1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by HuskyinPDX, Aug 29, 2012.

1. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Just like Collage!

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  2. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

When I was at the PDX pub drinking it on tap (they were already out of bottles), I asked several people working there, and they all said..."Oh, you'll be able to get it at Fred Meyer."

Of course, they likely don't know anything...but still.

3. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

Two things: I meant to say my distributor for Deschutes (not an actual brewery rep). and he now tells me that it hasn't even shipped from Bend yet. Looks like end of the month/early October. Still hope the numbers are correct.

4. got my 3 friday night, tried to stop by again sunday, and they were gone... hoping eugene gets some in distro. i had it on tap friday night... good stuff... i don't care for the glass style, but that's fine... :)

5. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has updated information on when Dissident will be hitting stores around Portland. Any help is appreciated!

6. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

The word I have heard now is that there was an issue with the bottling line and much of it hasn't been bottled yet. Hence the low bottle yield at the initial release. Once the bottling line is operational (which is one that is specific to the Dissident to avoid brewery wide infection), than it'll be bottled and distributed. I guess this one is all about having an ear to the wall.

7. That seems a bit of an odd explanation... but OK. :)

8. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

I believe this is true. I took a tour recently of the brewery while in Bend and was told they usually contract out the bottling of Dissident. Since this is their only sour, they chose to not bottle themselves to prevent the spread of bugs and infecting other beers.

While on the tour though, our guide mentioned they lost gallons and gallons of Dissident this year due to an issue with bottling. He mentioned they are in the process of purchasing and setting up a separate bottling line for Dissdent only (and hopefully other wilds down the road) to avoid mishaps. Likely more Dissident in the future.

9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I was talking to the owner of pint defiance (Tacoma), and he mentioned the same thing (delay in the release due to some sort of bottling problem). He didn't know any of the details, but I gather that's what the Deschutes rep told him. He wasn't entirely sure when he would receive his allocation (he was expecting something like 3 to 5 cases, as I recall), but was under the impression that it would be sometime in either early or mid October.

10. bottling issues doesn't surprise me. with the bottles i have theres a 3/4" fill level difference in them. not an issue for me but that is a bit of variation especially for deschutes

11. Has this arrived in the Seattle area yet?

12. aedeos

aedeos Aficionado (150) Washington Dec 15, 2007

I've not seen it north of there.

13. FYI the Portland pub still has bottles.

14. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Really, I thought they were out. Maybe they got more.

15. They did a second bottling not very long ago, so I'm sure that's why they have more.

16. I really would love to try one of these bad boys !!!! FT....? Anything I can get in WNY area that you want for this .

17. They didn't have a ton, as far as I could tell. Just a few bottles behind the register and some above the bar. At the release they had stacks of cases.

18. Picked up 3 bottles tonight at the Portland Brewpub.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  19. After the bottling snafu, is this actually going to see distribution up in WA?

20. When did they get more? I was there on Monday 10/1, and they had none in bottles or on tap.

21. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Dissident will hit the shelves in Seattle/Tacoma area late next week.

22. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Excellent. Time to talk to the mule. :)

23. Only 7 bottles left at Portland Pub

24. Not sure. I went for the Jubelale release and happened to see them on the shelves.

25. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

They showed up on Wednesday I think

26. BigE90

BigE90 Aficionado (235) Washington Mar 19, 2011

PDX pub still had bottles still last night. I was there late and even took home a few myself. Good luck to those still looking!

27. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Had some on tap at the Bend pub this morning. Taaaaaaaysteee. They said they'd have more bottles for sale in a week or two. Vagueness...

28. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I sure hope this hits in the DFW area.

29. Anyone find any dissident in the Seattle area or know when it's gonna hit??

30. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Friday for sure...possibly tomorrow.

31. well, it just landed at 99 bottles....

32. bigredbee

bigredbee Aficionado (100) Oregon Feb 11, 2006

care to share how you managed that? Most places I've talked to said they'd be getting 1 maybe 2 cases

33. caskstrength

caskstrength Savant (320) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

How is this year tasting?

34. bigredbee

bigredbee Aficionado (100) Oregon Feb 11, 2006

@beefandbean22: Ha, when I first read this I thought you said you landed 99 bottleso_O

Boz12 and beefandbean22 like this.
  35. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

You can see my review, but my main advice is: Don't drink it cold. It loses all its flavor at refrigerator temperature like no other beer I've experienced.

36. Total Wine in Bellevue got 3 cases in. Limit 2 per customer, possibly changing it to 1 per customer if it starts to go fast.

37. Malt & Vine just got some in as well, keeping it in the back, one bottle limit.

38. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Good advice for most craft beers. ;)

checktherhyme likes this.
  39. Picked one up before heading home to Seattle. Still had few left, although most everyone in the store had a bottle in their hand.

40. It's at U Villiage QFC right now, though not out front yet (as of this afternoon). If you ask, they're happy to grab you a bottle or two, though. They also have TREAT back there.