1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by HuskyinPDX, Aug 29, 2012.

1. I am at the Portland pub and there are big signs that say Dissident release on 9.7.12. Anybody have any more details on this???

2. squaremile

squaremile Savant (340) Oregon Aug 25, 2007

Details: Dissident is being released on 9-7-12 @ 11am @ Deschutes Portland & Bend Pubs.

3. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

4. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

5. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

How long is the line or is this something that normally sticks around for a few weeks like BB24?

6. boMD

I remember shirts from last time.

7. boMD

the 2010 Dissident sold out at the Portland Pub within a few hours. It also didn't last long at bottle shops. Even with strict bottle limits it sold out within a day at most places. I think the demand for it is high and with a release every two years, beer geeks are anxious to get their mitts on bottles.

8. "Put a bird on it."

amcmaho1, dc55110, IpeeA and 2 others like this.
  9. I want a dissident t-shirt something fierce.

10. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I got one in 2010 and never wear it. The waxed collar makes it really uncomfortable.

DonDirkA, chew76, BillHilly and 6 others like this.
  11. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

this is exciting! Hopefully SD will get some more than last release. It was a pain to find and I was lucky to stumble on the one bottle I did get. The shirt sounds cool, I am interested in seeing what it looks like.

12. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

My dissident T-shirt shrank. I need a new one.

13. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I missed out on Berserker & getting frustrated. Sure hope I don't miss out on this one as well. Help?

14. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Just saw another tweet from Super Deli Mart...more in, a surprise even to them...
    Edit: (Berserker related, not Dissident)

15. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

A little more Berserker should be showing up around town. Allocation went out last week, this week they're sending out the remaining cases ;)

16. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Not to hijack the thread, but thanks for the updates irt Berserker. Wish I saw the posts earlier. Just got back from Seattle and not about to go all the way back down to West Seattle. Hope it shows up around here at either Centeral Market or Special Brews. PDX still waiting according to their thread. Surprised. Was at Belmont Station on Monday & word was Tuesday arrival.

17. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Central Market had it Friday. Spencer posted.

18. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

In Bend, it will be gone within a week of release at the brewery.

19. Got word yesterday that due to low yield, there will be no Dissident draft available this go round, bottle only.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  20. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

That is sad.

21. Sweet, I'll be in Portland on the 7th.

22. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

You guys think all of the experimenting with Dissident for the Collage project is the reason this release is so limited with zero kegs?

23. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

It's long gone at Central.

NWer, I could hook you up with a bottle if you want to work something out.

24. boMD

I believe the Dissident used for Collage was a special one off batch for the blend. Much like the other three beers involved. But I'm not 100% in that.

Same thing happened in 2010. Not as extreme as not having a tap version, but the bottle count was slashed before release because if production issues.

25. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

The dissident that went into Collage was from a Pinot Barrel, you are correct. But from what I understood at the dinner, they had taken a bunch of dissident and put it into 4 types of barrels. Then played around with the blending until they chose the Pinot version. Based on that I was assuming that since they used a bunch of base Dissident for that experiment, it might have contributed to this. I really don't know though, just was a thought that came to mind. I wasn't here for the last Dissident release so I can't compare this to then.

26. Right. Your shirt shrank. I feel you. All of my clothes have shrunk since I started drinking tons of craft.

27. Shmeal

relative to me it shrank hehe

28. The signs up at Deschutes say on tap and bottles. Fwiw.

optophobia likes this.
  29. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

I am going to be out of town for this release. If anyone can grab me an extra bottle or two, I would be most appreciative. I can offer cash or Berserker as a 1:1 if anyone is interested.

30. I'll do 1:1 with Beserker

31. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

This reminds me I have one in the cellar I need to crack. Anyone try theirs from last round?

32. caskstrength

caskstrength Savant (310) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

had the 2010 a few weeks ago, it was excellent. Good drinking now.

Dubbercody and djbreezy like this.
  33. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Ditto, thought the 2010 is drinking great.

I am tempted to do the vert (08, 10, 12) to see how they age vs. fresh...but need to get some 2012! :)

34. This is my plan. Fingers crossed.

35. Shmeal

How long did 2010 dissident stay on shelves? I didn't get any around the time of release but got really lucky in December when my local QFC found a case in the back of the store.

36. It doesn't really age.... It doesn't get worse or anything it just doesn't change at all..
    (source:08 and 10 side by side when 10 was released

37. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I'll be in Portland on Saturday the 8th. Is there any chance it'll be available at Deschutes the day after? It sounds like it'll only last a few hours. If that's the case, will any make it out to shops that Saturday in Portland? Thinking I'll miss out on this...even though I'll be so close.

38. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm confused by this. The 08 and 10 releases were substantially different, both in my opinion and in the opinion of pretty much everyone else I've spoken to. Are you actually saying you thought 2 year old 08 tasted the same as newly released 10?

boMD likes this.
  39. When i did them they were both almost identical, the 08 being a hair more refined.

40. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I loved the '08 and thought the '10 was pretty meh, both on tap and in the bottle. Had it fresh and a year old and didn't care for it. Really hope this batch is closer to the '08 than the '10...though I do know people who really like the '10.

bbarnumboy likes this.