1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Did you like craft beer from the first sip?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteelCity75, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Funny you should mention the Czar since I'm cracking an aged bottle of that in the next couple of weeks!

Cheers.
  2. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Not in the slightest. I was quite content in my world of thinking Coors Light had SO much flavor! A friend brought over some Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company "Iron Horse IPA". I thought it tasted horrible! I tried hard to finish the bottle telling him it was what I imagined Horse Piss tastes like... Then people at work were talking about Bell's Oberon, and were speaking so highly of it I thought i would give it a show. I loved it and was on an Oberon kick until my first try at Two Hearted Ale. I haven't looked back since and I'm still anxious to try Iron Horse IPA again to see if it was really that bad! :) I am truly loving this ride!
    jbck109 likes this.
  3. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (685) Texas Jan 13, 2007

A friend tried to get me to sample an IPA. I thought it was horrible. I was only drinking major brand beer at the time, but eventually gave IPAs another shot. IPAs have since become one of my favorite styles.
  4. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

I did not. I hated beer from the first sip (had it when I was 12 or 13, probably a Budwesier or something) and began drinking it a bit out of necessity when I was at a bar or club. Finally my undergraduate advisor and gf introduced me to Michigan microbrews and I hated it, although I could tell it was higher quality than the domestics I was used to (and began tolerating). After a couple months of transitioning (Budweiser to Leinie's Summer Shandy/Oktoberfest to craft/microbrew stuff) I fell in love with craft beer and now have a hard time drinking anything less.
  5. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Yeah it was a love at first sip tale for me.
  6. Let's face it: none of us fell out of the womb craving imperial stouts.

For me, it took a bit for me to accept that the bitterness in IPA actually tasted good. Until then, I was accustomed to bitter things tasting bad. It also took a while to get over the notion that something that tasted like coffee (stouts) were good in the form of a cold beer. American barleywines were also tricky because I could hardly appreciate the balance of the beer for the sheer 'bigness' of both the malt sweetness and hop bitterness. And even though I always liked vinegar and Sour Patch kids, it took a while to enjoy that flavor in sour ales as well.

There's probably a similar story for every beer out there, but the simple point is that I had to erase my preconceived notions of what form these flavors could take in order to enjoy them as beer. Since then, I have loved my life!
    frazbri, ontherocks and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

My first craft beer was Rogue Shakespeare stout on nitro, I loved every sip of it. Then a few days later I got a rochefort 10, I was thinking "go big, or go home" I had about three sips and couldn't take it, haha but after some time I tried that beer again and thought it was sublime.
  8. No love at 1st sip for me. Had a roommate that was into it around '04. He let me try a lot of his stuff but I just wasn't that into it. Slowly through the New Castles and the Sam Adams I started enjoying them more and more.
    Found a couple locals that I liked and then when I tried Squall for the 1st time in 09 I was in love!
    Never looked back....
  9. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

At 46, I predate the term "craft beer". When I was a kid there were big domestics, regionals and imports. I typically preferred the European and Canadian Lagers over the big domenstics. I didn't care for the real malty imports like Belhaven Scottish. The regionals were varied greatly. For example, I loved Schmidts, a cheap beer from Philidelphia, but thought Rolling Rock was no better than Busch. Anchor Steam was the first American beer that I went nuts over. Problem was - it was typically only good when I had it in SF. It was often way too aged when I'd get it outside of CA. Sierra Nevada PA indicated more of a change. Once it started hitting the market, the distribution problems seemed to be fixed. It got to me consistently fresh. It was awesome, bitter and hoppy. Then brew-pubs started popping up. I loved the bitter options right away. I loved the brewpubs because I was a homebrewer. I had started homebrewing years earlier in 83' (I was 17). I loved talking to the brewers and learning about recipes and processes of these small brewers.
    frazbri likes this.
  10. corbenlee

corbenlee Aficionado (160) Indiana Apr 27, 2011

My buddy graciously gave me an infected matilda as my first sip of craft beer, and I have never looked back.
  11. Yes, but then I had sort of been "introduced" to things other than BMC through my beer can collecting hobby, including the practice of trading through the mail in the late 1970s. Most of my early beer runs were to pick up cans from regional and local breweries, but I also picked up a few 6-packs of bottles to try, here and there.

Some early steps away from BMC included Ballantine IPA, Rainier Ale, Anchor Steam/Porter/Liberty Ale, Christian Moerlein (1981), Yuengling Porter, Schmidt's Prior Double Dark, Old Chicago Dark, Pabst Bock, Stroh's Bock, Geyer Brothers Light/Dark and Geyer's Lager (Frankenmuth), Straub, Stegmaier Porter, Narragansett Porter, Haffenreffer ("Green Death") Malt Liquor, Shiner Bock, Genesee 12 Horse Ale, Point Bock, Leinenkugel Bock,...plus various Canadian brands. I even got to try Falstaff on draft from Cranston, RI.

I know these brands (that still survive) may not rate very well now, but that is all we had in the "bad old days" of the late 1970s and early 1980s. And I shared my beers with friends and a fair number "caught the bug", not to the point of road trips now to pick up Sexual Chocolate or Hunaphu, but progress is progress.

