Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Do BAs like to cook?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by alysmith4, Mar 11, 2013.

Do you like to cook?

1. Yes

235 vote(s)
  2. No

12 vote(s)
  1. Seems like a random question, I know, but I've been curious. It would make sense that one with a defined palate (for beer) would also like good food. Opening up a bag of Doritos while enjoying a BCBS doesn't seem logical (not that I'm against it!), so I'm wondering how many BAs out there like to cook.
  2. gcamparone

gcamparone Advocate (625) Rhode Island Dec 6, 2011 Verified

Thought this was a dumb question until I read your explanation and now I'm intrigued..
    alysmith4 likes this.
  3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

That is pretty ridiculous. Anyone who knows anything would be eating Crunchy Cheddar Jalepeno Cheetohs.
    GA_SIPPER, CKYnick01, Cee-Poe and 5 others like this.
  4. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (365) New York Aug 23, 2012

does the pope shit in the woods?
  5. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Yes, but I'm not about to cook a whole gourmet 4 course meal just because I want to open a good beer...I'm much more inclined to just order-out.
    jmccraney and alysmith4 like this.
  6. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (345) Ohio Dec 28, 2011 Verified

Cook good food, eat good food. Make good beer, drink good beer.
  7. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Champion (805) Maryland Oct 15, 2011 Verified

Problem is, even though I can cook quite well, my palate tastes are VERY specific. e.g. I make 75% of everything I eat ridiculously spicy.

If anything, drinking beer has taught me to appreciate general flavor subtleties better.
  8. APreacher

APreacher Savant (330) California Jun 6, 2012 Verified

Trained chef here, brewmaster in the works.
    aoampm, Kenzie, franklinn and 2 others like this.
  9. Nope, nope, nope, you're doing it all wrong! Hot Cheeto Puffs.

I usually bake with my leftover beer. I made awesome homemade brownies topped with ganache with my leftover Abraxas.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Poobah (1,060) New York Mar 12, 2009 Verified

Haha skillet is warming right now for some of my famous beer batter chicken strips. Today's will be done with Captain Lawrence IPA. Sipping a Founders Breakfast stout as I wait for the batter to set. I'm actually a better baker than chef, but I do all right on the stove top too. Raising two hungry boys will do that.
  11. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (740) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

This sounds crazy...didnt someone around here make brownies with Rare or Vanilla (or perhaps something equally crazy)?

My fiancee and I are both really into cooking...I'm always researching different ways to use beer as well. Looking forward to the warm weather so I can fire up the grill for beer brats and whatnot.
    Pinioned and alysmith4 like this.
  12. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (305) California Jul 12, 2012

Cook all the time and too much. mushroom/asparagus risotto this weekend on the side of a beef/veal livers potato onions mushroom main.
    BeerKangaroo and alysmith4 like this.
  13. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (860) Michigan May 8, 2006

I do not think there is any direct correlation between BAs and cooking. There will definitely be a fair amount that do but I do not believe the percentage is any higher than any other segment of the population.

I know plenty of people in the restaurant industry that drink "lesser" beer all the time. The preference for better food does not always lead to better booze and vice versa.
    franklinn and alysmith4 like this.
  14. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Do nachos count?
  15. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Advocate (580) Minnesota Feb 13, 2013 Verified

Fuck yeah! Cooking is how I got me a wife.
  16. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Advocate (605) Wisconsin Apr 16, 2012 Verified

HELL YES!!! If I had greater confidence in my ability to be successful, I'll love nothing more than to open a gastropub. For now, I'm an engineer, but maybe in time that'll change.
    judkinst and alysmith4 like this.
  17. yamar68

yamar68 Champion (910) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

They're trying to decide that as we speak.
  18. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Advocate (580) Minnesota Feb 13, 2013 Verified

Do they put out brown smoke when they reach a decision?
  19. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Love good food but I'd rather have my gf cook than try myself.
    alysmith4 and jmccraney like this.
  20. My boyfriend and I couldn't finish it all-- ain't nobody got time for that! and we didn't wanna waste it. :p

