1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

DMS in a starter

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Apr 4, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I batch sparge and tend to do a 3rd running for starters. I boil it down a bit, but don't keep a timer on it. I'm sure it's not for a full 60 minutes and there's probably still some DMS in there. I'm wondering if this is an issue for making starters. I also tend to decant the beer off the top of my starters before I pitch. Any thoughs?
  2. mattbk

mattbk Savant (390) New York Dec 12, 2011

I would think if you're hitting a gravity 1.040 +/- 0.05 points, cold crashing and decanting, then you'd be fine.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Are you making your starters from DME? If so, there's no reason to worry about DMS.
  4. inchrisin

Third runnings from a mash tun.
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not sure how I missed that. Personally, I wouldn't boil for less time than I would boil the wort from that particular grist for a beer. I do crash and decant my starters, but that doesn't mean that there is no flavor contribution at all from the remaining spent wort.

But really, have you noticed any DMS or other issues? That would be the real test for you.
  6. inchrisin

I haven't noticed anything yet, but I'm trying to make my second lager next weekend. I need about 5 liters of starter total, and I'm wondering if this is something I should be leery of.
  7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Wouldn't the wort boiling time for driving off DMS also be impacted by how much wort there is? Driving off all of the SMM from an all Pils malt mash in 5-10 gallons would seem to need the 90 minute boil due to the size, but 5L of wort is much less volume to drive the SMM from, or does it matter?
  8. inchrisin

I would guess it's a process over time, but I have very little information to base this off of. You don't boil a 40 gal batch any longer than a 5 or 10 gal batch.
    jbakajust1 likes this.