1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Dissident in TX?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by DanzBorin, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

I dunno, I remember years ago when we got jack shit. I'm still happy we get any of this shit, stop feeling so entitled.

soultrain19 likes this.
  2. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (370) Texas May 17, 2012

BA Buried Hatchet is coming back and it'll be bottled or canned. Someone told me 4th Thursday in December.

3. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (485) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I don't remember years ago because I'm still relatively new. But Danz has an excellent point about brewery market focus. With the way things are set up law wise, I don't understand why anyone would even bother jumping through the hoops to only send a fraction of what the market can bear. And I believe he is also correct in saying that consumer backlash is a real threat in a saturated market and a smart brewery will adapt.

4. BeanBone

There's only so much product brewed, they try to spread it around as much as possible. Think of it as the brewery trying to give you a shot at getting something special rather than them screwing you out of what is rightfully yours.

That's my perspective, maybe I'm wrong.

Chuk_Hell and kevinscott like this.
  5. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (380) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Wah wah wah.

BeanBone likes this.
  6. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

In a consumer marketplace, you either shit or get off the pot.

Money talks unfortunately.

As I commented, I'm pretty sure that this will be the most Abyss ever made. Instead of increasing quantity to the market, they've actually thinned it out by adding more markets.

I think they should do like most breweries and not distribute special releases to new markets immediately if it means they have to shrink distribution to places that have supported them for years.

7. DanzBorin

I love these kinds of posts. :rolleyes:

8. miikezombie

I am more fond of posts where people complain because they deserve x beer more than another person/neighborhood/city/state.

9. DanzBorin

In a case of a state that has been supporting a brewery for years pulling product to ship it to a new state, it makes perfect sense.

Entitlement is what makes our system work. If not, we could all live in mud huts and wear loincloths.

And sorry, but when your hobby is craft beer, damn straight these kind of things will piss you off.

Clonies720 likes this.
  10. miikezombie

I've had The Abyss before, so I have no reason to get my panties in a twist if I miss out. I will end this by being an advocate and say other people should be afforded the opportunity to buy it as well.

11. BeanBone

How many Deschutes products do you buy every year? It must be a lot if you're owed Abyss.

12. DanzBorin

I buy my share. Not pallets, but probably more than I should. Specs (actually doing it now) will run them on special and I try to check out one new to me or that I hadn't had in a while. I buy almost every 22oz they release as well.

When I buy releases like the Abyss it's to share it with friends. Same as I would do with most anything limited.

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (485) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Whereas you are seeing Danz's opinon as a selfish, personal mentality, I think he is rather expressing an opinion about Texas in general while using his experience as a footnote. It's perhaps a small change in perspective but worth noting from my perspective.

I tend to support businesses in general, and brewers specifically, that stand up for its customers. Karbach has said we are not leaving Houston until we can support that market, no doubt a model based on Saint Arnold, et al. Jester King has stated similar feelings about Texas as a whole. But if what Danz has said is true, that 2012 Abyss is the highest bottle count so far AND Texas will get significantly less than in past years in order to support emerging markets then they are making a choice to spend their money on attracting new customers over satisfiying existing customers. The calculus of change is tricky. Minor alterations to a formula can have drastic unintended consequences (both good and bad).

Everything above could also be total bullshit...sometimes i don't even know. All I know is i want a beer guys...now.

Either way, if you view BA as one giant focus group aren't we all right, even if we disagree?

14. DanzBorin

This made me LOL.

My assumptions are just that, but the trend for craft beer lately and other breweries would indicate that they indeed have brewed more than ever before. If qty to TX drops (as has been indicated), it's obviously going somewhere.

Abyss is a large yearly release, not a small one like BA Hanapuh or BA Dark Lord. Probably even puts BCBC(offee)S numbers to shame. Seems weird that product being delivered is shrinking.

And I like Mr. Fr0gs, would just like to buy a tasty beer and enjoy it. :)

15. BeanBone

I mean, I get that. But I'm sure there are people in Bend bitching that hillbillies in Texas are drinking up all that is rightfully theirs, too. Where does it stop? Can't we just be happy Abyss exists and people can enjoy it without getting butthurt that we aren't getting that much this year and acting like our indignation is going to significantly affect the sales figures in the state?

pwsoldier likes this.
  16. DanzBorin

For a huge portion of beer geeks, they won't be getting it at all this year because of it.

