1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DFW International

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by willhare, Mar 25, 2013.

1. So I'm getting married in a little under a month and we are going to Maui for our honeymoon with a connection through DFW... Any good spots to kill a layover/medicate a new wife who isn't a fan of 7-8 hr flights?

2. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

I imagine that you might be connecting through Terminal D because of your destination so you may be in luck. That's the one place in the airport you'd be likely to see craft. I know I've seen Fritz Rahr post on Facebook that Rahr is available in bottled form at one of the restaurant bars there. I want to say it's Blue Mesa but I'm not 100% sure, I just know it's near D33. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get something from St. Arnold too. Nothing too exciting though, just think basic session stuff like the Rahr Red.

3. DFW is probably the worst of the large airports when it comes to beer. You might find Rahr or Shiner around but that's not saying a lot. You are probably more likely to find Guinness, Blue Moon and Sam Adams.

4. Danobold

Danobold Savant (300) Texas Feb 26, 2012

Rare poster here (trying to fix that, ha), but yes, Terminal D is easily the most likely place to find anything craft (or even close to it at all). I fly out of there for work once every couple of months or so, and it is far and away the best of the six terminals at DFW. If you land in another terminal, there is a train now that links all of the terminals - take that (it will be well worth it to wait out a layover in D).

There are a couple of places there that have a decent (for the airport) beer selection. There is an Irish pub (don't remember the name, but you'll find it - it has your standard Guinness, Harp, etc.) which is likely your best option beer-wise. If the wife is not a beer person, somewhere like Cool River (which will probably have like Sam Adams and Stella, but also liquor) might work. Would also recommend the poster above's suggestion on Blue Mesa - food is good and they may have some of the Mexican beers besides Corona or Dos Equis (which isn't much, but it's better than a lukewarm Coors Light).

Rahr is out there for sure. I'd heard that Deep Ellum Brewery may have their IPA out there, but I've yet to see it.

5. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

jsboots21 likes this.
  6. Sudsday

Sudsday Aficionado (225) Texas Mar 18, 2013

Congratulations, took the leap myself not long ago. We went to Maui for our Honeymoon as well. DFW is probably gonna be a wash but be sure to enjoy some fresh Big Swell IPA's out there and make it to the Maui Brewing Pub if you can. They had pretty good food and a couple of great beers, Freight Trains West Coast IPA and some sorta Coffee Stout. Oh and if you have time after that... maybe take the Road to Hana or something. ;)

Either way, congrats and enjoy!
    Suds

7. Thanks for the info! Is the brewery easy to find out there?? I'm told that Big Swell is awesome and that they have a coconut porter or something...

8. Sudsday

Sudsday Aficionado (225) Texas Mar 18, 2013

Yep, easy to find. Right off the highway north of Lahaina. Probably best paired with a trip to Kaanapali (shopping and beaches) or Kapalua (golf resort and beaches). My wife liked it too, we went twice. Big Swell was my go-to for the trip and the other cans are good but the Freight Trains and the coffee beer stood out. Worth the trip if either of those sound good. Let me know what you think if you make it.

Mahalo,
    Suds

9. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

If your flight is from dfw to ogg it will be terminal a probably... If history of that flight is any indication. Hop the skytrain out to d as previously posted.

10. Awesome. How about local grocery stores with good selections?

11. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Zero grocery stores worth good selection but I guess whole foods inn kahului is the best on the island.