1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Did Green Flash STOP bottle dating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jrnyc, Nov 8, 2013.

1. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Saw a case of WCIPA today, case box said enjoy by 3/19/2014. Wow, seems like this beer could be very fresh so i looked at the bottles for the bottled on date, it was nowhere to be found. I know over last year or so Green Flash has been bottled dating different ways. It was near bottom of bottle in easily read yellow ink, then it moved to brown in on neck which is difficult to see. No it seems it is nowhere to be found.

Also, wondering if enjoy by is March of next year, what is the number of months they are using. I am thinking it has to be at least 4 months, maybe 5.

This constant shuffling of bottled dates by Green Flash, Ballast Point and Lagunitas is maddening and really a a clown show. I will just pass on these beers and buy from breweries that have a consistent, easy to read date.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    hoppytobehere and Schwantz like this.
  2. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (365) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

thats annoying! you could ask them, it would bother me too but whatever i get from those breweries is always pretty fresh at my bottle store. thats a lot of good beer i would personally miss.

3. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I can never find dates on them, so I don't buy them.

4. Dad

Dad Aficionado (130) Maine Jul 18, 2013

This is why Dad stopped buying Green Flash. Side note: I saw some Rayon Vert on the shelf at a local shop, and I nearly bought it, until I saw a March 2012 date on the bottles.

charlzm and rather like this.
  5. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Yeah GF has changed their dating code location, color, and style at least 5 times now I am thinking. Last I saw there were no bottled on dates to be found (not cool), only "best by" dates. Seems they are dating WC IPA as best within 6 months. Yum! 5-month old IPA...

Bitterbill and SenorHops like this.
  6. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (365) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

according to a green flash news flash from last year (5/21/2012) green flash started putting bottle on dates on the side near the bottom.

7. I have to assume they would not put a "best by" date on their bottles if the beer was going to be anything other than perfect on that date and beyond. Why would they put the flavor of their product in jeopardy?

8. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (335) Florida Jul 16, 2013

GF doesn't always fly off the shelf down here so I've def passed on a few WC IPA's because of the can't find the date issue. Almost grabbed a Stone IPA last night until I saw clearly marked best by July...and so I was glad to avoid the older IPA and grabbed an Arrogant Bastard that was best by end of December. Makes a difference and I usually stick to the same brand when I catch that stuff.

9. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (190) New York Jan 2, 2013

I'm confused. You saw two year old Rayon Vert and passed? I would have bought that up in a second. (serious). I had one of from 2011 a few weeks ago and it was a completely dry and funky mess. I loved every second of it. Reminded me more of Orval than it did when it was fresh.

johnsonni, charlzm, Morey and 4 others like this.
  10. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

Some are and some aren't. I could swear the Green Bullet I bought had an "Enjoy By" date on it. But it used to be just a date with no Enjoy By verbiage.

But yes, the most recent ones I've had were not dated. Honestly, those are pretty fresh though. The ones at Total down here in SoFla were some friggin December of 2012, it was criminal they were selling the damn things still. But they're gone now and these new ones are good, what you normally expect from this Top 5 Single IPA.

11. I don't buy Green Flash because of no bottle dates

Morey and Horbar like this.
  12. Wow.. Stone saw you guys comin' a mile away..

13. Maybe on their entry i should put a "?" :p

Chaz likes this.
  14. jrnyc

One question mark wouldn't do it justice. Should be something like this:

??????
    $**$&#$&!!@#(^%!!

15. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

March of next year is correct and your logic proves this beer to be super fresh...
    Simple question to ask an employee working there, "when did you get the WCIPA?"
    You would have left with some WCIPA...

16. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Yup, picked up a six pack of their stuff once and noticed it didn't have a bottle date. The beer must have been a year or two old. Tasted like puke. I emailed the brewery and didn't get a response. I'll never buy their stuff again.

kojevergas, AwesomeSquad and Horbar like this.
  17. o_O Would you pass over an Orval from March 2012? Or a Rochefort 10?

Finding a March 2012 Rayon Vert would just save me the storage space, since I'm in the process of aging two bottles of the stuff right now.

johnsonni, MacQ32 and Cubatobaco like this.
  18. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

Please tell me you passed because you can get older bottles elsewhere.

johnsonni, dedbeer, Morey and 2 others like this.
  19. My recently purchased Green Bullet, 2 different batches, had Yellow "Enjoy By" dates on the neck. I won't purchase GF without seeing a date; makes me wonder if it was rubbed off somehow,

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  20. jrnyc

In the last year or two , from what I remember on WCIPA they have progressed this way:

1) No dates at all on bottles
    2) Yellow dates below label on bottle
    3) Brown hard to read dates on neck
    4) No dates at all now

Cubatobaco likes this.
  21. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

GF is has a bottle date on the glass right under the cap.Hard to see,but its there.