He uses IPAs and stouts for his bbq sauces.
    BeerKangaroo and alysmith4 like this.
  21. dudes that love good beer love to cook bangin' ass food. it's science.
  22. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,290) Maryland Mar 18, 2008 Verified

Sure do, first passion by far and still is.
  23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

:/ Stop being a wuss. Go cook something! It's very fun and rewarding!
  24. Good food is what got me into good beer. I started off just liking to eat, but then cooking became an obsession. Additionally, making as many things from scratch as I can became an obsession. I now make homemade pasta, mozzarella, sausage, salami, tomato sauce (from raw tomatoes), and an array of other things. This lead me to homebrewing. Home brewing lead me to craft beer. Before that I was a Long Trail Ale, SNPA guy exclusively. I just got into homebrewing because I like being able to make the things I enjoy eating.
  25. Absolutely love to cook. And pairing beer with food is a lot of fun for me. I pick up In and Out Burger or Chik-fil-a occasionally but other than that, I hate ordering out.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  26. GabrielM

GabrielM Savant (370) New Mexico Jun 22, 2010 Verified

I love cooking and make dinner for my wife and I 4 or 5 nights a week (the other nights we go out or cook together). I think food and beer/wine go hand in hand and definitely enhance each other. Tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with shrimp scampi and a white wine sauce, served with a white Bordeaux. However, beer is equally good with food, such as cheese (try Chimay's stuff, it's outstanding!), and hot Thai curry with cold IPAs (perhaps my favorite beer/food combo).
  27. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

The only time I cook is when hunting (wild game is amazing fresh) although thats really grilling not cooking.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  28. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (450) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010 Verified

do I like to cook?! I made breakfast stout chili plus a chocolate breakfast stout cake with breakfast stout genache for my family for MY birthday lol.
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] no cake pics sorry.
  29. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I love to cook, but don't cook or eat a proper meal when I drink beer. Corn chips and hummus is as good as it gets when I'm enjoying a few beers.

Beer is food. Food is beer. Any questions?
  30. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

31. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Buzzkiller ^^^
    alysmith4, joeseppy and njhopspop like this.
  32. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (475) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006 Verified

These might be the best "chip" out there. Friggin' amazing!
  33. animal69

animal69 Advocate (605) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

Yup, i turned my love for cooking into a culinary career a few years ago in fact !
  34. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (695) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I know there are people foodies that don't fret about beer and beer drinkers that don't give a lot of thought to food, but I do believe there is some connection. There is a reason Whole Foods and other upscale grocers have better beer selections than the Wal-mart Super Center. People who care more about flavorful food are going to care more about the flavors in the beer they drink.

*yes, I understand there are socio-economic factors, too
    alysmith4 likes this.
  35. But only the maple bourbon barrel aged version, of course.
  36. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I love to cook. I think that having a good knowledge of food helps when pairing food with beer (or wine or whatever)
    Pinioned, jRocco2021 and alysmith4 like this.
  37. SaisonDeath

SaisonDeath Aficionado (125) Jun 20, 2012

I cooked once but it just got in the way of drinking.
    SpunkyHopslammer and BlackDragon like this.
  38. godlessape

godlessape Savant (310) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

Yes. I love cooking spicy food to go with my brew's. Gumbo, Mexican, Italian, BBQ, and I make some damn good Buffalo wings.
  39. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I acutually prefer cooking to wind down after a long day than a beer.
  40. stakem

stakem Poobah (1,015) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009 Verified

It put a smile on my face that I am reading this topic on my phone while cooking what is going to be my breakfast for the rest of the week: cream chipped beef (only its not beef, its venison.)

For supper this evening we had shrimp cooked in my home brew berliner weisse. I havent read much into it but if the word isnt out yet on how awesome shrimp is when cooked in berliner, people need to know.
    Thorpe429, alysmith4 and ehammond1 like this.