1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do Bourbon County Stout and KBS just dominate other bourbon barrel stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Jan 8, 2013.

1. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Have you tried CW BB Stout? I think it is better FRESH than BCBS is. However, I think BCBS is better with age. Plus CW is about $13/4pk whereas BCBS is about $22/4pk.
    gpawned likes this.
  2. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

BB Plead the 5th kicks ass. Maybe better than BCBS...heresy, I know.
    davey101, mfield14 and atoulouk like this.
  3. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

DuClaw's Retribution is by far my favorite in this category. This is one case where buying and drinking local for me has its rewards.
    mwrecording likes this.
  4. Yes.
    Schwantz likes this.
  5. I guess I couldn't disagree more.

2012 BCBS is the first vintage I've had fresh that I'd even call a great beer - it's always been way too hot and boozy. With age it turns into something special though...

KBS is kind of the opposite - spectacular fresh, but closer to middle of the road with age.

I think Parabola is the king of this category. Just a few more off the top of my head that are at least as good, if not better than KBS/BCBS... Silva Stout, Abyss, Black Tuesday, CW, EC Eclipses, Cuvee Delphine, Lindley Park... and I have yet to try many of the most well known ones like BA Dark Lord, BA Huna, Black Note, BA Pt5, etc.

You can't argue with the accessibility and price of BCBS and KBS relative to many of these others. But on taste alone they're no better.
    gpawned, vurt and BuckeyeOne like this.
  6. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

I think Big Bad Baptist is the best bourbon barrel aged COFFEE stout. Im my opinion, it's far superior to KBS.
    nUgZ likes this.
  7. I personally like trying new things. Sometimes trying a new beer leads to disappointment. If you want to know what you're getting, drink something you know you like.

I did really like Smuttynose's Zinneke, FWIW.
  8. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Had my first Black Xantus lately and holy crap if that isn't a great beer
  9. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm going to jump on the Parabola band wagon. For me, it stands head and shoulders above the rest.
    gpawned and JonnyBeers like this.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I seem to be one of the few who has gotten less and less impressed with KBS as I tried more BBA stouts. BCBS is among the best, but I'll be passing on KBS from here on out.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Jumping on the kbs hate train... parabola, bayeti, and uncle jacobs all blow it out of the water. As far as bcbs goes, I think that it is an amzing stout, and in that top tier with the ones I just listed. Depending on my mood I could put any of those three ahead of bcbs or vice versa. Once you get to. The cream of the crop its hard to pick a front runner simply because palates are different and change.
    alexipa likes this.
  12. cough cough double black cough cough
    victory4me likes this.
  13. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

still haven't had either :(
  14. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

BCBS with age > BBpt5 (never had a four year old bottle, so that will be the real comparison) > KBS. Fresh, BBpt5 > BCBS > KBS.
  15. If you haven't had Barrel Aged Big Sound from Cigar City, you're missing out. Easily one of my top 2 or 3 bourbon aged beers. Not to mention the People's Porter BA from Foothills isn't too bad, especially for the price point. I've had two kegs of it over the past year.
  16. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I think it all depends what you want out of one. Some are those coffee profiled, others have different angles.. just hanging with KBS and BCBS keeps me plenty pleased, as do many of the others in this thread that have already been mentioned. Good problem to have.

I do go out of my way sometimes to try other things, but I don't go with the intention wondering/hoping is this beer (style) going to be better than my favorite. If it is then great! But if it isn't then great! It's all win win...

stick with what you like, and don't kill yourself trying to get others if you're happy where you are.
  17. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

I don't get all the big bad baptist dominating KBS posts. Both great beers but the big bad baptist I recently tried is dominated in aroma and flavor by straight up coffee. Not a bad thing but the other components were hidden and not in sync as well as KBS.
  18. They are definitely up there and classics in the category, but there are plenty of similar beers that give them competition.
  19. I've been meaning to ask about this....Is this a trade worthy beer???? I enjoyed it and its local to cali? is it worth keeping for trade? I have 2 but should I get more. Also am I wrong or is Nectar Ales, a firestone brand?
  20. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

