DFW Bottle Share - Craft & Growler Dallas 1/20/13

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by mattisloco, Dec 22, 2012.

1. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (935) Texas Jun 14, 2012

My lady(wife) will also be accompanying me, gotta have a sober driver.

2. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Jealous he has something to cheer for? 20 years of playoff envy will do that. Don't hate.

TX-Badger likes this.
  3. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Something came up with work and had to log in from home...totally missed this. Maybe next time...

4. TX-Badger

Thank you to Matt for setting this up it was a great event! Also thank you to Craft and Growler for hosting us! Great people and great beer, doesn't get any better.

twoplustwoisfive and cfh64 like this.
  5. That was great!!!!!!!!!

6. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Wonderful time with wonderful people. I hope all of you made it home ok? Next time 2 bottle limit, no more.... Crazy good times though.

sjs0187 and thirdeye11 like this.
  7. Thanks Matt! Good to meet all of y'all! What a turn out!

8. kcbaby

kcbaby Savant (270) Massachusetts Jun 30, 2010

Matt, thank you.

mattisloco likes this.
  9. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Great to meet everyone, and special thanks to Matt for putting everything together.

10. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I always bring 2 bottles to big tastings. Anything more, and it's just too chaotic. :)

Awesome tasting today though guys, thanks for putting it together Matt!

Cheers,
    Chad

11. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

It was great to meet everyone and try a bunch of great beers. A big thanks to Matt for putting it on and Craft & Growler for hosting us

12. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Gotta chime in again.

So thankful for all the great people who joined this crew. They top any beers being opened by a long shot (and I tried some amazing amazing brews including the last taste of the DL..tick that beast and the hunt starts for a similar vintage)

Once I recover a bit we can start to discuss something more low key but steady in the coming months. I'm invigorated by chatting with you all and days like today make all the jockeying and sparring about beer really resonate with me. We are lucky and I'm glad to be a part of it.

13. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I'm sad that I wasn't able to make it. Damn overnights at work..

14. Sethzilla

Sethzilla Aficionado (240) Texas Oct 10, 2012

[​IMG]
    what an amazing event

15. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Had a great time! It was nice to see familiar and new faces alike. Wonderful day capped off with a wonderful Patriots loss :)

16. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (680) Texas Jun 29, 2011

Twas badass.

Krumb and cfh64 like this.
  17. H0rnedFr0gs

Thank you for that pic. All I gotta say is DAMN! And thanks to C&G'S again..I wish FW was lucky enough to have a place like this

18. I completely agree. Though C&G is quite a drive from where I usually stay when I visit, I will defiantly be paying them a visit next time.

19. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Savant (255) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Awesome time, ready for round two sometime in Feb.

20. mattisloco

Ya... I think we all should talk about that.

My intent was to do one of these at C&G about every 3 to 4 months so that they're special and we don't wear C&G out. That being said Kevin at Craft & Growler said we are welcome back anytime.

My hope was to have 3 or 4 of these large shares a year. People can meet people that live close to them and share in a more reasonable manner monthly/weekly. The distance some of you drove for the event was awesome but also a concern. I also think there needs to be a restriction on ounces that we all stick to. Some of us had a bit too much to drink and I feel 40 to 50oz per is a number we shouldn't go over. I'm not "calling anyone out", my wife rarely partakes in bottle shares and she didn't know her limit... I guess I just called her out :D.

Those are just my thoughts, I don't want to sound like a parent here either though, I had a fucking blast and I'd be more than happy to help put this together again.

raffy313 likes this.
  21. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

You're well within your rights to call people out. If someone acts out of line and then intends to drive, we are all at risk. That's not being a parent, that's being a responsible adult. Bottle shares are something many have never (or rarely) participated in. It's a completely different format than almost any other drinking session. Be sure to always go 1 for 1 on beer for water, eat plenty before you come, and pace yourself. I try to make sure to "rate" every beer I drink, so that I can go slow. Thanks again for putting it together Matt.

Cheers,
    Chad

Krumb and willandperry like this.
  22. H0rnedFr0gs

More Berliners and Guezes next share. My better half also succumbed to near constant 10%+ ABv. I had to remind her often to pour less and aim for more 1oz or less pours of the big BW and Stouts...at one point I saw at least 2 four pack of BCBS...no doubt a great beer that I would never turn my nose at but those beasts escalate things quickly.

What was everyone's favorite beer of the day? Josh's Jackie O Oil was up there, all the HF beers, and the C&C Jacks BW from the Covey poured into my Community globe made for a great moment for me tieing back to the location that kicked off my love of good craft.

23. Damn, wish I had not missed out on the oil, I never even saw it. There were some pretty tasty brews there though so Im not complaining by any means :)

24. Sethzilla

I knew I was in over my head, so for most of my samples I poured just enough for a good smell, and to coat my tongue... maybe not enough for the full effect but it allowed me to sample as many of those awesome beers as I could without getting tanked.

Yeah that oil of aphrodite was great. I really enjoyed blood of the unicorn, hopslam and Rye'da Tiger.

I enjoyed the show that accompanied the opening of the '09 saison-brett ;)

25. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Missed out on the Oil, ah well. My favorite was Meddler, easy for it to stand out among all the barleywines and big imperial stouts. One of the more memorable sours I've had in a while. Also really liked Doggie Claws and the Covey's barleywine- but all around tons of good stuff.

26. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

That's some good company. I'm sad I'm out of BotU.

27. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Savant (255) Texas Aug 28, 2010

I am a bad influence and have little self control at these.

air likes this.
  28. Sethzilla

My biggest pours were definitely the ones that you poured for me :). 4 Calling Birds comes to mind.. which was awesome.

29. H0rnedFr0gs

If that's little self control then please never find it ;)

I cannot wait to pop some more beers with you this next weekend

30. I had to throw in the towel after about an hour and a half. For sobrieties sake, plus that many heavy beers just sit heavy on my belly. Had a great lunch at The Moth afterwards, and ya a couple of beers as well.

mattisloco likes this.
  31. TX-Badger

I had a great time and I think one every 3 to 4 months is a good split for a big bottle share. I definitely made sure to eat beforehand and pace myself. I also tried to mix in some samples of lower ABV beers. Craft and Growler is a great spot to have one of these and I'm glad Kevin is happy to have us back. Thanks again for putting this together!

mattisloco likes this.
  32. I really hate that I'll never get to do one of these, stupid liver. Oh well congrats on the tasting being a success Mr. Kiraly, btw you are still a dirty pirate hooker.

33. mattisloco

Damn it lurker!

34. AAxsom

AAxsom Aficionado (210) Texas Jan 13, 2010

Thanks Matt for hosting and to everyone who came to this great event. I didn't think a bottle share could top the Addison Saucer one, but they're 1and1A in my mind. C&G is a great place to have it, and I'm glad to have a Revolver Blood and Honey growler in my fridge right now.

I agree on making sure everyone tries to pace themselves. My buddy Jeff (he lurks as jeed2316 on here) and I talked about this on the way back to Arlington. It's really hard to pace yourself when there are a plethora of amazing bottles you never thought you'd be able to try. However, keep in mind that if these bottle shares continue to occur, and people continue to come and be generous, we'll all be able to partake in some amazing beers.

BeerDrinkersSociety likes this.
  35. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (405) Texas Jul 26, 2012

Really glad that I got to meet everybody and enjoy some great beers. Now I will have to be on the lookout for some good bottles to hold for the next one.