They are talking about like 1 case for fewer stores than got more than that last year. Most likely only 1 Specs in Houston will even get ANY. In years past all of them got an allotment.

I do agree that us hillbillies do like to drink up Oregon's beer. lol

17. BeanBone

Sounds like speculation. Do we have hard numbers? Even if it's true, this year we get the shaft, some other people get to try it for the first time.

That's life. Chill out, and have a Rasputin, or a Funk Metal, or a Buried Hatchet, or a Black Chocolate Stout, or a Storm King, or a Ten FIDY, or a Yeti, or a Czar, or a Black Ops, or a... and enjoy the fact that Houston is in a golden age of beer right now.

18. DanzBorin

I get your point...

I also get mine...

I won't be mad at the industry, but I'm still going to hold a grudge against Dechutes. :p lol

Honestly, with any growing market it is the "Golden Age" with every year the better than the last.

Apparently not a Golden Age for Abyss. ;)

This just means I'll actually have to drink beer I already have. THE HORROR!!! :D

BeanBone likes this.
  19. miikezombie

Any proof? I have yet to hear that they have upped production. Last year they produced roughly the same amount of Abyss as they did in 2010.

20. DanzBorin

This was based on my assumptions. Could be completely wrong, but most large breweries like Deschutes are upping production every year, including their barrel aged beers.

Even if production was the same, it seems like we wouldn't see such a drastic drop off in their barrel aged beers (both Dissident and Darkness).

21. miikezombie

Not always the case. But if they produced the same amount as previous years it explains why it will be spread so thin. I would like to see the final bottle count.

As for the Dissident, according to Deschutes every last drop was put into bottles. It has historically been a much smaller release than the Abyss.

22. DanzBorin

This year it sounds like it was just smaller instead of much smaller then.

As much as I comment on the fact that I don't find Abyss great, for what we get on the shelf in TX it is indeed great. It's sad that it's going to be a shelf whale here. :-/

And I admit, this is all #BeerNerdProblems

23. miikezombie

Via BA. No info on 2012

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
    2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
    2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
    2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
    2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
    2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
    2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

24. DanzBorin

If they are going to increase their footprint, you'd think they'd increase their production.

If you have hit the peak of production, don't expand.

If not, you could potentially lose MANY markets.

25. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (475) Texas Feb 13, 2007

It will be roughly 2 to 2 1/2 cases for every store that got The Dissident. That's still not a lot but it's more than who ever "they" are that misinformed you.

26. DanzBorin

Well considering Houston got 0 Dissident, then it sure is a shitload less. 2.5 x 0 = 0

It's still far fewer than in the past.

Abyss had numbers like Black Butte Birthdays in the past. Sounds like it's not going to even be close.

27. mattisloco

Ewww.... Who did Houston piss off?

28. utx05

utx05 Disciple (60) Dec 11, 2012

apparently someone; the hoppy monk in el paso tweeted it got some dissident bottles in.

29. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I sure would like to know. Houston is also getting the shaft from Firestone-Walker and Ballast Point.

30. DanzBorin

Guess Houston isn't hip enough...

31. miikezombie

If it makes everyone feel better you can have all of Corpus' Ballast Point. I have little interest in Big Eye IPA or the pale ale.

jl28r1 likes this.
  32. BeanBone

There's been a million releases we got that Dallas/Austin/San Antonio didn't. It's a bummer, though.

33. DanzBorin

Seems like lately its a national trend. lol

icetrauma likes this.
  34. mattisloco

They have a unique situation out there in El Paso. I wouldn't judge anything that happens beer wise out there against anything else that happens in the rest of Texas.

35. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (280) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Snagged a '12 Dissident from a friend in CO. If anyone wants to do a local IP (DFW), let me know. I'm interested in trying Anake or Raspberry Anake.

36. Welcome 2013 - Welcome dissident (Tuesday around 3pm) @ E1G

37. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

E1G just got this in.

38. BeanBone

I think that's Jarvis Cocker in his av, hehe.

AnAvenue likes this.
  39. mattisloco

I'll be damned it is.

40. Krumb

Krumb Savant (300) Texas Jan 30, 2008

i still laughed...

mattisloco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.