1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Discontinuation of Sierra Nevada Tumbler

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SnowFlowMfg, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Is anyone else really bummed that Tumbler is discontinued? I have been drinking it for years now and love it. This year's has been particularly good so i'm really sad I can't even find it on a shelf anywhere.

2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Seriously bummed. I had a great time with this beer this year. Sad that SN is falling into the IPA trap with most other breweries. I felt they were above that.

3. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

I don't think it's a bad beer, but it was probably my least purchased SN product, mostly the occassional draft at a bar. But if something does not sell there's not much else for a business to do. There have also been reports that in some markets distributers are holding back releasing Celebration to stores until Tumbler is off the shelves...which is not good for anyone.

4. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I don't buy a lot of Tumbler each year (probably a sixer or two), but I really do love that beer and look forward to it each year. Will be bummed to not see it on shevles next year. Flipside Red IPA is good, but I enjoy Tumbler more.

5. I'm bummed.

6. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

I really hope they aren't just going to replace Tumbler with only Flipside. I wonder what Sierra Nevada could do in the dark lager style.

7. It was my go-to football tailgating beer, it will be missed.

8. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

yes I even BM them and emailed them. we never even got this years allotment, for some reason. Or maybe I was just blind this year...its possible.

email from them:
    We brewed less Tumbler this year to allow Flipside a bit of shelf time and—::deep breath::—it’s looking like Tumbler will bow out of our seasonal lineup. The scorn of some folks will be palpable, we know. Many of us at the brewery really enjoy the liquid, too. Fact is, Tumbler debuted to big success, but demand has subsequently fallen until it’s no longer practical to continue. Shifting tastes, seasonal creep, bad juju—who knows the reason it fell from favor. We’ve learned to never say never, but it’s unlikely Tumbler will be back in the foreseeable future. If you’re after malt-centric brews, check out the likes of Narwhal Imperial Stout and our longstanding Porter and Stout, all of which are great warmers.

Cheers,

Ryan Arnold

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

1075 E. 20th St.

Chico, CA 95928

9. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I think they're just falling into the trap of trying to make beers that will generate a profit, as opposed to taking up shelf space...

10. This would not be happening if they had just stayed with their "original" SN Brown Ale recipe

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  11. jmw

In addition to the email response to azorie above, BA sierranevadabill confirmed this for us in the Flipside thread recently:

12. Impermanence teaches the Buddha. Nothing is forever. Lament the loss, but look forward to new experiences.

13. Long live the brown ales

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I'm sad and angry because it was replaced by yet another IPA. Yet another example of why it is an oversimplification and outright wrong to simply think that what you choose to drink doesn't affect others' choices. Sierra Nevada Bill also mentioned here on BA that Kellerweiss wasn't doing so great with sales either.

tronester, Jsteez, Tidesox28 and 7 others like this.
  15. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (655) California Dec 15, 2012

I'm bummed. I haven't tried it before, but it was on my list to try. I had no idea they were going to retire that beer after this summer.

16. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Good riddance.

17. azorie

You think they could afford to just have a fuller menu of beer types....but it seems not. West coast thinking?

I love the Kellerweiss also, but hey they can drop it I will drink more BM. there loss.

18. I'm not sure I understand what this means? Can we afford to have a fuller menu of beers? You mean more variety of styles?

-B

19. azorie

yea. You are so hop centric. are you not? porter and stout are even hoppy imho. with the exception of olivia series. everything is a tad over hopped...Still I do love the porter/stout.
    I mean its a west coast thing to hop the heck out of the beer. right? I am not bitching.
    I would like to see a different line up, but hey its your company, I am just expressing my 2 cents. FWIW

trust me I know no 1 cares what I think on the hop subject.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    KS1297 likes this.
  20. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

It is one of the SN seasonals I probably enjoyed the least. This isn't saying it's bad, but more rather that their seasonals are usually so good. They're a brewery whose decisions I trust so if this had to go to make room for Flipside or something else new, I'm sure it's the right move.

21. It's a good beer, no doubt about that. With that said, I don't buy it very often, and I didn't buy it this year yet. I completely understand the switch. If you want it again, brew a duplicate.

22. It IS true that we skew toward the hoppy. For one, man, we just really like hops. Always have, always will. That aside, we've done many wide-release beers that weren't quite as hop-focused and by-and-large they've underperformed. (Porter, Stout, Kellerweis, Glissade) at some point, it seems that people vote with their dollars, and in our case, most of the beers that are super-popular are the hop focused selections. This is purely speculation, but I've heard before that we've become so synonymous with hop-forward beers that people now expect Sierra to mean hops. I've heard that as a reason why more people haven't tried Kellerweis in fact, people are either expecting a fruity witbier BM style, or something hoppy, neither of which accurately describes Keller. Some things we may never know.
    Personally, and this is just me speaking, I love hops, but I also love beers that aren't about hops. Kellerweis for example is one of my all-time favorite beers we have ever made. I wish it were better loved. I really do.

*(spoiler alert)* 2014 will be very hop centric with new Sierra Nevada releases... and boy, there are a lot of 'em. Stay tuned for more details.

-Bill

23. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

To me, Sierra Nevada is synonymous with hops. You guys were one of the first and still one of the best makers of BIG hoppy beers. Keep doing what you do well, SN.

Looking forward to all of the hop centric beers in 2014, as well as the Beer Camp Across America series!!

nickmantia and WassailWilly like this.
  24. I love brown ales, but I wasn't a big fan of Tumbler. I felt it was missing something that I just couldn't put my finger on.

I really wish SN would release the Weizenbock from the first Beer Camp pack. That was an excellent beer, and one I would enjoy in the fall.