When I read (in the BCCA magazine, late 1970s) about the opening of New Albion and Boulder Brewing Companies, I traded for full bottles from CA and CO collectors and got to try these early pioneers.
    frazbri likes this.
  12. Haywire

Haywire Savant (410) New Jersey Sep 25, 2012

For the longest time, I stuck to yuengling. It was my go to beer and I thought it was the beer I stick with for life. That was until about 3 years ago. I went with a friend to a local craft brew pub close to work. They didn't sell anything other than craft beer, not even bud. So, I glanced at the list of 22 beers that they had on tap and selected New Holland's Dragon Milk. After that, it was love.
  13. I guess now that I think about it my first craft was a SN Pale Ale. Didn't care for it. Still don't, actually.
    2nd and 3rd craft beers were Duchesse and Duvel and I loved every sip of them. Then I somehow ended up on a year+ long barley wine and Belgian quad binge.

I come from a wine and Whisky background though, and have only drank BMC on one occasion (in the desert and there was no water).
  14. When I was 15 I was at a party at a neighbors house. My friends and I were drinking natural ice. I didn't really like beer at the time, but I liked being drunk. We ran out of beer, so I went in the house and looked in the fridge and saw some fancy looking beer bottles, I'm not sure what it was though.

I grabbed a bottle and went back outside, and could not open it... Not a twist off :).

So my friend (also 15) opened it with his trusty leather man tool, and took a sip, sprayed it out, and let out a disgusted "ugh! This shits nasty!".
    We all yelled at him for wasting beer, and called him a pussy.
    Then I took a chug... I damn near puked, and spit out what I hadn't swallowed.
    I got the same harsh critisizm that my friend got.

Then one, by one the other three guy sipped, and spit this disgusting excuse for a beer out, then we poured it out in the grass...

It was thick like syrup and tasted really bitter.

I've always wondered what it was. Ill bet it was something great.

Fast forward about ten years, I loved good beer from the first one I had.
  15. Good luck. I tried a two year old Czar that turned out to be a drain pour...
  16. Pretty much. Yes.
  17. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think my first craft was probably from Goose Island. I wasn't overly into it, but it was something to drink when I couldn't get a decent glass of wine in a bar. Of course my tastes evolved over the years and when was ready to appreciate craft beers, that's when I really got into it.
  18. This one'll be a year old. I always anticipate drain pours for beers that don't have a preestablished reputation for cellaring. I'll let you know.
  19. I lost my virginity to a bigfoot, after mostly american lagers for many years, that actually delayed or stunted my growth into craft beer advocacy.
  20. The year was 1995. I had cut some Geology class to go play miniature golf and it was some corp fun day at the place.
    They thought we were part of their group ad we handing out SNPA's like it was water. My buddy had had it before but not me, so he told me to take as much as we could.
    The first sip was so-so but it was pure heaven after that.
    Now...I'll have them drinking it at my funeral in my honor.
  21. I never really got into non-craft beer in the first place. My dad always drank Yuengling, so I would have that from time to time (and still do, especially at non-beer bars in the area since it's a decent staple). On my 21st birthday I went out with some friends to a bar/restaurant that has 70ish beers available, got a 7-beer sampler, and fell in love right away with Grimbergen Double Ale as well as Rammstein Dunkelweizen. I believe I enjoyed some others in the sampler, but those 2 really got me hooked on craft beer!
  22. I had speakeasy prohibition ale at 16 along with other beers that I dont recall, I also think I had Abyss back in 06 when I was 18, either way I didnt enjoy them I went back to sipping on my 40oz MGD. However, by the time I got to the age of 21 I had grown tired of tasteless lagers so I went off and bought prohibition and Arrogant bastard and fell in love.
  23. First craft was a Sculpin about 5 years ago. I felt like the nerd on 'Can't Hardly Wait', "Nobody drink the beer! The beer has gone bad!"
  24. dagmer

dagmer Aficionado (115) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Back in the late 80/early90's ,besides Belgian beers which i was resistant to try for whatever reason it seemed the only ones around were anchor steam, sierra nevada and sam adams and I liked them right off the bat. Especially Anchor and SN. Then around came Bells and a few others and late 90's I tried FFF's Alpha King on tap which at the time was way over the top but wonderful. Funny to think now that Alpha King, while still being amazing is sort of mild by todays standards.
  25. First sip of craft was after my hs graduation party. Dad allowed me and my friend into the rest of the "adult" beer that was left over. It was Victory HopDevil. Worst thing I had ever tasted to that point in my life. Hop head for life now but it took until late college to appreciate them.
  26. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

My first craft experience was when I ordered a FFF Gumballhead at a restaurant in Chicago. I really ordered it more because I thought the name sounded cool and being that I was at a bit of a nicer restaurant, I wanted something besides the standard BMC fare. I remember taking the first sip and being like, "Holy shit! This beer actually has flavor!!" It literally blew my mind. Prior to that sip, I lived in a crappy BMC dominated world where crappy adjunct lagers were what I was used to drinking. After that, I made it a point to order craft beers any time I went out to a restaurant that offered them. And the rest is history. And yes, to this day, Gumballhead is still one of my all time favorites :)
  27. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I was on a choir tour, winter of 1990. We'd sing at a church, then would be split up to stay with host families for the night. Our hosts on one fateful were a well-to-do elderly couple near Harrisburg, PA. I remember thinking we hit the jackpot when the husband asked if we'd care for a beer to go with the pizza he was ordering. Sam Adams Winter Lager was served, and damn was it good!
  28. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

