1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Did you like craft beer from the first sip?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteelCity75, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I started out as a BMC only drinker, until a friend of mine introduced me to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I still remember my first sip, I thought it was some of the oddest stuff I had ever tried. I honestly didn't like it. He told me to finish my bottle, so I did. By the end I wasn't hating it as much. He got it again about a week later, and let me try it again. I wasn't excited, but I realized that I enjoyed it much more, and actually had another bottle after the first one. About a week after that, I got a six pack of it. And today, it's my favorite beer.

Did any of you folks have similar experiences?
    El_Zilcho, dumpman and Kyrojack like this.
  2. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Loved it from sip 1. Over and over again.
    DelaDogfish likes this.
  3. randal

randal Savant (305) Texas Apr 21, 2004

I watched them build the first brewpub, Tulsa Brewing Company, in Tulsa Oklahoma in 1992; I was 22 at the time. I used to drive by it every day after work and on the first day it was open I went in and tried all the beers. Prior to that I had never had anything but various brands of light lager. Even though those beers weren't extreme by any means and probably quite tame I had never tasted / smelled anything like it - I loved it instantly.
  4. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Yes.

Cheers!
    barleywinefiend likes this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

For me, it depended on the style. Some, I gravitated to right off the bat, like IPAs. Some, especially brews of a sour nature, I didn't take to at all. Things have changed since then and yeah, I don't mind if you call me Sourbill.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

My first was Sam Adams Cherry Wheat when I was 16. So no, I did not enjoy it at all.
  7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I did, but didn't understand why it gave me headaches. I never understood ABV 10 years ago, so I gave it up when I got married. Well after 4 years I got back on board and have a much better appreciation of craft beer. The past year has been truly awesome.
  8. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

I could not finish my first Two Hearted, three or so years ago. So no, it was far from love at first sip.
  9. certain styles were difficult or easy to get into. IPA's were particularly rough at first but I have leaned to love em.
  10. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Drainpoured my first-a 90 min. Killed and loved the last 3 a short while later
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Had a new belgium sunshine wheat at a punk rock show in 96, took a beer hiatus for about seven years, and really hit it hard about two years ago. Beer has come a long way since 96, or even since 04.
  12. Jumping into the way-back machine...my first craft brew was Anchor Steam back in the 80's. Love at first taste. Anchor Brewing was somewhat the start of the big wave of micro breweries as they introduced a better beer than the then popular larger brewery lagers and imports.
    Kyrojack likes this.
  13. Yes.
    I hate forcing down things that taste somewhat similar water, but aren't really
  14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Since I have been able to legally purchase beer I have always leaned towards better beer. Granted my tastes have matured and evolved over the years but craft beer has always tasted better than BMC.
  15. my first sip was terrapin hopsecutioner on a trip to GA. loved it but never really pursued craft beer until i tried ska euphoria a few months later. thats when the addiction really started. Odd since both beers are pretty hoppy
  16. Yes. Didn't really drink beer before it.

Turned 21, went to my local supermarket to excise my legal right and grabbed a sixer each of SNPA and 60 minute cause they looked more 'artisanal' then the usual fare. I discovered a mysterious citrusy piney flavor I couldn't name at the time and haven't looked back!
  17. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Yes I have. I just like beer, so that can't surprise anyone.
  18. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

First beer besides the cheapies I ever drank was Honey Brown. And while I don't think it qualifies as a craft beer, I was amazed that beer could actually have a flavor that I would WANT to taste. I was hooked.
  19. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Same exact thing here. I remember I bought one out of the $1 beer cooler when I was 21 about 12 years ago. Took two sips and poured it out. Now it's one of my favorite beers. My how things change...
  20. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

First time I had Guinness I thought it was pretty rank. I grew to like it though and branched out into porters and stouts from there. First time I had Furious I thought it was the foulest shit ever...grew to like it (and IPAs). First time I had a sour I absolutely loved it :) Guess I found my natural calling!
  21. kingmaker

kingmaker Savant (290) Louisiana Nov 20, 2012

No, my dad kept giving me sips of his dark Scottish ales when I was 6 or 7... Ironically, it was a dark Irish ale that got me interested in better beer
  22. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

yes. and I also hated a few of my early craft beers as well. Didn't find true beer love until I found stouts.

