1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Did anybody make it to Brixie's GI Tap Takeover?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by funhog, Mar 2, 2012.

1. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Brixie's GI tap takeover Thursday March 1st, 16 Goose Island Beers including Vanilla & Coffee Stout.
    NewGlarusFan likes this.
  2. mm2112

mm2112 Aficionado (120) Illinois Jun 16, 2010

I went, fun times. The vanilla kicked in about an hour
  3. bradner

bradner Savant (340) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

I went and had Indira, Lolita & Juliet (all excellent). I was disappointed that they removed Scarlet from the tap list. Didn't get a chance to try any of the stouts. Coffee was the second one to kick. They also had their Imperial IPA on tap.
  4. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Indira was a mess as my last drink of it. The vanilla, coffee were great. The Imperial IPA was phenomenal. In order of amazing beers for that night...

• 50% Coffee/Vanilla Hybrid
    • Juliet
    • Vanilla
    • Coffee
    • Imperial IPA
  5. 'Twas a blast. I'm glad I got to try the vanilla, and thereby realize my preference of coffee over it. Definitely gonna be seeking out a second coffee to add to my cellar! It was great to see so many ba's, and that I was able to introduce some of my novice beer drinking friends to bigger brews.
  6. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Tell me it was mobbed so I don't feel too bad for sitting it out with the flu.
  7. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Were the prices any better than the similar tap takeover at Sheffield's? I liked getting to have Vanilla, Coffee, Juliet, etc but didn't like getting the bill to see all $12 pours.
  8. bradner

bradner Savant (340) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

Everything was priced at $6 for a 7oz pour with some exemptions for the regular Goose line, then you got 12oz I believe.
  9. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

The Bourbon County Vanilla was excellent! Sad that they aren't making that one again. The Bourbon county stouts sold out quick, "Big John" stuck around for a while and was very good.
  10. funhog

If you're looking for a trade I have an extra Coffee if you have a Vanilla? Cheers
  11. funhog

Thanks, That would have been the one I wanted to try but had to work until 10:30. <:-(
  12. It was a really fun time. Good crowd, great prices for the beers involved, and as always, it was great to see the West 'burbs BA's en force!
  13. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Definitely a great time. Sadly I was in line when the vanilla kicked since I had to work, but I got to try the Imperial IPA for the first time in forever which was great and I got my dad hooked on BCBS.
  14. Unfortunately, I do not have a bottle of the Vanilla. I have one Coffee I'm aging, and I traded my Bramble for a Rare. Thanks anyway though!
  15. It's your beer to do with whatever you like, but BCBS Coffee isn't really a great candidate for aging. The coffee flavor will noticeably drop off relatively quickly.
  16. jeebus23

jeebus23 Aficionado (155) Illinois Mar 19, 2010

I'm not sure where people are getting that from. I opened a bottle of 2010 a couple of weeks ago and it tasted fine. Sure it didn't have that in your face coffee aroma like a fresh bottle, but there was no doubt this was a coffee stout.
  17. Of course. But it was also a little boozy fresh, and I'm operating on the assumption that since KBS had even less coffee flavor fresh, and still had some pleasant espresso roastiness overtake the bourbon flavors after a year or two, then maybe the bourbon notes would decay enough to still keep a decent amount of coffee in the palate. Thoughts? I really have no objection to drinking this bottle ASAP, but I thought it might offer something equally desirable with a little age.
  18. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

I agree that it was a tad boozy when fresh. However, I had some BCBCS at Day of the Living Ales (3/3) and thought it was perfection, i.e. noticeably less hot than a fresh bottle. Did you try any Coffee at Brixies? This makes me wonder if the sweet spot is somewhere between 3-6 months.
  19. I tried some fresh at Brixie's and adored it, though like I said, thought it could do with a little less bourbon heat. I have one bottle I got the day of the release this year that I'm currently deciding upon when to drink, but it's looking like that day is (fortunately) fast approaching.
  20. redsand22

redsand22 Aficionado (200) Illinois Mar 17, 2010

Bramble for a Rare? does he have another rare for trade?
    TravisMBinns likes this.
  21. I don't think anyone would suggest that BCBS Coffee somehow turns into, I don't know, Big Flats if you let it sit a while -- the last time I had a bottle of the 2010 vintage (about 6 weeks ago), yes, it was still a very good beer. I found that the aroma had hints of coffee grounds but picked up more of that bitter flavors on the finish. It was absolutely still very good and enjoyable but not nearly as enjoyable as it was before.

Shoot, the brewers who made the beer encourage people to drink this beer sooner rather than later:
  22. It was a regular at the store so he was particularly generous, but from what I understood, he got 5 from the initial release, drank one, is aging a couple, and decided he really wanted a second Bramble Rye aside from the one I was able to sell him, and I gladly accepted his offer of one of his Rares for it. So short answer, I don't think he's looking to part with any more.
  23. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Did anybody make it to Brixie's GI Tap Takeover?

I made it in, but I didn't make it out.
  24. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Posting by telepathy?
  25. funhog