1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

dieu du ciel bottle date coding

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jnorton00, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Anyone know how to tell the date on these bottles? There's numbers 0-9 with a notch in one then another 0-9 with a notch.
  2. Dieu du Ciel: Uses a bottled on date for Canadian bottles ONLY. On the left side of the front label, there are months (1-12) and years (10, 11, etc...). Each is notched.

info from
    https://sites.google.com/site/freshbeeronly/
  3. I have 0-9 twice though
  4. as does mine. Im thinking its from before 2010.
  5. Mine has 4 and 5 notched, I wonder if its really April 2005 or may 2004
  6. yea I was thinking the same think. Im just assuming mine says 3-5 means March of 2005. the label looks worn.
  7. My label looked pretty good and while its possible I think its a bit strange that there were 6 year old bottles of peche mortel sitting in a big well known store here but maybe this beer is just that underrated still.
  8. I think its one of those beers that unless you do your research, you have no idea what it is. Honestly, I wouldnt have known what it was unless I was given a bottle of Spring break.
  9. kuhndog

kuhndog Savant (330) New York Sep 6, 2011

My bottle of Derniere Volonte has the same dates notched. I find it hard to believe that they are that old. My local store just got a new shipment of this beer. Although the bottle I tasted had not much hop flavor for a pale ale.
  10. Email the brewery. No way in hell is your bottle from 2005...
  11. Any new perspective on this? The label on mine has a first notch on the 4 and the second notch between the 5 and 6
  12. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

When someone actually figures out the bottling code, please let me know. There's no way I have vintage Aphrodite/Aphrodisiaque and Solstice D'hiver, even if both sit on shelves forever here
    ERRL710 likes this.
  13. wow i'm surprised not one person read the first answer in this post....DDC only bottle dates their Canadian bottles, therefore, all of you in the US will not get a bottled on date...
    jegross2 likes this.
  14. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

'touche salesman I too have an uncle'
  15. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (315) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

So why are the notches there? I also had a peche recently that was marked from '05 from a store that sells out regularly, and was rather confused.
  16. I've spoken to a couple guys from Canada who says the notches on the bottles distributed in US are batch numbers and not months/years. I have a couple bottles of Peche Mortel with an angel on the cap that have a notch in the first set of number between 04/05 and 07/08 in the second. Also have another bottle with only a black cap with notches between 04/05 and 05/06. Any info on these would be great.
  17. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (390) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

For people searching out this info in the future: the notched numbers (in the US at least) refer to a batch number. I don't think anyone has compiled a list of known batches to dates, but some people have had luck emailing the brewery to find out the actual dates based on the batch number.