1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Did I ruin it?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by funke910, Mar 4, 2013.

1. funke910

funke910 Initiate (20) Oklahoma Mar 4, 2013

I just recently started home brewing and last night I brewed my 4th batch of beer. It was my first non 'kit' beer. I got the blood orange hefeweisen recipe out of Sam Calagione's book. I bought a glass carboy to ferment in this time, in the past I have used plastic buckets. I came home at about 5PM today (18 hours into fermentation) and the bubbles had come up through the airlock and gotten everywhere.

I sanitized my syphon and took out about 22 ounces and put them in a bomer bottle and capped it. I cleaned off the cap and the airlock and put them back on. First question, what will happen to the wort that I put in the bomer bottle? Will it carbonate itself or explode? Second, and most importantly, is the rest of my beer going to be ok? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (270) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

carboy is likely fine since you sanitized and replaced the airlock. Open the bomber and pour down the nearest drain before it explodes and kills your cat.
    mattbk and psnydez86 like this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Was this a 5 gallon carboy? Ideally, you want an additional 30% or so of headspace in the carboy over and above the batch size. But even with more headspace, you can still get blowoff. When fermenting a high gtavity beer, it's a good idea to use a blowoff tube instead of an airlock.

And yes, the wort that didn't exit the carboy should be fine.
  4. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (375) Florida Oct 19, 2012

First: Almost guaranteed it will explode.

Second: Your beer is in good (possibly great) shape.

Krausen venting through your airlock is a sign of robust fermentation (that's a good thing). It can easily be handled with a blow off tube (you can find many threads on the subject). Here's what's going on in your primary:

[​IMG]

Your yeast produced more krausen than your headspace could hold, so it vented through the airlock. This makes a mess, but a simple blow off tube can handle it. This tells you that everything is going great in your primary. The by-products of healthy yeast fermenting is good old ethanol, CO2, and hopefully some wonderful flavors/aroma.

Once the krausen curve peaks, you will no longer have krausen venting out of your airlock. You have a glass carboy, so you should have a good view of what's going on. If the krausen has already dropped below the top, just leave your airlock in place.

It is almost guaranteed that the wort you bottled has not finished fermenting. That means lots more CO2 will be produced. Impossible to predict how much, but I would toss it sooner, rather than later, and I would not wear good clothes when popping the cap.

Then let your wort finish fermenting as normal (1-3 weeks), gravity reading will determine when the yeast is finished. It sound like you used good sanitation, so every indication is you are on track for a good brew.
  5. 1/2 inch tubing hooked up to the base of your 3 piece airlock into a container/pitcher of like 2 or 3 inches of starsan mix will be a good idea for future batches.

[​IMG]
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Now I know 102 way to kill a cat...
  7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Oh yeah, what number are you on? Let's not have any armchair experts.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm working on 103, it involves a young cambodian dog, three cuisanart food processors, and a straightjacket.
  9. Your beer in the carboy will be fine, but get the beer out of that bomber and down the train. If it's capped, it will blow.