1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident 2012

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by HuskyinPDX, Aug 29, 2012.

1. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

How the fuck does that make sense?

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

We have almost twice as many people.

libbey likes this.
  3. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I like craft beer.

4. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Fair to a degree, but it doesn't explain cases upon cases in every grocery store compared to barely even laying eyes on it here. I'm just being whiney.. I could have walked into the brewery and picked up some bottles.

5. draheim

I think "cases upon cases in every grocery store" is either an exaggeration or misinformation, so don't feel too bad. I think Dissident came and went very quickly in the Seattle area too.

6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Welcome to SoCal's issue with FW releases. Our stores get 2-3 cases of special releases, yet we hear of stores on the east coast getting a dozen. At first I was thinking this had to be a FW issue. But the more I am learning about it (have friends in the industry) it sounds like a distributor issue, they are just too dense to order more and distribute it. They are too busy pushing large quantities of macro beer to care.

7. draheim

Yeah, I do (sincerely) feel bad for SoCal not getting an adequate allotment of beers like Parabola. In fact last year I traded somewhere between 6 and 12 bottles back down to San Diego. We in Seattle end up on the winning end of this equation (Whole Foods still has this in stock, as of yesterday), but it isn't good for the brewery's image locally.

bifrost17 likes this.
  8. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Washington does seem to have it nice. My local beer store which has been selling craft beer before the recent big boom got about 3 cases and sold out within a week or two

9. am i the only one that has yet to see this in sw washington? i havent even seen an open space on the shelves. of course alaskans baltic porter just showed up too, so maybe december we'll see some dissident around

10. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

I agree with draheim. Unless you've found this at a grocery store, I'd say it's actually much harder to score than people are alluding to. I have ran into at four spots, but each of them had it behind the counter.

11. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

I see it everywhere in Tacoma. T-boys. Pint Defiance, Met Market, Safeway in Proctor, MSM, bevmo, etc

12. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (190) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Note to self: today marks the first day I briefly thought that Tacoma might be better than Seattle ;)

13. reviticus

reviticus Aficionado (110) Sep 26, 2012

dissident available call ur local bottle shop

14. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I thought that was weird too. I'm from AZ and we get Parabola, Sucaba, DDBA and the like for $13.99 a bottle (there is still Sucaba and DDBA on the shelf, Parabola finally disappeared like a month ago) but I was in Riverside and went to a bottle shop there and they had Parabola for $22.99. And it was gone like 2 days later when I went back. Confused me a bit.

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've had fresh 08, 10, and now the 12. I think it has more tartness out of the gate than the others.

16. I know they sell it in their pubs, but I have never understood the lack of availability in Oregon (compared to WA and CA).

maltmaster420 and jgrgas like this.
  17. They had several bottles at the South Burlingame Fred Meyer yesterday, I assume all other local FM also got some.

18. I do sometimes too. Its definately kind of a novelty/fad though.

Also, in case anyone is wondering; I drank this 2012's and 2010's Dissident side by side this weekend, and I prefer it fresh. Much more tart and fruity. I remember 2010's being that way as well when it was fresh.

gueuzehead likes this.
  19. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

ISO...Help!;)

20. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Savant (425) Washington Aug 14, 2007

Top Foods on the West Side of Olympia has about a case of Parabola still on the shelf.

As far as Dissident I've only seen it at one place in Oly. Usually I find it at three or more. I'm not too happy about the price hike either $15 for what used to be $12? (yes I know Abyss used to be $6).

21. draheim

If anyone in Seattle area is still looking for Dissident, apparently Whole Foods Westlake just got some in. As well as Midnight Sun TREAT, Pliny, Elysian Great Pumpkin, Double Bastard, HUB Abominable, Velvet Merlin...

thx twitter

22. I agree about the price. Their special series used to be $9.99, then $11.50 and now $15! Luckily Total Wine still had them for $11.50, but everyone else seems to be $14.99. At that price point I am out. There are plenty of other good beers out there I can pay less for.

23. draheim

I don't really blame Deschutes for raising the price. They watch beers like Parabola and ┬žucaba fly off the shelves and say, why are we denying ourselves $36 a case? Especially if they fold that money into expanded production and distribution, they're just being competitive.

DonDirkA likes this.
  24. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

And going downhill in terms of quality at the same time.

25. draheim

What Deschutes beer(s) have gone downhill?

26. Hop Trip and Red Chair have been off the last year or so. They don't taste right.

27. draheim

I bought a Hop Trip 6-pack a week or two ago and the first one seemed a little muted, then I realized I'd had Cowiche Canyon and The Brother on tap @ the Fremont UBG earlier the same day. The other five were very tropical and orangey though, I enjoyed them quite a lot. I've only had last year's Red Chair, bought a 12-pack and thought it was pretty solid. So I guess I'm not complaining, but OK.

28. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (400) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

I've seen Dissident at 2 places in Anchorage: $13 and $15. Drank one; not sure if I have the will power to save the other two until August

29. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I work at Whole Foods and most of the stores up here got 2 to 3 cases, while most Oregon stores got only 1 case. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this was a ploy to get you Oregon BAs to go to the pub in Portland or the Brewery in Bend to get your bottles.....what do you think?

30. bifrost17

Parabola still in stock? Which Whole Foods location?

31. draheim

Westlake

32. bifrost17

Well.....looks like I'll be making an unexpected stop then.

33. draheim

You might call ahead just to be sure. But it's been sitting on shelves there since around May.

34. Central Market had for 16.99.

35. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

Hey guys just wanted to give any of you BA's who live north of Seattle (like I do) a heads up that the Albertson's on Highway 9 north of 180th got a couple cases of Dissident in today and also some Lukcy/Double Bastard. I paid $13.99 for the Dissident FYI.

Cheers!

36. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (400) Washington Oct 17, 2010

Seen more Dissident at a couple of places today...get it while ya can...

37. Glucky

Glucky Initiate (20) Nov 11, 2012

Just picked up two bottles at Total Wine in Tukwila for $11.99 each.

38. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Snagged what seemed to be the last bottle at Whole Foods @ Laurelhurst on Friday. I thought I missed this beer and was comfortable with doing so until I actually saw it looking so lonely without all its' friends. I am very much looking forward to a '10 and '12 vertical in the next few months and see where it has gone.

39. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (320) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Metropolitan Market in West Seattle has been stocked for a while now. Just left there an hour ago and there were probably 8 to 10 bottles in the cooler. Been there pretty much for the last week.

40. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Still all over Tacoma.