1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Diamond Knot 666 (22oz./limited release)

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by pjdipes, Feb 3, 2013.

1. pjdipes

pjdipes Disciple (70) Washington Nov 18, 2012

Anyone grab this limited release up? If so,...thoughts? It's available at most Seattle/Eastside bottleshops. [​IMG]
    Some places it's already sold out after a couple hours.
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

That's a busy label.
    muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  3. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (370) Washington Sep 7, 2009

What is it?
  4. pjdipes

pjdipes Disciple (70) Washington Nov 18, 2012

I'm guessing American Strong Ale,....info on this beer is almost nonexistent.
  5. Speaking of limited WA beers, did anyone go to the Two Beers release party yesterday?
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

This was on their FB a couple days ago: WOW, how time flies! It seems like just yesterday that we released the 666th batch of beer brewed at the production brewery. While, we bottled a few cases of our “666” and hide them away. This Saturday, Feb 2nd, it will be 666 days since that faithful day and time to introduce you to our 666 Aged Ale. The 666 Aged Ale will be available in VERY limited quantities. Stay tuned for a complete list of retail locations.

The "666" facts:
    -A 66.6 minute mash
    -666 grams of first-wort hops
    -A 66.6 minute boil
    -Two 666-gram aroma hop additions
    -Fermented at 66.6 degrees Fahrenheit
    -Aged for 666 days.
    -Only 66.6 cases were packaged (okay, it was 66-2/3, only because we can’t make 0.6 cases)
  7. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Completely uninformative press release + limited credibility = No purchase
  8. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Yeah there is no mention of barrels. Makes me think they have been sitting in bottles for about two years.
  9. beertunes

I doubt any of this will make it up Tha "Ham, but I would buy it instantly, unquestioned, without further info. But I'm something of a DK fanboy.
  10. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (295) Washington Mar 1, 2010

Depending on price, I'll check reviews and purchase accordingly.
  11. beertunes

It seems like that's going to be a luxury you may not have. I just tried to get a favor and was told no way. If you see it, grab it! Mages64, in our departed, beloved thread, finally has a beer that is fitting his scenario. Sold out almost instantly at the brewery, and retail locations got allotments.
  12. Lazerlobe

That in and of itself isn't that uncommon. It's easy to artificially limit beer. What remains to be seen is whether it is a good beer or not.
  13. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (370) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Is diamond knot a brewery that people like? I've never had anything from them that I enjoyed.
    Kopfschuss and hopburster like this.
  14. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I think their two ipas are pretty good. I don't think I've had any of their other beer despite their production brewery being walking distance away from me.
  15. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

In the middle of an excellent cask of some vanilla'd Possession Porter at our place right now. Right before that was a really good chinook/simcoe dry hopped Point Elliot Pale. All their casks are usually pretty damn solid.
  16. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

My thoughts exactly

There pretty much are no reviews, and it could be gone by the time you make up your mind.

Can't say I've had anything that good from them either. That's why I'm hesitant to buy this, bourban dark belgian, & the bourbon imperial porter. Though I am curious...
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Industrial is O.K. I guess.
  18. ijaap

ijaap Aficionado (190) Washington Jan 5, 2013

Picked up the 2 bottles as per the limit at Malt and Vine. Haven't tried as of yet, but I'll update once I find time to open one up.
  19. Everything from the name, to the whole 66.6 bit makes me want to stay away from this beer. Seems way out of touch.
    digita7693 and dirtylou like this.
  20. Lazerlobe

It's a pretty good barleywine after all. But I didn't see much buzz about Old Number 1 when it hit and this strikes me as a a similar vintage brew.
  21. KiMiRaiK

Just bought it yesterday, plan on trying it tomorrow. I let you guys know how it is.

Thnx, that has been the most descriptive review i have seen yet. Seriously.
  22. Lazerlobe

Well it isn't especially deep. There is some caramel and dilute dark fruit with faded hop presence. Unremarkable as a strong ale and weak for a barleywine. Let's see what you think.
  23. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

picked up a bottle at 7.99 - one bottle limit at Total Wine Bellevue.
  24. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Wow! No love for Diamond Knot? I think their shelf offerings are as good as any and their Shipwreck XXX and Slane's Irish Red was pretty awesome. Can't wait to try 666 - superstitious I'm not :) In fact I think the shtick is pretty entertaining.
    beertunes and Dogfishipas like this.
  25. KiMiRaiK

I thought 666 was pretty tasty, I'd describe it as a hoppy dunkel. Not a MUST try, but I recommend giving it a shot.
  26. This beer was better left unbrewed.
    Lazerlobe likes this.
  27. Shipwreck was nice, not so sure about now. I have noticed a MAJOR turn for the worse in their quality. I snagged a growler of Industrial IPA a few weeks which we split in BJCP class. The consensus was that the beer was a mess. It was the WHAT NOT TO DO beer of the night. Thats a shame because I had a 1/6 bbl of DK Industrial on my kegerator at home about two years ago and it was very good. The 666 and my last bomber of traditional DK IPA really made me put the brakes on these guys for a while. I may go back in a year or so to see if they cleaned up or cleaned house.
  28. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Sorry to hear that. I haven't had any of their offerings in over a year. I can't imagine what might be going on there in light of their current expansion.
  29. I used to really like their beers, but I haven't had any in a long time since there is so much variety to choose from these days. I know they are expanding like NWer said. I wonder if the quality has something to do with that? Have they made any changes with the Head Brewer or anything?
  30. I was at a housewarming party last fall that had a keg of their IPA... unbelievable how much better it was vs. the 22oz. bottle.