The answer is no. Lots of great barrel aged beers out there.
  21. For got to add I've never had either yet...But Stones Bourbon Imperial Stout is AMAZING! if anyones had all and could compare them.
  22. Between BCBS, Parabola, Abyss, and KBS - Abyss is definately the only one I find to be top notch with BCBS trailing behind in 2nd place.
    Its the availability factor for KBS and BCBS

For the record top notch BA stouts for me are- BA Speedway, BBPT5, BA Blackout, The Abyss, Full Pint Rye Rebellion, jackie os bourbon barrel sweet chocolate love
  23. BCBS
    Black Tuesday
    Voodoo Black Magick
    Parabola
    BA BORIS
    KBS
    Abyss
    Black Xantus
  24. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

BA old rasputin is my personal favorite.
    Squidly and Thickfreakness like this.
  25. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Agreed on the mouthfeel. Took me a few tries to really appreciate the flavor as it needs to be drunk slowly and warmed up a bit to really appreciate. But I don't care for the mouthfeel at all. Then again, I run into the same problem with many bourbon aged stouts.
  26. It gets a wide distribution. BX is available in MA.
    MetalMountainMastiff likes this.
  27. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Bourbon Barrel Plead the Fifth kicks KBS and BCBS out of the water....its a F@#KIN JUGGERNAUT
  28. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

In short: No

Others as good or better.
    Lobe BCBS, KBS overhyped in IMO.
  29. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

Eclipse Elijah Craig (12) is pretty amazing. I haven't had BCBS yet, but the Eclipse is truly heavenly.
  30. Did a tasting two weeks ago with both and bsbs was a big winner!
  31. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (350) Germany Jan 22, 2012

I think KBS fresh is the best. After a couple years BCBS is the best.m Parabola and all the other BA beers are good but KBS rules all freshed.
  32. Beejay

Beejay Savant (495) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

I don't care so much about Bourbon County.. But Daymn KBS is a fine ass beer.

That being said, I've been impressed with what smaller breweries have been putting out. Blue Mountain's Dark Hollow is awesome. Hardywood Park seems to be constantly doing good things with bourbon barrels, and Listermann brewing Co's Cincinnatus is stellar.
  33. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (365) Ohio May 13, 2008

There are so many good beers now. Some alot easier to get for some than others but Big Bad Baptist is amazing, GI BCBS 2012 is amazing, Founders always nails it when it comes to balance. There are some amazing non bourbons out there too. Founders Imp Stout, Dark Horse Plead The Fifth, Cigar City Marshal Zhukov, even Great Lakes Blackout Stout. So many good beers all very close in rating. I forgot to mention even some guys are disguising their stouts as Imperial Porters such as Ballast Point Victory at Sea. It's an amazing Imperial Coffee Stout, take Founders Breakfast Stout and add a shot more of espresso.
  34. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (365) Ohio May 13, 2008

People that say "OMG Parabola obliterates KBS" and vice versa STFU all these beers are all phenomenal and any given day one is better than the other. This goes for most mentioned brews on this thread.
  35. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

My 2 pennies:

I love both KBS and BCBS but have to say there are better brews out there. I think Parabola with 1 year on it is fantastic. My number 1 though would have to be Brewdog Paradox Jura. That beer was amazing fresh and still GREAT now. Did a side by side with 4 people of BCBS vs Paradox Jura and it wasn't even close. Everyone said Paradox Jura was leagues better.

I haven't had BB Blackout but that will change in 2 weeks.

PS: ISO: Big Bad Baptist
  36. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Parabola. Case closed bitchez.
    Larkin4beer, tehzachatak and YogiBeer like this.
  37. In a word - No.
  38. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I think most BB stouts that I have had are pretty equal in quality. A couple rise above - BCBS and Parabola, but all of them are pretty equally amazing.
  39. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

agreed...this years is by far the best fresh version of it that i've had, been buying since 2006.
  40. Hmm... I kinda agree with your ranking here, except BA BORIS last and throw in some Eclipses here and there.

Note: Never had VBM and BX