1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by HuskyinPDX, Aug 29, 2012.

1. TREAT, really? I guess I know where I'm heading tomorrow after the University Farmers Market.

2. It's around now. The Beer Junction also said they had it. I think it came in yesterday or the day before. Doesn't sound like there's much of it, though. Even QFC was imposing a 2 bottle limit.

3. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

It's not the oak aged version, is it? If it is it's infected. Just tried mine, and there's a thread about it. Just a heads up. That said I really want the regular version.

4. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Anyone wanna trade a TREAT for a Cowiche Canyon Freshie...I'll send you two for one.

5. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

How do I find said thread?

6. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

7. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

8. csano

9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Not sure why, but Tacoma seems a bit slow to get any in. The GF stopped by Tacoma Boys and Pint Defiance, and neither had it in yet (or seemed to know anything about when they will get it in). Hopefully it will arrive soon.

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Anticipated beers always show up in King County a few days to a week before they show up in Snohomish County as well. Blame the distributor.

11. Lordkrystic

Pint Defiance got it yesterday.

12. Lordkrystic

Tacoma boys has them now also.

13. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I was just in the ballard fred meyer, not intending to buy beer, but I walked down the beer aisle anyways and found a shelf stocked full with the dissident so of course I had to get 2. What have you guys paid? I paid $14.99 per bottle.

14. Lordkrystic

15 is what i keep seeing.

15. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Paid $11.49 at Total Wine - 2 bottle limit. I had one of the two bottles I got and I thought it was pretty good (slightly too hot and sweet though).

16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Damn. I went down there last night hoping to score some (since they had a ton of Abyss last year, figured they might get a fair amount of Dissident) but none was out. Drove over to U Village QFC today and grabbed a couple bottles ($14.99 too), but would have much rather gone back to Freddie's today and avoided the weekend crosstown traffic.

17. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Yep. Turns out they had just gotten it in when the GF stopped by on Friday, but the woman she spoke to wasn't familiar with it. It was even out on display on the floor, but she (the GF) just didn't see it. Anyway, I spoke to the owner on Saturday, and he indicated they had gotten 10 cases in, and at this point weren't imposing any purchasing limits. Not sure what they were charging, but everything else there is well priced, so I would assume this is as well.

The GF lives a mile from PD, so it was no problem for her to shoot over and pick up a couple of bottles on Saturday. She mentioned that there was a display on the floor, but that it appeared half of the selection had already been picked over.

Probably just as well I don't live anywhere close to PD. They seem to have rude parrot IPA on tap almost all the time, and as I just love the stuff, I'm sure I'd be a permanent fixture there if I lived close by.

libbey likes this.
  18. bigredbee

bigredbee Aficionado (100) Oregon Feb 11, 2006

Here in Portland, I've seen it two different places. 1) Whole Foods in Hillsboro, they had just one case at noon today. The beer guy said it would be gone by the end of the day. 2) John's Market in Multnomah village, 2 cases landed at 11:30 just as I entered the store. They wouldn't let me buy one as it was still on the shipping pallet. I went back at 6pm, and they only had two left.

19. Nope, just the normal version. Had one that night and it's definitely not infected!

20. slaintemhor

slaintemhor Aficionado (225) Oregon Feb 11, 2009

This evening I popped in to Pearl Specialty on NW Lovejoy (in Portland) and lo and behold, there were seven bottles of '12 Dissident on the shelf :0) At $14.99 each I got four (there were no limits, but I didn't want to be a piggy) and then there was a $3.00 discount for buying four :0D There were three bottles left on the shelf when I left there at 5:45pm.

21. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

You're right!
    7 - 4 = 3 ;)

22. slaintemhor

slaintemhor Aficionado (225) Oregon Feb 11, 2009

I'n smart! I can count to potato! So what I meant was that no one else snapped up the remaining three bottles while I was still in the store.

23. kaniatron

kaniatron Disciple (55) Minnesota Nov 26, 2010

I received a bottle of the dissident as a gift. I was wondering if I should let it sit around for awhile before drinking or is it ok to open it up and drink it? Seems as if there is a lot of hype here about this beer.

24. Personally I like it fresh, not aged. It is very cherry pie/jammy fresh and looses the cherry flavor fast. I would say try it out now so you know what it tastes like and if you enjoyed it, you have time to get more!

25. kaniatron

kaniatron Disciple (55) Minnesota Nov 26, 2010

Sounds like I will have to crack it open this evening. Thanks for the heads up!

26. BCross

BCross Savant (275) Washington Nov 20, 2011

Norms in Lake Stevens had a few bottles last night when I was there.

27. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

What's the shelf price in your areas?

I'm seeing $14.99 this year. Worried Abyss is gonna see the same treatment.

28. csano

$15 appears to be standard pricing. I've heard of it ranging from $12-19, though. Abyss tends to be in the same range.

29. I saw it everywhere in Spokane this week. 13.99-15.

30. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Did this ever really hit the shelves in Portland??

31. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

How were you in Spokane this week and didn't tell me or leedorham?! We need to know these things so we can plan to accommodate! o_O

32. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I ordered mine online at letspour.

33. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

PCC Greenlake just got some in :)

34. Next time.

35. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Barely. Judging by the comments about "10 case stacks" in Tacoma and "Seeing it everywhere in Spokane", it sounds like they sent the bulk of it to Washington.

dabudah likes this.
  36. It's true. It's all over the South Sound.

37. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Two, possibly three, places in Salem have it if any of you PDXers feel like making the 45 minute drive.

38. derkruk

derkruk Aficionado (130) Washington Oct 22, 2004

What places Salem? I'm down there a few times a year, unfortunately, so I'm genuinely curious where in Salem one might buy a beer like that besides Capital Market.

39. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

LifeSource Natural Foods has it too. $15.99 IIRC. I think it's going for $16-17 at Capital Market. Venti's Taphouse (across the street from LifeSource) also had carry-out bottles for $17, but they could be gone by now. I think they only got one case.

Be glad you only have to come here a few times a year. I have to fucking live here! (but in all seriousness, the beer scene is progressing quite nicely down here).

40. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Are there ever any Spokane BA "meets"? I only know two craft beer lovers, one is the manager at my grocery store and the other owns an alehouse!