My first craft beer was also a Samuel Adams that I had with a pizza at a party, though it was Boston Lager in my case. I had just turned 20 and was finally able to buy my own beer at the monopoly store and had picked up a bottle of it along with Beck's and some different Swedish lagers. It went well with the pizza and was delicious for sure.
  29. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Somewhere in the mid-80s, most definitely. I could immediately tell a big difference from the US macros I'd been drinking. I remember saying, "Hey, this has flavor."
  30. Willbfun

Willbfun Aficionado (150) New York Sep 28, 2012

I liked pbr, peels & schaffer as a kid. Was indoctrinated later on to be a "Bud guy" cause it was the only beer a much older brother who didnt like beer as a toddler would drink. Was more of a toker in "High" School but still drank bud often, and sadly cheaper beer. I had bluemoon & a few beers others then that I don't see around any more cause of a friend. then I gave up drinking for nearly 10 years. Switched gyms to a place with an amazing beer selection right behind it. Since then I've been like a kid in a candy store. even now day's belgian wittes stilll aren't my favorite style. Oh Genesee Cream Ale was a short lived staple of mine back in the day. Belgain Quads & Stouts are my favs. IPA's on a occasion, this summer I'll likely delve into them some more.
  31. Just turned legal age earlier this year, and first "real" craft brew I had was Driftwood Brewing's Pale Ale, which was just fantastic, so you could say that yes, I was into it from the start. However, we have several micros in my neck of the woods, that while they simply aren't as good as craft breweries, produce more than the basic AALs. Only adjunct lager I've ever had, quite honestly, is Molson Canadian, which was pretty horrid. Alexander Keith's got me interested in finding better beer, which has led me to some great brews in the past 2 months with a couple of new ones sitting in wait
  32. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

33. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

My first craft beers were an Old Curmudgeon ale and Cascade the Vine in 2009 and I remember being wowed, just not excited enough to pay premium prices on beer when I could become intoxicated much more easily on "adjunct lagers"....because back when I was 25 the point of drinking was to intoxicate oneself.
  34. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

No, it took me awhile. My first craft beer was an O'Dell's IPA that my dad gave me. I think my face involuntarily contorted in disgust, and he finished the rest of it. My second craft beer was at our little town's only brewery (which is actually quite good), and it was again an IPA. I still hated it, but I choked it down because it had the highest ABV on the beer menu and I was with family...I needed some social lubrication.

The brewery is definitely the most sophisticated place in town to hang out, so after awhile I learned to tolerate and even reasonably enjoy their beers. I stuck to the wheat and the amber. It wasn't until this last summer when I really discovered craft beer and how amazing it is. I'd say the first beer I really truly enjoyed was the brown that they offer. It's not just the means-to-an-end drunk juice, it's the whole reason we're at the brewery! To appreciate the craft. That new found appreciation turned into interest and a passion.

Ironically, as I type this, I'm drinking one of my favorite go-to beers. O'Dell's IPA :)
  35. I thought I hated "beer" when I was young and all we drank was keystone and bud light. I thought it was gross. Then one day when I was 20...echem, 21...I had a sip of my dad's DFH 60 minute and was blown away. Later that month my buddy was moving away and asked what he could grab for me. I said "DFH something minute ipa" so he got me a four pack of DFH 90 minute and I have been spoiled ever since.

edit: I do have to add, I drank the whole four pack but it was a little difficult since it was not as drinkable as 60 (what I was expecting).
  36. Nope. I found my first "craft" beer to be Old Rasputin. I despised it.
  37. Tbud

Tbud Disciple (70) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

One of my first was the Noble Pills. Loved it and it opened my eyes to the beer world
  38. Judgie

Judgie Savant (320) Indiana Nov 21, 2012

Drank the King of Beers for many, many years. Probably fed the Clydesdale's for a few of those years. Tried SA & SN a few times but didn't get it. Got a gift of 12 SN Celebrations for a Christmas gift one year and by the time they were gone, there was no going back.
  39. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

The first actual craft beer I had was Summit Pale Ale. I was really surprised by the bitter taste (I was, to be honest, expecting it to taste more malty and toasty... yay red ales!) but quickly realized that it was the hops. I was iffy at first, but after a few sips it grew on me and here I am.
  40. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (365) Texas Nov 19, 2012

When I first starting drinking beer, I only drank Heineken (hard to imagine today lol). When I eventually turned 21, I then starting trying all the different Samuel Adams I could get my hands on, being that they had such a wide variety and were so easy to find. I did this for about 3-4 months until a good buddy of mind put an Arrogant Bastard Ale in my hand. I was changed for life, haven't looked back since. And to answer your question, yes, I loved the hell out of it :)
    Judgie likes this.