1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DIPA glassware recommendation

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlaskanYoung, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Was at drydock brewery in Aurora,CO lastweek and i was trying quite a few of their beers, all of which were served in a pint,except one beer. As i was drinking i was searching beers on BA. I ordered a DIPA in a tulip (ba recommended glassware). The bartender said it would be an abomination to serve a dipa in a tulip. I said id like it in a tulip and was told the best she could do was a taster pint (they have tulips,snifters etc all behind the bar). We exchanged words about it for a minute and ultimately i just got a pint. Had i not made a 1500mi trip to CO to visit breweries, i probably would've just left after already spending $100. So my question is, are BAs recommendations accurate?
    lancecenter likes this.
  2. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I think you're over thinking this.
    ncaudle, MrHolland10, grrrah and 5 others like this.
  3. yes absolutely, even if its not a really heavy beer (stout, dipa) etc. i still enjoy using my duvel glass for session beers, makes the flavor and aroma a lot more pronounced IMO, compared to the typical pint glass at least
    lancecenter, KevinMc79 and Kopfschuss like this.
  4. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (675) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Anyone who tells you it's an abomination to serve a DIPA in a tulip vs a pint is clearly an idiot or is just trying to be a jerk.
  5. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Um, you were paying for the beer (and more than one from the sound of it.) What did the bartender care what glass you drank it from?
  6. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Glass styles are suggestions and not rules. We all may have preference in glassware but we should expect to drink it in the glass of the establishments choosing. We may not agree with their choice but it is probably best to just roll with it.

Personally I am not one to pour my DIPAs in tulips but I would be hard pressed to say it is inappropriate.
    cmannes, harrylee773 and sirtomtom like this.
  7. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I think tulips are awesome, they do hold less though don't they? There are times though, I go to the bar and just want to hold a giant pint glass. It just feels good.
  8. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I never quibble over glassware in bars or brewpubs. Most places seem to skip over tulips and snifters for more durable almighty pint or nonic. I can understand that.
    harrylee773 likes this.
  9. It could be because she wnold not be able to know when she had poured a pint, in another glass.
  10. mobius387

mobius387 Savant (385) Florida Dec 5, 2010

"drink from the can!" says heady topper
  11. while i suppose i'd prefer a tulip, if the tulip was 12oz and the shaker pint was 16oz, then i'll choose the shaker pint every time.
  12. My sam adams 'Perfect Pint' Glass is used for everything. Especially DIPAs!
  13. jgluck, GFG and danpam1024 like this.
  14. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Any glass with a little tulip to it will enhance just about any beer. There are tulip pints, stemmed tulips, etc... To say that it would be an abomination to serve a DIPA in a pint glass is laughable. Last time I ordered Gubna on tap it came in a 10oz tulip/goblet, without having to ask for it.
    lancecenter and WickedSluggy like this.
  15. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

It's beer, enjoy it in a care free state of mind as it's meant to be enjoyed. Don't fret over silly things like this man!
    jimcivis likes this.
  16. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I can see that. But since most tulips tend to hold a bit less than an average pint glass, she would be pouring less, right? I just don't see the point of arguing with a paying customer to the extent that he or she is still stewing about it days later. On the other hand, I also don't see the point in arguing with a bartender over the glass to the point of being ticked off about it. It's a glass. In the grand scheme of things, why let that ruin a good time?
  17. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

you the award for the strangest avatar I've seen in my time on this site. Also, I wish more of the customers at my bar cared about the glasses! we use tulips, pints, and snifters for different styles/sizes, but occasionally people will actually turn down a beer because they don't want a "fancy/girly" glass; their loss, I suppose.
    lancecenter and KevinMc79 like this.
  18. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

The only glass anyone should use at all is the Teku. It accentuates the flavor of hype.
    HipsterBrewfus, ufmj, j47paco and 6 others like this.
  19. It depends on what the bar calls a pint. In NJ a lot of places pour a 12 or 14 oz "pint" not 16. Tulips can be deciving. I have a Palm tulip that can hold 22 oz when filled close to the brim. An oversized wine glass can hold 16 oz bottle of beer with ease. Your right no point in arguing about it .
    mecummins likes this.
  20. I would drink DIPA's in tulips.
    lancecenter likes this.
  21. I'll skip over the discussion over what is the right glass, as I sip my HopSlam in a Storm King pint glass.

On the other issue here, as someone was has spent over twenty years asking for soft drinks and mainstream beers to be served in stemware for the women in my family, my reaction is "what is the bartender's problem?".

I mean, I can see the abomination line as a joke, but in the end, give the customer what they want when it's that easy.
    lancecenter and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  22. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I drink my DIPAs from tulpis or snifters. In the end, it doesn't really matter. It was stupid that he was arguing with you though. You could have gotten really mad and walked out, and he would have lost a costumer. Stupid from a business point of view. Just serve the beer
    lancecenter likes this.
  23. Tulip glass all the way!
    lancecenter and timontheroad like this.
  24. FACT!
    lancecenter likes this.
  25. Ive done this once at a restaurant that isnt known for beer.

I once ordered a Flower Power and it came in an old style pilsner glass while a friend ordered a gin/vodka/whatever and tonic and it came in a duval style tulip. I asked for a tulip for my second Flower Power and everything was fine.
  26. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I think both you and the bartender are taking it a bit too seriously.
    jimcivis likes this.
  27. Can't go wrong with either a pint glass or a tulip IMO.
  28. Agreed
  29. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Beer is supposed to be fun ... we recomend it though we don't expect people to live by it, it is a personal preference (choice).

Just had this DIPA in my Spiegelau glass ... but I drink nearly every beer out of this glass.

[​IMG]
    Etan, BrownAleMale, seakayak and 3 others like this.
  30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I bet you were so worried about drinking the dipa from a tulip that you didn't even get a bottle of blighs.
    HipsterBrewfus and dperga like this.
  31. I got 1-3 of everything they had for sale
  32. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I like big wine glasses that I get at the Dollar Store. They are perfect beer glasses for most styles. If you want to.actually fill it, it will hold almost a full bomber. So I guess they have a 21 ounce capacity. $1 is a great price too. Ive got shitloads of them.
    rosmhuire likes this.
  33. Other than the glassware travesty, did you try the Hefeweizen? So good.
    lancecenter likes this.
  34. This is the correct answer.
    Quite frankly, if you asked for the beer to served in your boot, thee correct response woulf be
    "Left or right boot sir."
  35. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Perfect glass choice in my opinion. I always drink DIPA's out of a short stemmed tulip/snifter such as this.
    lancecenter likes this.
  36. the duvel tulip is a pretty rad glass. The SA perfect pint or whatever is a really functional piece of glassware.
    gjoker321 and lancecenter like this.
  37. The Spiegelau glass above looks similar to the glass I drink everything from when at home... the New Belgium globe. Everything from SNPA to Sucks to Raspy, yum!
  38. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

After having Boulevard's Double-Wide IPA from their own Smokestack tulip glass, I will be pouring DIPA's into a tulip from now on. Perfect glass for DIPA's IMO, just perfect.

Side note: I also find Sam Adams Boston Lager glasses work great for just about ANYTHING in a pinch. I highly recommend them to anyone getting into craft/quality beer. Great all-purpose glass. Can be had for $3 at many stores = no brainer purchase.
    lancecenter likes this.
  39. one without holes