1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident and Abyss Update

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by gtermi, Sep 28, 2012.

1. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I was just asking because they got Dissident. Wishful thinking lol

2. Philousa

Philousa Savant (330) California Oct 17, 2007

Dee at Bobby's Liquor had something interesting to say on Instagram about The Dissident: http://instagr.am/p/ReA0uSNZwS/

I really hope Deschutes gets their shit together in the south bay for The Abyss release.

3. I wish their distribution was wider.

4. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Anyone know when Abyss will hit the STL area?

trxxpaxxs likes this.
  5. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

waiting for this beer to get to Sacramento is driving me insane.

6. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Anyone knw any online shops that sell Abyss and ship?

7. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Check out Marina Market

8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Theoretically I got 2 bottles of Abyss from Brewforia. I'll believe it when it gets here.

9. JeremiahJohnson

JeremiahJohnson Initiate (20) Nov 19, 2012

Fo real, ISO 2012 Abyss. I got a 2011 from a friend, and was not into it. But, I heard this wasn't the year to have. The variants of barrels just didn't mix IMO. I want the regular.

10. NitroGen

NitroGen Savant (295) Arizona Sep 29, 2007

Spoke to the Deschutes Rep at the Hungry Monk last week and while I understood that the Dissident is stored in a separate part of the brewery to avoid cross-contamination it is also bottled on a separate bottling line. Apparently there were multiple issues this year and the end result was a lot fewer bottles of the Dissident than anticipated.
    Sounds plausible....??

11. Scored a bottle of Dissident at France 44 just last Saturday on a fluke... Went in to see if there was a chance they had the Abyss yet and of course not, but Jake (IIRC) hooked me up with the stray bottle he had found in the back. Sorry to whichever stock guy was hiding it. Find a better spot next time.

May have been the last bottle for sale in the Twin Cities....if only i had used that luck on a lottery ticket.

Philousa likes this.
  12. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Advocate (570) Florida Feb 6, 2007

They are out, any other online places?

13. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (470) California Aug 24, 2012

I know, I got the last of them! ;)

14. LOL that was me who asked him about the dissident on instagram, never thought I would see it referenced here. You might wanna call but I think he's been given the ok to sell it. At least from this instagram post of dee's he has
    http://instagram.com/p/SHtqUVNZwR/

Philousa likes this.
  15. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (290) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Really?!? I almost stopped by there on Friday! You win sir!

16. sandbergandy

sandbergandy Zealot (85) Minnesota Nov 21, 2012

I found 10 bottles of Abyss on a shelf in a TC store on Wednesday, and sheepishly grabbed them all and headed up to the register, fully expecting to be slapped on the wrist and told "limit-1". Nope. Skol

17. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Anyone know what this is selling for around CO or other states? My local shop just got it in, but they always seem to be a little high.

How's it drinkin so far?

18. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Got a bottle of Abyss for $17.50 from LetsPour.com They had it on Saturday but it was sold out in a couple of hours.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  19. I just picked up a bottle from Mr. B's today for $14.99. They are the first shop here in Denver I've seen it at

20. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

$15 in CO, beer guy at my local shop said they got 3 cases and were told that was it for the year. He said they got 18-20 cases last year (in mult. shipments). Limit was 2 bottles.

21. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Just got my shippment from same source w. zero roblems...

22. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

My friend in Vegas already has The Abyss.

23. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I was told Texas SHOULD be getting it in the next few weeks, but I seriously doubt anything I ever hear. There is still no trace of Dissident here, but I should probably just let my hopes go for that one

24. From the release numbers I am hearing outside of WA and OR I really don't know where the 600 barrels have gone. I know they are distributing to AK and one other state new but that does not explain the lack of cases being shipped. The last few years I have easily picked up a case in CA and last year I was able to easily pick up a few bottles in TX but now I have barely grabbed 1 bottle in CA and am really hoping for anything in TX. This makes no sense I am really wondering where the f all the bottles have gone. Can people in WA honestly comment on the case loads they have seen this year as everyplace outside seems to be really lacking in deliveries comparatively.

25. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I have a friend in Oregon and she's not seen it on shelves once anywhere. Dissident or Abyss, actually.

26. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I just got one bottle of The Abyss from Total Wine here in AZ. It came in while I was on vacation in California so I almost missed it. I wish I could find one or two more, but this was the last bottle at that TW location.

27. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Haha I went in and got one from them yesterday too. I think it was 13.99? but no matter, I guess that's probably about standard for this one. There was only 3 bottles left when I got mine, I bet they're all gone now.

28. It might have been $13.99, I just know it was $15 and change when I paid for it. Yah they are gone..according to their facebook page they sold out with in hours

29. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Wonder if they're allocating some for IL? We're getting Deschutes beginning early next year, and we will surely drink up the rest of the country's Abyss milkshake.

30. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Where does she live in Oregon? Both are out now (the Dissident for some time now), and while the Abyss seems to be flying off the shelves pretty quickly, it should be available in larger markets (the Portland area and Eugene... I'm not sure about Bend, Medford, etc.). The Dissident in particular should be pretty easy to find I would think. I was in Portland last week and saw it around at several places.

31. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I think the $13.99 price is fairly standard in the NW. That's what I paid for it in Tacoma. After the bottle deposit cost and tax, the price came to just over $15 a bottle.

I was also able to stop by the brewpub in Portland the Sunday before Thanksgiving. While the Abyss was on tap, they confirmed that they blew through their entire 180 case allocation the first day it was released. It hadn't been released to the retail market yet, unfortunately, so I ended up having to buy it in Tacoma. No big deal, but it's always nice not having to pay sales tax when I can buy it in Oregon.

32. MCorrea

MCorrea Aficionado (140) California Aug 23, 2010

Has Abyss been sighted anywhere in San Diego yet? I haven't seen it anywhere.

33. No, and I'm on the mail list of a few of the places that tend to get it first (from honest distributors, that is).

34. Philousa

Philousa Savant (330) California Oct 17, 2007

I just scored a bottle at Kelly's Liquor in San Jose. $12.99 and a one bottle limit. Bobby's Dee said he should get it in a week or two. Also, Cask 'n Flask just got another shipment of Enjoy By, fwiw. Hope this helps other South Bayers!

35. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

Abyss here and gone within a day. (St. Louis area)

36. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

Big props to Deschutes for keeping prices consistent from last year even though the releases were miniscule in comparison. Don't see that too often - kudos!

Philousa likes this.
  37. Cibola

Cibola Aspirant (35) Washington Nov 30, 2012

Anyone know of a place in WA that still has it without 1 bottle limits?

38. It's landed in Orange County, Ca. Seen it in a couple of places from North to South County. Everywhere has had a 1 bottle limit.

39. Prudence

Prudence Aspirant (45) Washington Jan 6, 2011

Call Top Foods around your area. A friend of mine just got 7 bottles from the one in Olympia. Metropolitan Market on Queen Anne in Seattle has a 2 bottle per day limit, but they are out.

40. Love Deschutes for the simple fact they're pretty much the only US Brewery who regularly send up all their limited release stuff to Canada/Vancouver. Can't wait for the 2012 Abyss to clear customs, got a 2010 and 11 waiting for a 3yr tasting. Picked up Dissident a couple days ago, $16 a bottle and it's everywhere here. Abyss was $30+ last yr though....yet they have it on tap for $7 at one pub? (wtf) really hoping since Dissident was only $16 this yr that Abyss won't be so high.