1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

did i murder all the yeast!?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by goodbeerallday, Jan 18, 2013.

1. so im brewing on saturday and picked up all my ingredients yesterday. the yeast im using is just wyeast 1056.. anyway i was in a rush and i stupidly put it in the freezer! im thinking its safer to go buy some more yeast.. did i kill it or is salvation possible?

2. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (390) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

This might be better asked in homebrew forum, but....
    What format is the yeast in? Is it dry, smack pack or vial? How long before you realized it and (presumably) took it out?
    If it's dry, you have nothing to worry about. If wet, it may depend on timing.

acevenom likes this.
  3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

From Wyeast FAQ page...

17. What should you do if the yeast is frozen?

Thaw out in fridge. Activate and assess the time that it takes to swell. If there is no activation within 24 hrs, do not use. If there is activation, make a starter to revive culture.
    Back to top >>

acevenom and goodbeerallday like this.
  4. I would test it just to make sure. Dissolve it in 110 to 115 degree water and add about T sugar and then some flour. See if it rises. If so then there is no need to buy any additional yeast. Since id imagine brewing uses a lot more yeast than bread, it would definitely be worth trying.

5. It is a liquid yeast culture, it does not need to be rehydrated. Do not use flour. Make a starter with the ratio of 100 grams DME/Liter of water. Boil that cool, add the yeast after cooling into a sanitized container with AL foil to cover. If no acivitiy buy new yeast.

RobertColianni likes this.
  6. oops my bad. I think i need to get a book on homebrewing!

7. Smack pack. Wait 24 hours. Swelling? Make starter. Not swelling? Buy new yeast.

8. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I have also done this.(I hate to admit.) I thawed the yeast out and pitched like I normaly do and not suprising I had to pitch new yeast. I gave it 3 days then could not take it anymore.

9. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

how to brew