1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident and Abyss Update

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gtermi, Sep 28, 2012.

1. birchholz

birchholz Savant (280) Illinois Jul 21, 2010

2. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (345) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

3. birchholz

birchholz Savant (280) Illinois Jul 21, 2010

4. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

We still have some (don't know how much) at Total Wine here in Tucson. $11.99. I bought one (more) last night.

5. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Damn, can't believe I missed LetsPour again! I would buy a case at $11.99... I wish total wine shipped :(

6. DonDirkA

Limit one otherwise I would've gotten more. I ordered my first 2 online then when I went to pick up they told me it was limit 1 and I could only take one, so I got pissed off since they'd already charged my card so she gave me both :)

brewbetter likes this.
  7. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

there's always trading;)

8. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

ISO: Abyss

9. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Anybody else get fuck on Dissident this year? I am a very regular customer at my local beer shop, we usually get pretty good allocation, and I usually get first dibs on whatever, but this year I was only allowed one Dissident due to the huge demand. Now I am forced to drink it fresh, because I have never had it before, and refuse to age beers that I haven't tried fresh. I love these beer websites and hate them. Before sites like this little gem existed, BCBS used to set on the shelves for months; ahhh the good old days.

10. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

Will Abyss be the same limited stock as Dissident or does it flow like XXIV?

11. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Atleast you got some. I have yet to see it here in TX

12. Philousa

Philousa Savant (330) California Oct 17, 2007

I believe it should be on par with Black Butte in terms of availability, but it's more popular than either so we may not see it on the shelves as long. I recall seeing it on the shelves at Whole Foods in February of 11 in Cupertino, for what it's worth.

13. It flies off the shelves pretty quickly. It did hang around a little while in some San Diego stores in 2010/11 from what I recall, but it was gone in 60 seconds last year.

14. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

Thanks Philusa and besaunders! I just wasn't sure if I was going to be on the hunt for it like I'm having to do for Dissident. Cheers!

15. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Going to the only place in the area with rare bottles tonight. If no Dissident there (and there won't be) then I won't be getting any it seems.

16. I got one via the Jug Shop Deschutes tasting that's happening tonight. Looks like they're sold out now though.

17. Are they going to be sending everything south as well to the Peoria-area?

18. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Dude in the last 30-days, Colorado had 3F Oude Gueze, 3F Golden Blend, The Dissident, Utopias, Oude Tart, Renegade Elevated Wood, Avery Rumpkin & Odio Equum, GABF and all the events surrounding it. October is not only when I go broke, it's where I go into debt.... (not really, but seriously messes with my budget)

November brings The Abyss & FW16, as well as Bligh's BW, BA Hibernation, and Bruery 5 Golden Rings, this never ends! lol.

sir-knifes-alot likes this.
  19. Some of those plus the Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve are what's ravaging my next credit card bill.

20. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Yes, they are starting to distribute to the entire state of Illinois.

beerepiphany likes this.
  21. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

??
    Just added 2 to my cart shipping to Texas and it says shipping is $38 ??? Wtf, I can overnight a package across country for $38

22. Preluderl

I hit up my local bottle shop tonight and came up empty in the Dissident, unfortunately. May have to bite the bullet and pay some exorbitant shipping if I really want it.

23. The website LetsPour had a couple of limited shipments of Dissident this past week. I believe it was $18.50/bottle. They do limited, short-notice offers so its worth watching.

24. Preluderl

I know, I'm bummed I missed it but I'll be keeping an eye out.

25. DonDirkA

I can't get most of these but The Dissident, Oude Tart, The Abyss, FW XVI and 5 Golden Rings will do a big enough number on my bank account that I'll have to keep it secret from my girlfriend (who is usually very supportive of my beer buying)

26. and now Melange 3

27. Well I failed at grabbing a few bottles for 11.99 from Totalwine when I saw it available online but figured I could wait a few days and grab in person (stupid I know). Davis Beer Shoppe in CA had a few but fairly expensive. Whole foods in Roseville had 4 or 5 bottles still at 15.99 and I bit the bullet on it sadly. Only got 1 Dissident as I am a bigger fan of Abyss and rather save my money for that. Luckily Abyss does get distributed further out (and I would say better availability than BBXXIV just more demand) so I bet I can get my half case out of the Galveston area without having to deal with CA purchases.

28. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

a lot of stores were limited to a case so be happy with what you got. I appreciate a store that has bottle limits because more people get a chance to purchase but at the same time I love places that don't have limits so I can walk out with as much as I want.

29. jpfromb

jpfromb Aficionado (110) Oregon Apr 9, 2010

Not very much right here in Bend, Oregon. I was told by more than one local retailer that there was a bottling issue, short fills. Not sure if this has already been discussed or if it is true. Seems plausible. Past releases have sat on the local shelves for months after release.

30. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Picked up my Dissident here in LA for 13.99 can't wait for the Abyss to show up around me.

31. Philousa

I can confirm that there was very little supply. K&L in Redwood City said that the whole Bay Area was limited to 40 cases. I would assume you can extrapolate that to other regions as well.

32. jarrgal

jarrgal Savant (460) North Dakota Mar 12, 2012

Picked up six bottles of The Dissident. There were two cases allocated to the store, which they received on Wednesday. They never have a bottle limit, but beers such as The Dissident typically sit on the shelf for awhile because of the higher price point ($15.99/bottle).

33. '

It will be like Dissident. Was really funny watching people get excited when XXIV was on the shelves and thinking you can trade it for non shelf beers.

34. azureoval

azureoval Savant (425) California Jan 25, 2010

Abyss will be nothing like Dissident. The stores around me get floor stacks of Abyss. Granted every year it seems to sell faster, it is made in much greater volume than Dissident. Two years ago I was buying it well into summer time. Last year it moved quite a bit quicker but still lasted about a month if you looked around.

Philousa likes this.
  35. Agreed, I bought some 2011 Abyss in August of this year.

36. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Don't forget Mother of all Storms!

37. Philousa

I resorted to ordering two online. Hated the shipping fee, but I don't think I'll get it any other way atm. I just have to have it!

38. sholle

sholle Aficionado (175) Montana Jan 2, 2011

aww, aren't you just the best roommate ever

libbey likes this.
  39. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

Not MI, Indy, or Chicago, Maybe WI

40. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I doubt it.