btw, I am one of a very rare breed who has never tasted a BMC. Grew-up drinking german beer, wine or liquor. The smell of spilled BMC at college parties was such a turn off that it will never be imbibed by me.
  23. Not at all, hated IPAs and stouts at first and all I drank craft wise was wheats mostly. Can't get enough of IPAs and stouts now. Still pretty new to the craft scene(about a year) so I haven't had too much and still learning what I like and don't like.
  24. Ballantines IPA was a shock in 1974. Have not been the same since.
    dumpman and jesskidden like this.
  25. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

My sip of craft beer was Pete's Strawberry Blonde (if you could call that craft) back in 1999 and I thought it was great. Of course, I didn't truly get into craft until ten years later.

If Pete's doesn't count, in 2000 I did drink Sam Adams Cherry Wheat sometimes which I thought was amazing. It actually tasted like cherries. Now it tastes like a strong Dr. Pepper.
  26. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

27. Nope, my first craft beer was Sam Adams Boston Lager and I hated it.
  28. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I've been drinking craft for probably in the range of 10 years. Only in the last two or so did I really start to focus on style appreciation and searching out new experiences. But I went to the Brickskeller in DC in the early 2000's still in college and pounding cases of Natty Ice. I drank lots of stuff, liked some (mostly stouts and porters), disliked some stuff (took me a while to get my hoppy feet), but always knew I liked good beer more than bad. Just back then getting a cheap buzz was more important.

Spent post college generally enjoying the macro craft stuff, Sam, SN, but also being perfectly happy drinking BMC on a regular basis. Really expanded with getting into the NYC craft scene in the past two or three years.

So did I like craft from the start? Yes. Did I know what I liked about it? Probably not. Did it take BMC out of my fridge? Not until long after my first sip.
  29. My first was either a Sam Adams, Fat Tire or Shiner Bock (ok not really considered craft these days). I liked it but didn't like the price over the $15 suitcases of shit beer I was guzzling in college. I played around with a few craft beers here and there. Liked most of them. Expanded from there after college.
  30. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Loved craft beer from my very first sip of Sam Adams Boston Ale.
  31. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

No, first one was a Guiness and I hated it at first. First American craft was a Sam Adams Winter Lager and I liked it but did not love it, Arrogant Bastard was the first I loved from first sip.
  32. First I ever had was based on the name, Squatters Polygamy Porter (slogan was "Bet you can't have just one!"). Loved it. A week later a had their IPA and thought it was the nastiest shit alive, and I told myself I'd never drink IPAs, but here I am a few years later daydreaming about Sucks at 9:30 in the morning.
  33. Many pours were drained before my palate became accustomed to beer.
  34. This. I don't remember if it was Two Hearted or SN Pale Ale that I had the first time I tried something non-BMC, but I thought it was the most bitter, revolting thing I'd ever had. Now, of course, they're not strong enough for me.
  35. Yup. I forced myself to drink a few Ruinations in one sitting, and I hated every moment of the first 1.5 bottles. Then, surprisingly :)P) they didn't taste as bad...

But in general I couldn't stand the Maharajas (monster DIPAs), the Czars (alcoholic imperial stouts), and other "big beers," for a while.
  36. Yes. I originally started drinking bmc, but enjoyed that first craft sip for sure
  37. First true craft beer I remember trying was SA BL. I liked it from the beginning.
  38. Loved SNPA from the first sip. Then moved to hefeweizens, witbiers, and American wheat beers and loved them. But I remember when I bought a 6 of SN Celebration for the first time. Thought it was awful. Then a year or 2 later I slowly started getting more into IPA's with Lagunitas, Stone, etc. and tried Celebration again and loved it. So it just depended on the beer style. I loved some at first sip. Others...not so much
  39. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

My palate was way different at 17 to 22ish than it would be later in life (I was 30 when I got into Craft). The first proper craft offering was an Arrogant Bastard I was gifted from a co-worker. I can't say that I much cared for it. About a year later I bought a sixer of Stone IPA, which I liked better, but couldn't see myself drinking all the time - it just seemed too harsh. I always hated BMC, so I really didn't drink much beer from 21 to 29 years of age. When I did drink, it was usually Johnny Walker Red or Black Label. But when I got intro Craft in 2010, it was more or less love at first taste. I was ready, that's all.
    Willbfun likes this.