1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Do BAs like to cook?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by alysmith4, Mar 11, 2013.

?

Do you like to cook?

1. Yes

234 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Member

I do like to cook, and I also homebrew. They are a great way to take something from it's raw initial ingredients and finish with something fantastic. So I do see some correlation between brewing and cooking as it's a form of creative expression.

Also, I do like to drink while I cook. And at times, i've been cooking something, whilst having a beer, and thought "Man, I bet some of this beer in this sauce would be great!" and gone for it. It's turned out amazing. The other night I was making a cardamom based curry with apples, mint and raisins, and a splash of my homebrew in the sauce was great!
    alysmith4 likes this.
  2. LMT

LMT Member

Saturday, starting at around 5pm...

1) drink great beer from fridge
    2) repeat step 1
    3) start cooking good food
    4) eat and be happy (either with another step 1 or a good wine)
    alysmith4 likes this.
  3. WBD

WBD Member

I cook ever day. I would wilt if I had to rely on the wife's cooking.

Tonight we will dine on wild Alaskan salmon with a bottle of cake bread chard. Wild rice and broc. I have a nice bottle of unannounced beer for finish.
    alysmith4 and mecummins like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Cooking is a major part of my life and, lucky me, I get to do it every day. Our system is pretty cool- my wife brings home what looks interesting, is on sale, whatever, and I get to make meals out of it. I've got a cabinet with Mexican ingredients, one with Indian, one with East Asian, I grow all sorts of herbs, etc... Sometimes it's traditional, sometimes a unique concoction, but we never get in a rut.

This week is kind of like Iron Chef:Cabbage, because the stores are practically giving it away and we have a lot of it. I don't think I'm going to be breaking out the ice cream maker, though...;)
    sjverla, Pinioned, corby112 and 5 others like this.
  5. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Member

there's clearly a very strong connection.

tonight i shall cook some of the chicken kabob from the meat i got from the persian store yesterday... wish side of couscous, vegg..hummus..and the armenian 14 year aged pickled garlic. not even kidding
    Pinioned likes this.
  6. alucard6679

alucard6679 Member

Nothing like BA Bigfoot with some ramen! Actually I think the BA Bigfoot is the reason I'm eating ramen.....Worth it.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  7. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

i think you're right that the preference for better food does not necessarily lead to the preference for better booze, but i think the correlation's probably stronger the other way. foodies like to get drunk too.
    Pinioned and alysmith4 like this.
  8. Haydn-Juby

Haydn-Juby Member

What is this "Leftover beer" you speak of ?
    Pinioned, alysmith4 and fx20736 like this.
  9. Droogins

Droogins Member

Why cook when you can just eat a beer?

In all seriousness, I don't do anything more complicated than throw a vegan burger on a pan and flip it, or make an omelet out of egg whites, or boil cabbage. Plenty of room for the imp stouts and IIPAs.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  10. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

As previously mentioned, my passion for beer started with my passion for cuisine. My favorite thing in the world was standing in the kitchen when my Grandmother got home from work, listening to her, and watching her every move. I take alot of pride in my cooking.
    frazbri and alysmith4 like this.
  11. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

nooo, the best chip is kettle chips thai potato chips. f'ing amazing!
    I got into cooking as a hobby way back when I was in my early teens. Much more recently, I got into great brews... but I always presumed what you did... that people w/ refined palates would get the most out of a beer hobby, and would probably like cooking / unusual foods more than the general population.

I love cooking/eating spicy asian and african food :p which goes wonderfully w/ beer, btw...
    alysmith4 likes this.
  12. WBD

WBD Member

Go for the kale when you have a chance. I grow both kale and cabbage. Along with other greens.

Sausage chicken and kale soup.
    alysmith4 and TongoRad like this.
  13. powz87

powz87 Member

I prefer to eat yogibeers cooking than my own. He provides the food I provide the shelf turds.
  14. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Member

Stay-at-home dad. I clean house, drink beer, brew beer, and cook. My wife, child, and I like my cooking... although I really enjoy my beer!
  15. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Member

Nothing wrong with throwing a bag of Dorito's on the grill! From the late Mitch Hedberg:

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it."

Cheers!
    alysmith4 likes this.
  16. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

That works? I presumed they would basically char and burn up.....
  17. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Member

Dude your on the wrong website
  18. mudbug

mudbug Member

Well, I guess over 90% might disagree. And judging by the cars in the junk food chains I'd say that it's a huge amount different from the general population. This does not surprise me in the least. The desire for finer beer will definitely spill over to a desire for fine food. As for folks in the restaurant industry, I think thats the place where you will find A lot of people that don't want the "Busman's Holiday" In other words you might find that they don't like cooking at home, can't blame them a bit. I love cooking, I've won awards for some of my dishes but there is no way in Hell I would work in a restaurant. Heck, five of my neighbors can crank out meals that would be right at home in a 5 star place and they all prefer craft beer.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  19. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

We have Kale, too- and that sounds really good! Thanks.
    Pinioned likes this.
  20. WBD

WBD Member

I like that a lot. Passing down old school cooking is the way to go.

