbey Veritas IX good enough to bring? This is a great place, btw. I am real close to them and enjoy having them in the city.

H0rnedFr0gs and willandperry like this.
  12. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

Gonna write in maybe here. Have a "keep your job" test the following Thursday, and while can definitely use beer, may not be able to spare the precious minutes. More solid RSVP to come soon.

13. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Yes, Chip. And it's cool, I'm horrible with names. I hope there are name tags again!

14. mattisloco

Both meet the requirements and I know I'm looking forward to trying them, so yes. Showing up, having fun, those are the most important things to do.

15. mattisloco

I was just asked if Homebrews would be an option to share. Does anyone have any input? I enjoy sharing homebrew when I make it and I enjoy trying others. I'm good with it unless there's a solid reason we shouldn't?

16. mattisloco

If you're able, the Namaste/Whip In special releases they're doing this weekend would be wonderful. If you go that route make sure to do flip top growlers, they will keep carbed until the share.

I also think that Jasperilla Old Ale is out right now, look for it and anything from Guadalupe Brewing Co.

17. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

I should be able to attend. I can bring some Bruery stuff like White Chocolate and Melange #3.

18. jsboots21

As long as they don't suck. :D

19. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

well done new guy, well done!

20. atxdelivery

I'm in as well

cfh64 and fragilehearted like this.
  21. thirdeye11

Woah, making the trip from ATX? Or already up here?

22. atxdelivery

Already up here and staying for 3 more weeks. IMO, Dallas is the #1 city in Texas.

GregSVT, Krumb and willandperry like this.
  23. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I'm not going but I'd say yes to the Homebrew. Most Homebrews are usually at least decent, if not better than half of what's sitting on shelves. Somebody into beer enough to be brewing there own should bring at least something to the party. If nothing else you can spread some knowledge and help them along with their brewing endeavors.

mattisloco likes this.
  24. mattisloco

Thanks, I feel the same. HOMEBREW is a go!

dumptruck81 likes this.
  25. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (450) Texas Aug 31, 2011

I'm assuming you mean the Cucumber Rye? I'll try to find a flip top while I'm in Austin or on the drive down if I get the chance.

26. mattisloco

I believe there's 2 or 3 nice releases this weekend and that was one.

27. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

If someone has a heart and some Acreage Saison to bring I would be forever in debt ;) (READ: Homebrews are a go)

28. atxdelivery

Bringing a bunch, but here a few
    JP Hoppy Farmhouse Ale
    Snowball Saison Ale
    BA Calling Birds

jsboots21 and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  29. H0rnedFr0gs

Glad you can make it Josh. This is going to be an amazing time.

The day before is community brewing's grand opening tour (tickets in hand) and the next Saturday is JK anniversary (again tickets in hand)

30. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

You left out Rogue Dead Guy, don't worry though, I got it covered ;)

31. atxdelivery

I'm upping my game with the Double Dead guy. I am making a good first impression this time, not a bunch of lame ass local brews.

cfh64 likes this.
  32. atxdelivery

Horned Frogs, look forward to sharing some killer brews with ya.

33. mattisloco

Everyone bug this guy to bring his beer. I've had Prairie Ale, Prairie Standard and Prairie Noir... Seriously amazing stuff. There should be one of those online "start up" deals to bring your beer to Texas.

I'm going to make a shirt that says "I Have A Hard On For Prairie Ale!"

In short, good morning DFW

cfh64 likes this.
  34. thirdeye11

Personally, I love almost every beer I've had from Chase. Some seriously good beers. That being said, there shouldn't be a Kickstarter Campaign for any business that's already in business.... at least in my opinion. The cost of doing business should be absorbed by the business if it chooses to grow.

A while back, I think it was Cane Rosso that wanted to expand to another location, and attempted to use a Kickstarter campaign to fund it. I thought the whole thing was ludicrous. What ever happened to old fashioned capital raises? With crowd funding, the business owner never has to repay the money, but yet reaps the benefits of the business over its life. To me, that's just not very entrepreneurial. I'm probably not as interested in a discussion of "separation of wealth" from a political standpoint as many people are, but that's certainly one thing to think about with regard to crowd funding and businesses that are already in operation as well.

chaseabeer likes this.
  35. H0rnedFr0gs

I can cover these + Prairie Hop if neither Will nor Chase make it otherwise I'm bringing the set to JK's anniversary. The Noir and PA were spectacular with Noir being my favorite so far. I split two standards last night with the GF after splitting a Perfect Crime..and the Standard more than held its own at a fraction of the cost.

36. mattisloco

I was joking about all of that except getting him there and how great his beers are. THough if someone makes me a shirt that says I Have A Hard On For Prairie Ale I'd consider wearing it.

fragilehearted and cfh64 like this.
  37. AAxsom

AAxsom Aficionado (210) Texas Jan 13, 2010

I'll be bringing an 09 Panil Barrique, Bruery Filmishmish, and some combination of 1)Shipyard Smashing Blueberry, 2)Italian lambic Surretta (I think) that I picked up in Florida, 3) some new stuff coming in trade

I may even talk a fellow BAer (lurker) into attending as well!

38. jsboots21

I think Cane Rosso using Kickstarter to fund expansion is pretty clever and resourceful. You are asking people for money, which is exactly what a capital raise is (sans the promise to repay or exchange for equity ownership). Those donors are people who, of their own volition (I'm assuming), are willingly giving. It's almost reverse marketing, whereby you sell to your creator rather than consumer. I'd call that a good move as the owner likely doesn't want a) debt or b) to reduce his equity share. If people are willing, then let them give.

It is, in my opinion, exactly what defines entrepreneurialism. Businesspeople finding creative solutions for issues while building something from the ground up. It's very new school, but if it works, then by all means use it! Honestly, Peticolas Brewing is doing the same thing by using volunteers for his day to day operation. Do you take issue with his use of willing and eager volunteers to perform the majority of his tasks? He's in the midst of expansion and is still primarily reliant on volunteers (considering that he has only one or two? paid employees other than himself vs. the total of 6 or more people who were onsite when I visited Friday.) The main difference I see is $ vs. time, but time = money in most folks' eyes, so...

At any rate, this event looks awesome and I hope I can attend! Not sure what to bring. Will check the ol' cellar...

39. atxdelivery

Since there probably won't be any Cowboy fans there, anyone care if I wear a Packers Jersey?

40. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

I have Hop and Standard from the second filling. I'd rather those go down to JK's party. None of these were sold in OK, all shipped to Boston. Higher carb and very little yeast in the Standard. Hop is a mix of Simcoe and Citra in the dry-hop, not 100% Citra. Someone help me out?