Cheers All.....

Hendry likes this.
  22. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

There were at least a couple others. For instance the had yellow on the necks at one point.

23. jrnyc

Last batch I looked at had it. I looked at the bottle in this latest batch for 5 minutes at every possible angle and it wasn't there. This store actually had older WCIPA that I could see it on, new batch, not there.

24. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

I'm there. They both (lag/gf) lost me this year.

jrnyc likes this.
  25. I read that fast and thought you left your gf, lol ;)

Schwantz likes this.
  26. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (395) New York Oct 31, 2013

That beer gets better with time on it. Your loss

CalgaryFMC likes this.
  27. its on all the bottles here in Minneapolis right at the top of the bottle

28. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

In a perfect world you could do that, but just because the store got it yesterday doesn't mean the distributor hasn't been sitting on it for weeks or months prior to sending it to the retailer. We are constantly checking dates (when we can) and refusing stuff on a weekly basis because the distributors don't seem to care that the beer they just sent out the door is old and faded.

LightnerLiquorKS likes this.
  29. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

I just noticed this on green bullet. first 4 pack I bought had a bottle date second I didn't buy noticed there was a best by date.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  30. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I noticed this as well. I have stayed away from the other bottles on the shelf, not because I want to, but because the bottle date is so faded that I cannot read it. I'm just waiting for Palate Wrecker to come back.

31. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Hmnn.. I'll have to check her enjoy by date..;) cheers

papat444 likes this.
  32. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (785) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

I just had a bottle of Green Bullet, and it had a "Best by" date on the neck.

33. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Got a West Coast IPA at my bottle shop a week or so ago and there was no date on it, so...

34. What length does GF put on its best by dates. My WCIPA case say best by 3/19/14. No bottle dates. What do you think the bottled on date would be?

35. jrnyc

That is the same batch I saw. I am guessing this was bottled sometime in October, so we are looking at 5 months.

Looks like your experience confirms as I mine does this latest batch is not bottled dated.

36. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

Noted. The IPA is still fresh, though. I've seen bottled on dates on all of the gf beers I have had, they have been tough to spot but they are there

37. I know you only joined ten months ago, but is it possible that you missed the huge to-do people on BA make about the freshness of IPAs? Some users on here profess not to drink them after being any older than three-weeks old (or, in the case of Pliny the Elder, a week). People take their IPA freshness very seriously around these parts, and, if you'd ever had a five-month old bottle of most IPAs, you'd realize why they do so. I don't subscribe to this philosophy as much as some on this site, but there is certainly something to it. I think all breweries should be forced by law to bottle-date every single bottle, and not with an "enjoy by" date (breweries, likely for monetary reasons, seem to think their hop-forward beers are still "best by" or "enjoyable by" a date long after most consumers would agree to), a legitimate bottling date (I don't care if it's Julian dating or whatever) so I know exactly when the beer was put in the bottle.

LarryK and jrnyc like this.
  38. Didn't miss that at all. But I think it's blown MASSIVELY out of proportion and I've made that clear multiple times. I'm just saying that if Green Flash puts a "best buy" date, the beer will still be good on that date. They know their beer better than we do, and would not put a date on their bottle if the beer would taste like shit if drank on that date. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the beer would be good 2-3 month beyond that date. Sure, I know IPAs don't hold their flavor as well as some other styles, but I'm sure some hold it better than others, and clearly Green Flash believes that theirs can stand up to some shelf time. I trust "best by" dates over "bottled on" dates any day. Why leave it to my own assumptions rather than the expertise of the breweries that created it?

39. That's surely a fair and sound argument, but from experience (having unfortunately not heeded my own advice and picked up some Green Flash West Coast IPA that was four-months old, assuming a six-month best by allowance, and, on another occasion, having a friend discover a Bells Hopslam that had gotten lost in his fridge that was close to expiring but had not quite yet), I have found that breweries may believe that something should hold up when, in actuality, it doesn't. Yeah, the beer is still drinkable, but it definitely doesn't taste like the brewer intended it to when they initially bottled it. Whether the change the flavor profile goes under is good to you or not is subjective, but to most palates it seems this is a negative transformation (assumed based on BA's obsession with freshness). I'll take my own experience with older hop-forward beers than what the brewer seems to think.

That said, I bought some 2012 Sierra Nevada Celebration in May of 2013, and it was still awesome. I've also had some older Torpedo, and it, too, was still very drinkable. Do with that what you will.

40. Jewmagic151

Jewmagic151 Aficionado (115) Kansas May 31, 2013

They dated green bullet released 2 months ago with an expiration date in March 2014! At best u got 20 days on a triple ipa!!! Thy can't be trusted in bottles anymore. Green flash is horrible expired