1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dissident in TX?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by DanzBorin, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lindsey624

lindsey624 Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 14, 2009

It shouldn't affect Abyss because the release is much bigger.

So Deschutes wants to skip Houston, one of their bigger markets, in favor of
    FW and corpus? Deschutes was upset with the distro and skipped Houston on this release

2. cfrobrew

cfrobrew Advocate (550) Texas Oct 9, 2012

Theyre releasing in DFW and Austin, when I talked to the rep she was pretty apologetic about it and certainly didnt convery they wanted to skip Houston, but you can take it personally if you want... Im calling up people I know in Austin to get some and looking for some stuff to trade. Thats a lot easier than trying to find it out of state so I count it better. Next year I would imagine theylll get more allotted to texas.

The corpus thing is probably someone that did a road trip from a store since they have it before anyone else. If I had to guess they got it from somewhere out of state a while ago and held onto it until it was label approved or when to the distributor directly.

3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

It's at Central Market in SA

4. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

It was at Central Market Fort Worth, but I grabbed the last few bottles.. BUT I talked to somebody at Total Wine Fort Worth and they said it should be coming in this afternoon of tomorrow morning

5. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

Where is Total wine, I will be visiting FW this weekend and central market is my usual go-to. I would love to grab a bottle if I can. Thanks!

6. gtermi

It's on South Hulen Street, right off of 20

7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Damn it man! ;)

I was heading there at 5. No reason now. It didn't look like Kings got it...maybe Specs

8. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Has anybody seen this in Austin yet?

9. Haven't seen it at the usual places yet. Checked Live Oak at lunch and it wasn't there.

10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

No word yet

11. reifsnid

I was at CM Lamar on Wednesday and didn't see it there either. Hopefully it'll show up soon.

12. They didn't have it at Specs brodie or CM westgate last night. Specs Brodie did have some Rumpkin though

13. reifsnid

Glad to hear Rumpkin is still around; I thought I missed it completely. I'll be making a trip to a couple of places today to hopefully pick up a bottle. I've heard it's pretty good.

14. gtermi

Specs told me they didn't get any and I know kings didn't. I would call Total Wine because they told me they were for sure getting it

15. H0rnedFr0gs

Insanely long drive, but I'll try. What was CM's price?

16. gtermi

It was $13.99 a bottle

17. jmdarcy

jmdarcy Aficionado (125) Texas Jul 15, 2010

Total wine FW has it on the shelf

18. Sethzilla

Sethzilla Aficionado (240) Texas Oct 10, 2012

per gtermi's recommendation, just wanted to let yall know that Dissident showed up in Denton TX around 3pm today.

19. H0rnedFr0gs

Total in Fort Worth does have this. No limit soldier. $12

Besides the headache getting there I like Total so far

20. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I'm jealous of you Dissident getting types. lol

21. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (245) Texas Apr 12, 2012

I really wish Deschutes was distributed by Ben E Keith in Austin. It would probably be on the shelves by now.

22. dronedream

dronedream Aficionado (135) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Yep, the Specs guy comfimred that the Corpus Dissedent was meant for San Antonio. I guess I really lucked out.

23. dfree23

dfree23 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 1, 2010

I bought 2 at Central Market Plano. When I left there were 4 left.
    They said they got one of fifteen cases in the state.

24. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (665) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Soooo frusturating...unless they got it in the last 4 hours the douche I talked to said they weren't getting it when in actuality it was probably sitting in the back. Without naming names (Specs, Central Market, Whole Foods) so many employees are either uniformed or straight up lying.

I've had more then one incident where the beer was there (all of the places mentioned above) and they told me it wasn't or had no idea what I was talking about.

This is precisely why I avoid all of those stores unless absolutely necessary. F 'em, AND NO I'M NOT PISSED OFF!

25. gtermi

My father in law went to Total Wine in Fort Worth yesterday and one of their employees was holding bottles for Himself. He was also a total dick to me on the phone asking if there are any in and he told me I had to come up there and see. Don't really care to go back there again.

26. cfh64

What a f'in cocksucker. If he told me that I would be tempted to go up there and "see" just to go postal on his ass. I know there are a few guys on here that work for some of the bigger stores and they are in the small minority of employees that are helpful and know their shit.

The smaller "mom and pop" stores seem to want and appreciate your business more than the big box store therefore most are more knowledgeable and go out of their way to help you. Unfortunately, those stores are getting cut out of the loop of the more limited releases because the distributors give them to the big box stores since they sell more beer overall (in most cases).

I'd rather spend a few extra bucks at a smaller more personal store than give my money to the ignorant, rude and uninformative stores. Not that they care what one person thinks and my business doesn't matter to them but if I were to ever shop there again on a regular basis (I'll go there if I "have" to) they can start training their employees in customer service and general beer knowledge.

They're like Wal-Mart. They undercut everyone elses prices because they do so much business, they run the the smaller shops out of town and they don't give a shit about pleasing the customer because its such a large store they don't care about a few people being unsatisfied. I hate to say this, but there might be a day coming soon when there isn't an S&K or Kegs and Barrels. Ie see Mr G's

End rant...for now.

27. gtermi

Nice rant.. I feel the same way. The guy also asked me on the phone "what's the big deal about this beer anyways ?" I mean come on, you are the beer department head and u don't even know what you're selling. I don't get it

cfh64 likes this.
  28. DanzBorin

Mr G's is gone?! I liked that place. Good beer and better sammiches! :tear:

29. cfh64

It's still there but its owned by Specs and they still have your sammi's :)

30. DanzBorin

So, prices are lower but the people don't care as much? lol

mattisloco likes this.
  31. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

S&K had them for about 30 to 45 minutes yesterday.

32. cfh64

I'm not sure if the prices are lower at Mr G's. Does your reference to the "people" not caring as much mean the employees? If so, I never said they had to care. I just want them to know what the hell their talking about and not be rude. Alot of people don't "care" about their jobs but know what they're doing.

Also, yeah, I'd rather pay extra to have good customer service and knowledgeable staff. Seriously, when I call a store that is known for selling alcohol and talk to someone who works in the beer department I'd expect them to know whether or not they have a certain beer available. I almost consider it a positive when they even know what beer I'm talking about let alone whether or not they have it.

Maybe it just me, my standards must be too high asking someone to be knowledgeable in their profession and perhaps have decent customer service when they're in a customer service oriented job.

Clonies720 likes this.
  33. DanzBorin

No, just friendly and know what they are doing. I've had many a Specs employee not care that I existed and showed it.

34. cfh64

Agreed, see 2nd rant, lol.

35. DanzBorin

That's why I love D&Q. It's similar to the mom and pop shops you listed.

36. cfh64

I've never been but have read/heard alot of great things about them. Let's hope they continue to succeed and don't get put under or bought out by the giants.

My call is Total will become the ultimate victor, just give it another 10 years or so. There won't be many if any other options, it will be a monopoly. Specs will last awhile but forget the rest.

37. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

If it makes you feel any better, all the Dissident at CM Plano was gone by the time I got there on Saturday

38. cfh64

Pretty funny, when I was there on Fri the guy either didn't actually know or "acted" like he didn't know and said something along the lines of "I've never heard of it, we're not getting any".

39. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

That's the I'm not telling ya that it is here and I have a buddy coming to pick up the case response. As he slowly slides the case behind the shelf while answering your question.

cfh64 likes this.
  40. cfh64

Yeah, he kinda gave me the quick "uh..no, never heard of it, we're not getting any" response. It's like he knew exactly what I was talking about. If he didn't, like most smaller places, you'd think he may say something like "oh, I've never heard of that, let me write that down and see if my distributor knows anything about this".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.