FlipSide does nothing for me.

Edit: another awesome idea would be a dunkel version of Kellerweis for the fall.

25. azorie

No surprises there. lol We are on the same page. I know you folks love hops. I still Love me some SNPA, and always will. Still its at my limit for hops bombs. some of us are more into balance and malt favor...

If I ever get in to a beer camp I am going to make me a beer I LOVE. lol

the_trystero likes this.
  26. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I love your non-hoppy beers. I buy/bought Glissade and Summerfest. I think Kellerweis is one of the absolute top American-brewed hefeweizens. And I just bought a sixer of Tumbler a couple of weeks ago. It will be missed. /salute

27. jmw

not liking the implications here. please don't take the porter and stout from us.

28. I'm actually drinking one now. It's good, but not great. Flipside is better, imo.

scotorum likes this.
  29. TheFlern

TheFlern Savant (385) Idaho May 9, 2009

Of all the breweries to release more hop forward beers Sierra is the one most likely to make a really good beer. So are we looking at different kinds of IPAs in 2014 or different styles that are hopped up?

30. Ranbot

I would be way more bummed about losing Kellerweis! Outside of Germany, there's very few wheats/hefs that can compete with Kellerweis, and of those they don't have Sierra Nevada's great distribution and pricing.

31. Jirin

Jirin Savant (310) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

I'm not that surprised. I'm not a hop fan, and here's the thing about Sierra Nevada's non-hoppy beers. I like Tumbler, but there are other similar beers I like better. I like Kellerweiss, but there are other similar beers I like better. These are good beers but do not stand out among the competition the way their more hoppy beers do.

TheFlern likes this.
  32. ejn22

ejn22 Zealot (75) New Jersey Jan 13, 2013

As great as SN's hoppy beers are (and they are), to me, what really makes SN such a fantastic brewery is the quality of their beers across so many styles. Beers like Tumbler or Kellerweis or even something like Glissade are/were fantastic representations of underappreciated styles, and as a consumer, I always feel comfortable taking a chance on SN's version of a style I'm not that familiar with because I know it will be a quality product and a solid introduction to that style. I understand the market pressures involved, but I am bitterly disappointed to see Tumbler go away (really the perfect fall beer and by far the best American brown on the market), and I'm concerned that in a decade, based on the way things seem to be going, there won't be much availability in the US market of solid non-hoppy offerings other than huge imperial stouts.

mconn13, jmw and azorie like this.
  33. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

I'm not going to weigh-in on Tumbler (i'm just not a brown fan), but I will give my condolences :p
    I would love to see SN's take on a scotch ale, but I'm sure there would already be (a regular) one if it were feasible. Can't wait to see what 2014 has to offer!

34. bjmh

bjmh Aficionado (145) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

I certainly did my part to prop up the sales of Tumbler! Probably drank 2+ cases this fall--and loved it. Two bottles left in my fridge, which might just be my Halloween treat to myself tonight! I am a big fan of IPA's, but I also love to mix it up with other styles. Fortunately for me, I've got another brown ale that I really like--Mt. Carmel Nut Brown Ale is brewed about 15 miles from my home, and available pretty much year round here in Cincinnati. I'm disappointed that Tumbler is to be no more, but I won't diss SN for it--if the sales don't justify continuing production... SN makes some great beers at great prices.

Bob

SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  35. Darn.....Tumblr is a really good beer. A lot better than it gets credit for.

naloxone, Jsteez, MilkManX and 4 others like this.
  36. djs467

djs467 Aficionado (230) Colorado Mar 1, 2011

I'm upset with this not because I am going to miss Tumbler, but because a Brown Ale is being replaced by yet another IPA. Last year Glissade was replaced by Ruthless Rye IPA.
    IMO Sierra Nevada is a top notch brewer that puts out great beers, but usually companies try to diversify their portfolio to appeal to a broad audience, not narrow it. Here is what I mean:

Of Sierra Nevada's 4 seasonal beers (Celebration, Ruthless Rye, Summerfest and Flipside Red), only summerfest is not an IPA. 75% of their seasonal beers are IPA's.
    Almost all of their limited releases are IPA's (Northern Harvest, Southern Harvest, Estate, Devistation)
    The Beer Camp this year had a Black IPA, a Imperial Red Ale and some other IPA. Nothing else.
    I do like the Ovila, but that to is shrinking. The first year of it (I think 2011), they released 4 beers (Saison, Dubbel, Quad and Golden Ale). This year they are releasing 2.

I know that SN is doing this because IPA's dominate the market and are generally approachable to newbies, but pretty soon SN will be the brewery that makes only IPAs

Jsteez, tzieser, StuartCarter and 4 others like this.
  37. Ranbot

Yeah, I heard a rumor that Sierra Nevada is going to start putting gargoyles on their labels... ;) just kidding...

ColinStClaire likes this.
  38. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (330) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

....my thoughts exactly, but extend that to Kellerweis. Probably my favorite of their year-round lineup.

39. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I personally am disappointed that Tumbler will be gone after this batch. I had grabbed a sixer here and there when I found it, then I found a new shipment came in and grabbed a couple more 12-packs.
    I'm looking for a good clone recipe so I can brew something pretty close at home, and one person did BM me one, (Thanks again, though I don't remember your name offhand) but I want to see a couple more before I settle on a brewing recipe.
    I'm thinking a dash of pale chocolate malt, some roasted, and a dash of smoked in there, and not much hop presence, but beyond that I'm stuck.

Crafts_and_recreation likes this.
  40. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

It'll be back, just keep asking for it.

SnowFlowMfg likes this.