1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Divine Reserve 13

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by JohnBender, Dec 19, 2012.

1. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I didn't get the impression from my bottle I tried last night that aging it would do all that much. The genesis of many of those statements are due to the beer being "hot" or boozy, but that wasnt my impression of this one.

2. GHamilton

GHamilton Disciple (50) Texas Feb 22, 2013

Looking for Sixers too. Would like to find some on the west side.

3. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

The only bottle I tried was overcarbed and an absolute mess. I'd bet my testicals that the beer tastes better with age on it.

4. corbey

corbey Aficionado (170) Texas Oct 22, 2006

The HEB on Far West still had about a case and half at 8:00 am this morning. (Of course, that assumes you're in Austin!)

5. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Savant (255) Texas Jun 25, 2011

Completely unrelated: Have you had that damned Victory at Sea yet?!

6. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (515) Texas Apr 13, 2010

This stuff is turrible. I can't believe I wasted so much time trying to track it down.

7. Clonies720

No :(

8. crusian

hmm, mine was not overcarbed...

9. Clonies720

Yeah it was weird. I popped it for a beer education seminar I hosted for friends. I bought the beers myself and tried to get everything as fresh as possible. I'll ask my buddy if he by chance remembers the characteristics of that particular beer.

I remember how delicious it was on tap, and this bottle had my tongue prickling from all the carb. I was almost sort of embarrassed to discuss the fine qualities, and then it tasted like that....But everyone loved it regardless.

10. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Question: Are DR releases pasteurized? Bottle conditioned?

11. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (205) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Plenty (couple of cases) of DR13 at the HEB at 620/2222. Sitting on the shelf. No limit.

BK

12. crusian

Hmm, that last comment confused me, so I went back and reread everything. I was talking about the Dr 13. sorry about that.

13. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

IIRC, They are unpasteurized and, bottle conditioned. The only one ever filtered was DR11 (Endeavour)

I could be wrong.

14. gomezman78

gomezman78 Aficionado (215) Texas Mar 30, 2011

It was run through a centrifuge to remove yeast, but not filtered. The same was done with DR12 but we had some centrifuge issues that we didn't realize were issues until there was a bunch of yeast in bottles. Won't have that problem with DR13 though.

Then we force carbonate and package. We don't even have the capability to pasteurize, and there are no plans on that changing any time soon.

15. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Savant (260) Texas Jan 10, 2013

On a lark I went by my local Krogers and the had 6 packs, on sale for $6.79...good deal I am thinking ;)

Drinking one now, a bit sweeter than I thought it would be, strong malty note

16. turfy

turfy Savant (405) Texas Mar 17, 2010

$6.79???? $14.99 at College Station HEB...

17. HoustonZ33

Where?! - I'll leave work NOW and cop another case lol

18. mrkmrk

Yeah, I'm agreeing with you guys on this one. Good for the price, but I definitely prefer the more traditional quads. I just don't like the kinds of spice flavor I'm getting on this compared to its Belgian brothers; the same goes for The Sixth Glass.

19. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Exactly, take it for what it is. In my opinion a quality quad at a discount price. And when I say quality, I mean QUALITT!

20. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Thatll teach me to not check the website from my phone, i was in that area ALL FUCKING DAY.

of course, i cant transport alcohol in my work vehicle so id have been in serious trouble if i had known LOL

I love Quads, loved boulevards take on them, never been a fan of the St. Bernardus though.

on an aside, since i have to let someone know and i know none of my actual family peruse these forums,

my daughters pregnant and i have no idea how to react. Everyone thought i was going to go ballistic, and i just.....well, i guess i dont know how to react.

pps. Victory at sea is everywhere i shop so if you just havent gotten a bottle, let me know ill grab one and we can meet somewhere for a share!

21. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Not sure what to think about not liking St. Bernardus. :D

I don't know how old your daugter is but congrats on a grand baby.

Victory at Sea is still everywhere in Houston as well. It just keeps coming and coming and coming.

22. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Gotta be pragmatic. The only real way to have influence on anything involving your grandchild is to be supportive and try to gently steer your daughter towards better decisions.

So, um, yay beer. Speaking of, we should have a meet up in the RR area. Put faces to names and beer in bellies.

bentwookie likes this.
  23. I've literally never opened this thread till I saw Divine Reserve at HEB about an hour ago and picked it up. Haven't had a quad in awhile so I'm glad it was there.

Ford likes this.
  24. Delicious

Ford likes this.
  25. gtermi

gtermi Champion (760) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Dear god this is one of the best beers that Saint Arnold's has produced IMO.. About even with Pumpkintor

26. Brvn

Brvn Aficionado (190) Oklahoma Jul 24, 2008

I had the chance to buy this in Austin yesterday and did not realize it was a quad or I would have. Have a friend going up there tomorrow. Anyone know of where six packs will still exist Friday? And can someone tell me the cost of a six pack so I can give him money.

27. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Oh, I'm sure it'll be around for at least another week or two... longer in lesser known spots. Houston this aint.

28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (610) Texas Nov 27, 2011

RR get together would be great. Wonder if we could have something at HomeField or Westside.

Oh, and congrats, Gramps! ;)

bentwookie likes this.
  29. crusian

I'll bite...
    How old is she? how long has she been with the guy? staying with him for the long haul? is he a nice guy, be a good dad, and not skirt his duties?

30. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (205) Texas Nov 9, 2009

Popped a bottle of this last night. I think it is a very delicious quad - one that is very well balanced, flavorful, and quaffable. I appreciated it greatly as it was not overly cloying - attenuated well for the style. I do think, compared to the Belgians, that it's lacking the complexity that the Belgian yeast strains provide. I think DR13's flavor is based on the malt bill and adjuncts (candy sugar?) and comes out pretty clean, whereas the belgian yeast strains will throw off ester and phenolics.

Could our friend who works for SA (gomezman78) tell us what yeast was used to ferment DR13? Malt bill?

BK

mrkmrk likes this.
  31. mrkmrk

Woah, woah now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. ;)

32. Walt

Walt Initiate (0) Texas Aug 6, 2006

You know what my vote is.

33. Thoroughly enjoyable. Didn't feel the alcohol

Bought three sixers, but two are on the move to other people, so I'm really sitting on one plus a bomber my ladyfriend got for me in Katy. Not bad.

34. gomezman78

gomezman78 Aficionado (215) Texas Mar 30, 2011

Malt Bill: 2Row, Munich, Caravienne, Chocolate. + Extra Dark Belgian Candi Syrup

Yeast: Belgian Abbey

35. HoustonZ33

I cracked open another bottle last night and... I must say - I really, really like this brew.

I hope I can still find some in Houston over the weekend, They really do need to look at bringing this one back.

Ford and champ103 like this.
  36. gtermi

gtermi Champion (760) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Oh do I not get an opinion? :)

cfh64 likes this.
  37. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Best SA has ever made.... I don't think it's that bold of a statement.

38. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (475) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Fort Worth peeps. This is on tonight, cask version, along with a nice list of other things at Live Oak. Ill be trying to make it out. I think Bennett will be onsite as well.

A cask will be going on at the Saucer I think next Friday.

I popped a bomber a couple nights ago and I cannot comment on how good it was compared to other Quads since I really don't like em much but it was pretty dang tasty..I won't be buying more unless trade partners will want some but was very happy to try it

39. mrkmrk

No, you totally do! It's just clearly an objective fact that Pumpkinator is the be-all end-all of SA beers, and if you disagree, you must be toooooootally wrong.

Clonies720 and Cablejelly like this.
  40. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

Is it Boulevard 6th Glass good or Rochefort 10 good ?