1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Did Green Flash STOP bottle dating?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jrnyc, Nov 8, 2013.

1. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (565) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

And this is why I'm officially done with GF. Let's redesign our label, including a spot SPECIFICALLY FOR SOME SORT OF DATE, and then not print anything.
    Goodbye West Coast IPA, I'll miss you most of all....

2. Hendry

Hendry Savant (440) Vermont Mar 8, 2013

Very disappointing buying an "best by 7/31/14" 4 pack of Hop Head Red back in mid May only to discover I was drinking 2-3 month old beer (now that I've figured out their 5 month "freshness" cycle).

I learned this today when I spotted a four pack in the new packaging with an "best by" date of 11/8/14, so I bought a single for comparison sake. Based on their 5 month "best by" dating, this one was bottled roughly 10 days ago, and delivered what it was supposed to in the way of aroma and flavor. The 4 pack I bought in May was a total waste of money as the hops drop off quickly. Just a heads up to those about to make a Green Flash purchase: look at the "best by" date and realize they are claiming 5 months of freshness, which is a load of crap.

StLeasy likes this.
  3. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

love the "BEST BY: [nothing written there]" on this GF IIPA. it just showed up at the store though, so i'm pretty sure it's fresh. tastes good as hell too.

Hendry likes this.
  4. robear

robear Advocate (575) Wisconsin May 24, 2014

Here's my take:

The new labels required new machinery to stamp/print the Best By date on the label. Either Green Flash couldn't get it to work correctly or just didn't want to update their equipment. Either way, it doesn't jive. I'm talking with a buddy who works there to try to get a definitive answer.

They're 4-packs do tend to sit on the shelves here in Wisconsin, mostly due to price. How do you justify spending $8-9 on a 4-pack of beer from CA when you can pick up a local, fresh 6-pack for about the same price? Or a few bucks more for a sixer of almost any IPA/APA on the shelf (most of which have bottled on or enjoy by dates)?

When I lived in SD I still had trouble finding fresh GF, unless it was on tap or from the brewery I hardly ever bought it.

BP Sculpin goes downhill so fast that I wouldn't keep it on the shelf if it was more than 2 months old. And that's for cans. 1.5 months for bottles. Anything beyond that and you risk a total hop fall-out.

jrnyc and ONovoMexicano like this.
  5. robear

GF is a very drug-and-libations-tolerant environment. It's a choice they've made and I think it affects their business practices. Top to bottom they are very tolerant of drug and alcohol use. This isn't meant to be derogatory, a few breweries in SD have policies that allow workers to drink before, during, and after their shifts (depending on what they are doing, of course). GF just takes it a step further. I know they're not the only ones, but don't expect stoned dudes to worry much about labeling your beer with a best by date.

6. StLeasy

StLeasy Advocate (500) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

As far as I know (from earlier in this thread :p) the consensus was that late 2013-early 2014 bottles started using a 6 month code. While I totally agree with you about freshness, it isn't unusual. For the most part, I just don't buy IPAs older than a month anymore. There are so many available, and the freshest almost always tastes best to me.

And while I disagree with the 6mo. system, I love that Green Flash ships their stuff 100% refrigerated. I've had the pleasure of being at the store when ~2wk old Green Flash shows up, and I really (think I can :p) taste the difference. Tastes as fresh as a local IPA that went right from the line to the cooler.

Hendry likes this.
  7. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Hey Bro not to be a dick but you are so fucking far off base that it is almost insulting. You pretty much are saying that everyone at Green Flash is high and drunk so thats why there are no label dates?!?! If that was the case how are they in 49 states? If that was the case how are they the 51st largest craft brewery in the U.S.? If that was the case how are they still in business after 12 years. The reason there are no bottling dates on some 4 packs is because it is put on by a machine. It is a new machine that is part of a major bottling line expansion that went in in the last few months. The new line is fucking awesome but it takes time to tweek it. When you run it for 4 hours @ 350 bottles a minute some bottles will slip by. It happens there,at Dogfish,at Stone, at Budweiser. But say the reason this happens is because everyone there is drunk and high is bordering on being slanderous. A disclaimer. I work for Green Flash. I work in Production. This is MY personal opinion and not the opinion of Green Flash. If you are ever in San Diego and would like to come by please do and ask for me, Pat Korn,right there on my avatar. Good day to you all.

8. ???????????????? all my old Rayon is bottle dated in yellow on the bottom under the label......Rayon from 2011 is probably great right now. My July 2012 bottles are great.......Since its no longer made you should grab all you can. It will be good years from now.

Enjoy

LambicPentameter likes this.
  9. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (425) California Dec 17, 2012

I can see some bottles might "slip by" without a date stamped on them, but I have not heard of one person that has picked up a new label GF bottle that DID have a date... so I can only presume that ALL the bottles have "slipped by"...

jrnyc likes this.
  10. robear

Thanks for speaking up- it was out of line for me to throw something like that around, I can understand now that it could definitely be viewed as an insult. You guys work hard to put out great beer, I let some of the stories I've heard influence how I view the work environment @ GF. That was irresponsible of me and I apologize.

Ian_B and rynej23 like this.
  11. Bought some Uinta Dubhe yesterday and it also had a Best By date of next week. Do you (or any other BAs) know what the window is for Uinta beers. 5 months as well? Is this a new standard?

Thank god for Sierra and all the others that put a canned or bottled date.

12. I think some Breweries are claiming the "5 month freshness" because many of their markets are unable to move a high volume in 3 months time. Therefore, it is important to them that they don't get tons of pallets of beer back from their distributor and count it as a loss. This practice of course, is not a good one for the consumer, only for the retailers and the Brewery.

