1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Distribution in Louisiana

Discussion in 'US - South' started by ZethOfTheNorth, May 12, 2012.

1. We've had posts here that Green Flash is coming. I've also heard through the grapevine that Lagunitas, New Belgium, and Dogfish Head are next.

Hoptimum is finally here and on tap at the Avenue Pub. Stone's IRS is at Whole Foods.

How about a catch-all thread for coveted new beers hitting New Orleans and LA? Does anybody have any specific information on Lagunitas, Dogfish, and NB? Is there any hope of ever getting Good People cans or Live Oak kegs here?
    joeleaux likes this.
  2. I think I recalled Polly saying that Green Flash will hit in June. Once Lagunitas finishes their expansion, they'll indeed be here too. I haven't heard of NB or DFH coming though. That would definitely be nice, though, I would prefer Good People cans and Live Oak kegs before getting the NB and DFH.
  3. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (365) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

NB and DFH... Mehhhh :rolleyes:

Not like it's my state, but I go there enough as it is. Much rather have Green Flash & Lagunitas any day.
  4. Beerbuddha

Beerbuddha Savant (420) Louisiana Feb 17, 2007

Green Flash is coming for sure. June is supposed to be the date. Lagunitas has been a rumor for a couple of years but I think we may see them either end of this year or next for sure. I spoke with someone from DFH and they told me "a couple of years" so who knows for sure.
  5. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

I want allagash.
    Beerbuddha likes this.
  6. Beerbuddha

Yeah there is NO reason for them not to be here. I wouldn't be surprised if they are also planning on coming this year or next.
  7. nolabrew

nolabrew Aficionado (160) Louisiana Apr 20, 2010

Speaking of distribution; how long has La Chouffe been in LA? I just realized like last week that they were here.
  8. Kwatt99

Kwatt99 Aficionado (155) Louisiana Mar 27, 2010

Allagash is here already
  9. I think she means through legal distribution channels. The Cove (or any other place carrying it to justify your claim) doesn't count.

10. I want to say Chouffe has been around for at least a year.
  11. avenuepub

Loo, yes. I meant legally. Is someones bootleggingAllagash too now? God that's aggravating .

Oh well. Chouffe re entered the market about 14 months ago after a multiple year absence.
  12. Kwatt99

If you want Allagash Calandros on perkins has it,
  13. avenuepub

Calandros? Wow...thats a shocker, youre sure? I can't see calandros bootlegging...that's playing with fire. Wonder if it's falling off a Distributors truck onto another Distribuors truck the way Bear Republic gets in.
  14. Davidh

Davidh Zealot (85) Louisiana Nov 8, 2006

Sorry but we do not have allagash. We have lots of ommegang but no allagash.

calandros employee,
    Beerbuddha likes this.
  15. The whole time, I was curious if he could have been mistaking Ommegang for Allagash lol
  16. Kwatt99

haha yea your right, my bad!
  17. boredstate

boredstate Disciple (65) Louisiana Feb 20, 2010

Seriously doubt we'll see DFH anytime soon, but I have my fingers crossed. They've already pulled out of a few states because of distribution problems in the last year or so. I have heard the rumors about NB as well, but we shall see. Looking forward to Green Flash for sure.
    Beerbuddha likes this.
  18. bro2

bro2 Disciple (65) Missouri Dec 15, 2009

Wonder if Gf will be coming to Alexandria? Would love to try their stout:)
  19. I find it crazy that those beers aren't already in LA. Blows my mind.
  20. Beerbuddha

I find it crazy too. There is no excuse. Although I'm not so sure we have the amount of craft beer drinkers needed to sustain a lot of different craft beers in the market.
  21. Buddha, I wonder if the issue is demand or our unfortunate geographical placement between Texas and Mississippi. Because the nature of capitalism is that demand can be created, right?

Texas is huge, AL/MS have the beer laws, so New Orleans might just be in a part of the country where we're not along any kind of convenient distribution route. We're stuck in the middle of stuff coming toward us from the west, north, and east, but not making it to us.

Agreed with everybody though: the lack here is ridiculous, especially when you see that breweries like Founders is in Alabama, Deschutes is in Texas, and New Belgium is in Texas and Arkansas.
  22. Beerbuddha

I have always argued that our location has a lot to do with it. Why pass through Alabama and Mississippi just to get to us? Now that they raised the cap in both states maybe we will see more. I also think demand isn't all that high.
  23. Just got back from Calandro's in Baton Rouge and they had Green Flash stuff! They had West Coast IPA, Hop Head Red, Double Stout, Le Freak and Rayon Vert. Their stuff was already running low so hurry up if you're in BR.
  24. wyatt

wyatt Savant (290) Louisiana Nov 18, 2009

Anyone know if we are getting Sierra Nevada/Russian River Brux?
  25. avenuepub

Yep we are!
  26. LSUPT

LSUPT Initiate (0) California Feb 3, 2011

Sounds like it will be here this week
  27. LSUPT

BRUX and Ovila Belgian style golden are available at Stein's as well as Soudt's double Ipa, and Trippel. Apparently he's getting some clown shoes next week.
  28. How much is the Brux selling for?
  29. LSUPT

I think 14.29
  30. LSUPT

Clown shoes actually came in today: Pimp, Muffin Top, Blaecorn Unidragon, Eagle Claw Fist, Chocolate Sombrero, Miracle, and Clementine 1.5 bombers and 4packs of Clementine.
  31. LSUPT

Heard recently that Goose Island could be here within the next 6 months
  32. avenuepub

Yep..heard that too
  33. Avenue Pub -- very excited about the Timber Beast and potential Goose Island developments. Any news on Lagunitas?
  34. Also: Stein's now has the 10th Anniversary Ruination in bottles in addition to the Avenue Pub having it on tap.
  35. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I just picked up 10th Anniversary Ruination in Baton Rouge today at Calandro's. I also found Green Flash Trippel and Green Flash Imperial Indian Pale Ale at Calandro's today. We're still waiting for Beer Camp out here. I was told at Matherne's that we would be getting it next week.
  36. avenuepub

I think beer camp is due in the CC warehouse this week so it should be soon. I've heard positive things about Laguntias ...no contract that anyone is speaking of yet.

And FYI I heard this week that Breaux Mart in New Orleans has cases of SN Bruxx in case anyone is still looking for it.

Oh and Brash Brewing is entering the New Orleans market in Late Sept. NOLAs double IPA MechaHopzilla will be released in mid sept. draft only for now I think.
  37. acevenom

We also still have plenty of SN Brux and SN Hoptimum here in Baton Rouge in case anyone is looking for these.
  38. Brux at Whole Foods in NO as well.

Stein's also now has some Southampton bottles.
  39. Swampworks

Swampworks Zealot (80) Louisiana Jun 1, 2010

I contacted NB directly, as I did a while back and while the rumor of their future appearance in La is true, there is a "bad news" side to the story also. I was told in the response from the brewery that NB will be coming to La once the new brewery on the east coast is up and running. They told me that construction on that will BEGIN in 2015. I think we should all hold our breath. :mad:
  40. acevenom

While that's certainly bad news, I would prefer a brewery be able to meet its demand and deliver a consistent, quality product. Still, consider how many new breweries have made it here in the last year. Lagunitas is going to have a major expansion and we should be part of it. We have rumors of Goose Island making it to the Louisiana market. Things will no doubt improve here since so many laws have recently changed in Mississippi and Alabama. The future is bright indeed.
    EgadBananas likes this.