God bless grand mom.
  21. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Member

must be the yeasty part in the bottom of the glass or a keg from a party otherwise left over beer is impossible
    alysmith4 likes this.
  22. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Member

30 year Hotel Executive Chef in Downtown Cleveland Ohio, love of good food and palate to appreciate it, just a natural carryover for the elixir that keeps all good chefs sane. ;) Great to cook with, fun to pair food with, and the appreciation to enjoy when it is done just right at the end of a day.
  23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Member

Nothing in this post makes sense.
    Pinioned likes this.
  24. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Member

Not the polar pope!

[​IMG]

For the OP:

I have a degree in hospitality/restaurant entrepreneurship, took a combination of culinary and business classes. I'll be spending this summer in England while attending school for professional brewing. I sincerely hope that some of you will one day enjoy a delicious meal, paired with a delicious beer, at my brewpub. I also hope that I will be successful enough to get myself out of the tremendous debt that comes with following one's dream!
  25. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Member

This poll will not give an accurate view of what it is trying to establish. With the title of the thread you are more likely to get responses from BAs who like to cook. Many who vote no are more likely to ignore this thread all together.

My point was not to ignore the connection that does exist, just to say that many people like to cook and I do not believe that the better beer community has a significantly higher percentage that any other community.
  26. raffels

raffels Member

Sounds like a good time to try your hand at kimchi (just to keep the discussion fermentation based). Or sauerkraut like my Grandaddy did, much to my Grandmother's dismay:)
    TongoRad likes this.
  27. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Member

LOL yeah dude, good luck.
  28. mudbug

mudbug Member

Fair enough, but IMO you are incorrect and that a very high percentage of BA's either like cooking or gravitate towards fine food. I do agree that this pole is a unreliable measure but the 94% is an indication IMHO
    jRocco2021 and alysmith4 like this.
  29. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Member

This thread just tells me that more people should be contributing to the "sharing your pairing" thread!!
    alysmith4 and Bierlerner like this.
  30. Andygirl

Andygirl Member

I love to cook & bake.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  31. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Member

I like to cook. I love to cook with all different types of beers. My favorite food in the world to cook is Greek....or sometimes a little more general as Mediterranean.
    RobertColianni and alysmith4 like this.
  32. NoSignsOfPain

NoSignsOfPain Member

like uhh Abraxas, Abyss... actually had some left over Iced Eclipse that would've been a good one, but I got lazy the day after the bottleshare
  33. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

I not only cook and bake, I cook and bake from scratch and create my own recipes :D. Nobody has ever complained.
    Pinioned, jRocco2021 and alysmith4 like this.
  34. Didn't though it would be such a difference. But I must say this data is skewed given this is a "Beer & Food" section. Try that on the main forum and the result will be much different.

Answering the question, I like to eat good food (specially with good beer), but I'm not a great fan of cooking, don't hate it, but I'm not a great fan.
  35. mudbug

mudbug Member

This was on the main forum
    It got moved
    alysmith4 likes this.
  36. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Member

Cooking is a ritual for me. I cook dinner nearly every evening if schedule allows. I don't eat out unlless it's something I can't pull off myself. Homebrewing became an extension of cooking, and then interest in wider styles of beer from that. My favorite thing is cooking & pairing foods with beers.
    devlishdamsel and alysmith4 like this.
  37. smutty33

smutty33 Member

I loooooove to cook!

Happy Pairing All......!

Cheers
    alysmith4 likes this.
  38. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

Takes more photo and prep co-ordination ;)
  39. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

I like to eat,so therefore I like to cook also..
    Is it redundant to add like to drink great beer too ?
  40. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

We ran into a ton of cabbage (my wife knows the aversion I have for cooking/eating veggies, I am super finiky). I am the cook/chef/god in the house cause I get home first and I enjoy it more than she does (she is the baker though).

ME: What the ***K are we gonna DO with all this dam cabbage??
    She: (consults a plethora of a million cookbooks, and clipped out news recipes so she can say.. make this!) Look here from our Danish cookbook.
    Me: hands me a real simple recipe. It's Rød Kaal . This says a friggin whole CUP OF SUGAR?! (Actually I think it was some other Kaal name since it wasn't red cabbage)
    She: yeah
    Me: ok... (makes it). wow this is good!

Also try a Romanian cabbage recipe with wine, in fact A long stewed cabbage with wine or probably a decent beer over MANY hours with spices is pretty brainless and really tastes solid.

happy Cabbage eating.

PS - try a beer with a Rod Kaal recipe, and let me know how it goes ;)
    TongoRad and alysmith4 like this.