1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DIPA glassware recommendation

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlaskanYoung, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Baller

beercanman likes this.
  2. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Libbeys is where I got my sniffers. I got those glasses on the link as well. Really cheap at the factory store.

3. How much $ ?

4. The Bottle Buddy. Turn any Bottle into a stein. Problem solved! ;)

[​IMG]

jgluck, gjoker321 and 1up like this.
  5. Premo88 likes this.
  6. braugon

braugon Savant (355) Connecticut Mar 14, 2013

gotta keep these on deck for kolsch

[​IMG]

7. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I like my Piraat tulip as a good all-purpose glass. Tulips in general are great for anything that isn't heavily carbed. Tulip glasses are useful for "forcing" head on a beer that otherwise might not form one, which is particularly helpful for beers that are high in alcohol.

8. I would pay my bill and leave with no tip. There are plenty of places that will let you have whatever glass you want! It's not like you were in the wrong.

9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Around 3$ a glass. Pretty good quailty as well

10. hagbergl

hagbergl Savant (285) Maryland Aug 27, 2009

Great looking glass.

lancecenter likes this.
  11. Damn, you're lucky that it's right in Toledo, OH. Not so much for me. Haven't ever seen this glass in person, not even BBB which is a Libbey whore.

12. I never said that it didn't serve it's purpose. I said I thought it was ugly which is purely subjective.

13. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (360) New York Sep 18, 2005

Snifter. This glass is nice for many reasons, including taking the chill out of the beer if necessary. Resting it in your palm helps with this if need be

14. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Beer bong

craigo19 likes this.
  15. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I use a snifer, tulip or Lagunitas Jar for all of my beers.

16. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

lancecenter and 1up like this.
  17. Whoa good info, thanks!

18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

No sweat - and by the way - search "Libbey beer glass" on Amazon and you'll find lots of good glassware. I got the Craft Brew Sampler and I love all the glasses - 'cept the stange, actually - and I'd imagine you can buy 4+ glass sets of any of the styles.

Oh, and all the way back to the OP:
    A tulip is suitable for (*almost*) any beer at any time. The guy giving you the beer sounded like he was being a bit dickish. Either glass would be fine. If he didn't have any, he could have just said, "we don't have any," right?

I like to try different glasses with any beer, and over time, I've developed my preferences. To me, the pint glass does seem to be a personality match with American IPA/DIPAs. But with a Belgian pale of any sort (even IPA), I'd go with a tulip - see, but that's just me.

There are no rules - experiment along the way and then go with what suits you once you find it.

19. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

I have a Short's nonic that I use for most beers. Haven't really ventured into the tulip yet.

20. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

ISO: Sniffer

1up likes this.
  21. I have some really nice wine glasses but id rather look at the little gnome on my choufe glass.

Side note - ISO Fantome Tulip! :)

22. gjoker321

gjoker321 Savant (455) Florida Dec 26, 2007

23. I generally likey my Duvel glass very much but for me it just ain't macho enough for DIPAs or Imperial IPAs. Straight sleeve pint glass all the way.

24. hornsup

hornsup Savant (335) Virginia Nov 29, 2012