1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident and Abyss Update

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gtermi, Sep 28, 2012.

1. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

Try living in Oregon. In Novermber we have:

The Abyss
    Mother of all Storms
    Cherry Adam
    Michael
    Doggie Claws

And there will likely be more. Lots of money poor Oregonians in that month, but BEER rich :D
  2. elkinbrown

elkinbrown Savant (350) Ohio Jul 30, 2011

Will be available at the brewpub in Portland and Bend on 11/15. Source: deschutes tweet. I am ISO....
  3. Just picked up a bottle of Dissident in Phoenix
  4. Prudence

Prudence Aspirant (45) Washington Jan 6, 2011

The Dissident is in Seattle now, but I wouldn't go to Bottleworks for it.
  5. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Where specifically?
  6. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

You people who get Deschutes are so lucky :(
    dsal89, gpawned, Zaphog and 4 others like this.
  7. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

And all of us in Chicago and the rest of Illinois are joining those that are lucky starting in January. I can't wait!
  8. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Anyone know if this comes to Denver, I'll be there in a few weeks for work, trying to figure out if I need to put some miles on the rental car
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I got The Dissident in Ft Collins in the past so I'd guess yes.
  10. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Don't bother, its not coming to Denver this year. :(
  11. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (605) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

Well, if the bottle I had last night is representative of this batch, you aren't missing much
    writerLJBerg likes this.
  12. Not coming to Denver???? Either one of them?

Balls...I really wanted to try Abyss this year.
  13. He's yankin' your chain. Both will show up. Dissident will fly off shelves, abyss will be much easier to get.
  14. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Go figure... :-/
  15. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for the info, will make some dials before I get there, hopefully it's out by then
  16. I was told distribution is especially tight, even to larger markets like DFW. Sadly I do not expect to see any hit the shelves here and if it does it will surely disappear in a hurry.
  17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Is this including The Abyss too?
  18. Yeah, I was told by a very reputable source a couple months ago that Dissident and Abyss may not make it to DFW at all but if it did it was most likely to show up in very small quantities to the largest accounts in the area, so Specs for sure but maybe also CM, Whole Foods and Total Wine. Such small quantities, I was told, that each Specs location may only get one or two bottles but not to be surprised if no bottles appear.
  19. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I sure hope the person you get the info from is wrong.. That is the one beer out of the year that I HAVE to get and if I dont, I am really going to be let down.
  20. Total Wine in Chandler
  21. I'd never heard or seen Abyss until last year... had it on tap for the first time early March, and it was easily the best Double (or Imperial) Stout I've had to date. Eagerly awaiting this year's release. I've yet to try Dissident, and from what I've just read, it sounds like a fairly obscure style. Deschutes has gotta be a top 5 brewery for me though; in fact I don't think I've had a beer from them yet that I've not liked.
  22. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I just picked up a couple bottles at Total Wine on Oracle in Tucson, AZ. I'd assume Total Wine at the Park Place Mall has it too. You can buy it online so its reserved for pick up.
  23. Yep. Hit Tucson last week, and we tend to get things later than Phoenix.
  24. genitempo

genitempo Aficionado (220) Texas Jun 19, 2011

Anyone know if TX will get any dissident this year? We had some abyss is 2010/11, never seen a dissident though.
  25. I've seen Dissident at my local shop for the last month. If anyone wants one ISO big stouts!!
  26. DonDirkA

27. frogfan

frogfan Savant (350) Texas Sep 4, 2009

I hit Deschutes up on twitter and they said Texas was getting the Dissident, but when/where/how much was up in the air. I had my brother grab me a bottle in KC last week just in case I can't find one down here.
  28. DonDirkA

29. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

30. why stop at 2012?
  31. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Glad I only got two bottles then. Still, if nothing else, they should make good trade bait.
  32. DonDirkA

The bottle I had last night was excellent...

Thats crazy. $18.50 plus shipping (unless you buy 6 bottles of stuff total). Its $11.99 in Total Wine
  33. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Awww, why'd you have to post this deal? I missed out on it buy like 10 min... I'd buy dissident at $20 a pop all day.
  34. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

Total Wine is a 2 hour drive from me, so I'll be paying the $14.99 ($16.30 w/tax) when it eventually shows up in my part of the Bay Area (Hopefully today or tomorrow). And if it wasn't showing up I would of ordered Dissident + 5 bottles with Free Shipping + $10 off coupon making my bottle of Dissident $16.84. Just saying.
  35. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

36. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (460) California Aug 24, 2012

Brewforia has actually had this one for a while now. I was kinda surprised to see this one show up on Let's Pour yesterday. I had a buddy ship me two bottles from the brewery release a little while back, and I was very pleased with this bottling. I heard "Southern California" (translated = Los Angeles) only got 20 cases in total, but I do expect to see this one around town soon.
  37. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (460) California Aug 24, 2012

Oh, I won't! :D
  38. Philousa

Philousa Savant (330) California Oct 17, 2007

Has anyone in the Bay Area seen The Dissident? I'm not too worried about finding Abyss, since Whole Foods typically has them into February. I missed out on Dissident last time and I'm determined not to make that mistake again!
  39. According to deschutes website, its been delivered to some places in the city. Haven't seen it outside SF yet though. I'm waiting for it to hit the east bay
    Philousa likes this.
  40. DonDirkA

Yeah it sucks to miss is since its a 2-year release schedule.