JUST YESTERDAY, I recieved 3 cases of Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard 4 Packs. The cases had not been opened, but what do I observe? NOT ANY BOTTLE INSIDE HAS A "BEST BY DATE." I assumed that this was just an honest mistake by Stone...maybe they accidentally didn't get stamped? But then, my mind goes into consipiracy mode and wonders "did the distributor rub them off and repackage them with glue?" I have opened many cases of all kinds of Stone, and I have never seen this! I contacted my distributor and got them out of my store. I traded them for more regular Stone IPA which had dates of 8/16/2014...I believe.

But lets think...what was my alternative as a retailer? What if I didn't know what saavy craft beer drinkers look for? If I had KEPT those 4 packs...it would look as if I had removed the dates off the top of the bottles!!! This is why it is paramount for a retailer to be as picky as a consumer!

Mineo likes this.
  13. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (385) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

They shouldn't have fucked with the WCIPA. It was perfect. Too much booze now. Off topic I know but fuck! Why fix something that ain't broken! ×

14. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (360) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

I'll agree the comment you replied to was ridiculous, but this is not a situation where a few bottles slipped by. I have yet to see a single bottle of the new packaging with dates on it, this is clearly not an isolated issue, and its not going to help your company much when people are drinking year old "new" WCIPA in 2015.

LightnerLiquorKS and jrnyc like this.
  15. Just yesterday I dipped into Total Swine to see about finding some goodies. I was going to buy the Stone Self-Righteous (a beer I've never tried despite it's being readily available in ABQ) but neither the bombers nor the 12-ounce bottles had a Best By date. What gives?

16. I picked up a sixer of WCIPA yesterday with a Best By date of 11/28/14 that was printed in really hard to see reddish ink.

17. As long as it tastes good, nothing else matters.

18. Just picked up some of this batch. And by first glance you can't even see the date.

Did we confirm that WCIPA has a best by date of 5 months after bottling?

19. FWIW, response today from Green Flash

Techichi likes this.
  20. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Just picked up some WCIPA with a best by of January 2015 thinking it was 3 months out and super fresh. Was very disappointed when I tasted it. My guess is the best by is put out 6 months. Lame!

jrnyc and papat444 like this.
  21. 6 months?! Jesus Christ!

jrnyc, SenorHops and robear like this.
  22. Whether I can find a bottling date has a big effect on what IPA I buy. I appreciate what Firestone did with the last case I bought: the box and each individual bottle had a clear "bottled on" date printed.

jrnyc and robear like this.
  23. robear

Enjoy by dates are pointless without bottled on dates.

24. readyski

readyski Savant (265) California Jun 4, 2005

Actually that is a style that I don't have to worry about (as opposed to IPAs) I know opinions vary, which is a great thing, but I would feel kind of proud walking out of your store with some old AB. But yeah, I hear you when you don't even know when :rolleyes:

25. Posing a question. Not trying to insinuate anything with this; If a company tends to go through Budweiser Distro houses, like I know GF does in Charlotte at least, does ABinBev ever ask a brewery to stop dating bottles? Maybe switch to a case packaging date only?

26. Bought a sampler pack thing last night. The date is there, but its the same color as the spot its printed on. Kinda really hard to see.

27. That is most likely the most logical explanation. AB is very much anti bottle dating.

jesskidden likes this.
  28. I thought AB was all about freshness. If you go to the "track your bud" site they have they will offer to buy you a beer if you put in an old one.

29. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Just because you don't like a company doesn't mean you need to say something obviously untrue. Budweiser is not anti bottle dating. They date every bottle they release. How is that anti bottle dating? Because you think their beer tastes like shite?

DavidHume likes this.
  30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

These threads make me howl w/laughter. I get it, it stinks not knowing how old something is, in my mind unless I'm buying an IPA, I don't care, though dusty packaging on a store shelf will have me looking for something else.
    But the amount of ire & rancor that seethes from some of the BA's...relax, direct the torches & pitchforks to the attention of said brewers.

Chaz likes this.
  31. I apologize, I believe I forgot to use the sarcastica font for my reply. ;)

Blueribbon666 and jesskidden like this.
  32. Okay, that makes sense. It's all good.

33. I see that you are CORRECT! After I read this post months ago I got a 5+ cases after trying a couple and they were wonderful. People are still picking them up, glad to have em.

However, what would you say about a November 2011 LE FREAK!?!? lol... i know its bottle conditioned, and I received the case today obviously expecting the bottles would be the new style...they weren't. I sent them back due to the hoppiness of this particular beer (Tripel/IIPA). I assumed that ALL the flavor from the hops would have dissipated. I would have drank them myself...but I don't want my customers thinking I'm senile or something ;)

34. To pile on, a few weeks ago, ordered Green Bullet, received Best By 7/31/2014 Palate Wrecker (same barcode/sku, I think?). Sent it right back. No need to name the distributor nor the market, but just because your store/bar got it this week.... that means nothing.

Green flash is "draft only" for me these days.

35. irishpride

irishpride Savant (275) New York Mar 20, 2009

I checked all the bottles in my store and everyone of them had a date on them. I do have to say there was a period where the dates were old, but the stuff I am getting is good till January. I guess it depends where you get it.

36. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Seriously how has someone NOT made an official font yet for those who need a little shoulder tap

37. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (850) Florida Feb 27, 2005

With the quality control at Budweiser, IF a bottle escapes the dating machine, nobody in the general public would see that bottle/can.

38. Pat Korn, you look a lot like The Fonz from the Happy Days. Hope the dating system gets worked out soon because you guys make some great beer. Loved Road Warrior.

39. There is another way to resolve this - start putting more of these hop blasted beers in cans!! Being a hop head myself every IPA or hop influenced beer tastes fresher- and lasts longer this way!!! Its not retro its just better with new technology. And the date doesn't wear off. Easier to recycle, better storage, keeps cold . where's the disadvantage?