1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Did anyone try Steel Toe Size 11 at Muddy Waters tonight?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Steasy66, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

If so, what did you think? Trying to figure out if its worth the trip to SLP to grab a 750 tomorrow.

2. I didn't try it, but Steel Toe has been great across the board, and I suspect that it would be worth it. The guy knows what he's doing.

CaptainBeir likes this.
  3. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

drinking it now. Awesome!

4. dangerously drinkable and so hoppy!

5. Everything is worth doing, idiot. Whether it's worth doing twice, that's the other question. Idiot.

arniepnminne likes this.
  6. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

It was awesome. I got HUGE watermelon flavors. Nice redish color and very drinkable. Wish it was year round....

7. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (275) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

I thought it was amazing. Really drinkable for an 11% and a wonderful nose. I think I had 3 at the release, I couldn't stop drinking it.

8. sacrelicio

God this stuff is a melon bomb!! So good and so different.

9. Mid

Mid Aficionado (110) Minnesota Dec 15, 2010

+1 to this. Swung by the brewery had a few and bought a few.

10. A melon bomb? First off, I think we had two different beers. Second, where do we go from "melon bomb"?

11. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Myself and the 2 guys I split the bottle with got huge watermelon flavors. I didn't use the term "melon bomb" but certainly fits considering people call certain IPAs and DIPAs "citrus bombs" and the like.

Some people think Simcoe hops taste like cat piss. Some pick out grapefruit. Whatever hops were used in Size 11, it seems at least some people pick out wstermelon.

12. a very nice explanation.

13. sacrelicio

I got a lot of different melon flavors, not just watermelon.

14. Will it still be on tap for a few days or is it gone?

15. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Ha yeah, defenite melon character to this one. Cantalope came to mind as I drank a glass last night. Pretty good stuff.

16. Lots of positivity on this one, so I'm going negative. I thought it was way too boozy. These guys seem to use a very clean tasting yeast that works really well for size 7. The clean finish just didn't work well with such a big beer that to me lacked other character. It might have worked for me if the hops were more dominant in flavor and aroma aspects, but this wasn't the case. It was really cold - maybe that was the issue.

One man's opinion - I'm in a bad mood too.

17. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

I will agree and say that size 7 woks much better for them. I did find the 11 too cold at the brewery, but when poured and drank at home the tropics came out. I love the clean crispness Jason get with both size 7and 11. Doing great things and looking forward to what is to come from them.