1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do Bourbon County Stout and KBS just dominate other bourbon barrel stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Man.. I think I tried some strange Epic BBB counterfeit cause I do not agree with this even being mentioned here at all.

2. Uncle Jacobs needs to be on these lists. I brought a KBS to the release party to try them side by side and UJ blew it away.

alexipa and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  3. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Cognac is amazing, so I always figured Brunch Weasel Bourbon would be be as good - and thus better than both KBS and BCBS. That said, I love KBS and BCBS.

YogiBeer likes this.
  4. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Beer geek brunch weasel cognac is absolutely unreal. Not even mad that it was $13 for 8.5oz.

Also, I cast my vote that parabola young or old is better than bcbs and kbs, as is BA BORIS. Had lots of all. I also like espresso yeti wayyy better than DL and FBS but that's just me.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  5. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

won't somebody please think of parabola and the abyss?

JonnyBeers and YogiBeer like this.
  6. oh man good call those beers havent been mentioned at all. i bought a 4 pack of kbs 2 years ago and i drank one of them and i gave the other away, i dont know what to do with the other two besides getting just real massively drunk off them

7. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Seriously? KBS is excellent...BBPT5th is waaaaay better...as has been noted, a year on a BCBS is gold...

8. BCBS, KBS, Parabola, BA Boris, BA Plead the 5th, Big Bad Baptist, Black Xantus,The Abyss, ect. are all awesome. You need to re-evaluate your expectations and/or get your tastebuds examined if you think any of those are bad.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  9. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

It needs to be reiterated how fantastic Uncle Jacobs is! I truly feel sorry for those who haven't tried it. Just wish it was more affordable per oz!

fujindemon74 likes this.
  10. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I prefer BCBS to Parabola and KBS. But Karbach's Hellfighter is really nice too. BCBS is delicious though. DEEEEEELicious

11. Its called an opinion. You definately have an opinion that BCBS and KBS are superior beers. You have some curiousity and want to find something else that fits what your enjoying right now.

my advise: do some beer research... make some trades...keep an open mind and you will find your answer to your question. Only you can make the final decision on the question that you pose. But Yes there are better beers out there besides BCBS and KBS; be very fortunate that you can get these beers(BCBS & KBS) on a regular basis. Cheers and happy hunting!

12. I agree with this, its called an opinion. Please see my above post for reference

13. YogiBeer

How much is it, usually?

14. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

It's been a while, but I believe around $20 per 12oz. Same as Rumpkin.

15. YogiBeer

Sweet LORD.

Evil twin needs to get in on that shit.

16. It doesn't stack up with the others in this thread in terms of intensity, but the 2008 BBA Schafly stout is a wonderful beer.

17. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

holy crap, that's the bar prices around here. if you could find it on shelves it was closer to $10

18. I tried BCBS for the first time this year and I think the hype got my hopes up. I thought it would taste a lot better, like it was made out of unicorn tears or something. I still have a couple I will try with some cellar time on them. I think there is a lot of hype surrounding many BA beers, but for what it's worth, New Holland's Dragon's Milk is pretty darn good. It is also easier to find, if it is available in your area. If you look to your left, you will see where my allegiance lies.

19. 1. BB Plead the 5th
    2. BCBS
    3. KBS
    4. Parabola

20. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I think there are probably several dozen bourbon barrel stouts I've had that I liked better than KBS or BCBS (both of which are also great beers, don't get me wrong), so I guess I can't really relate to the feeling of dissatisfaction with hunting down rarer stuff.

21. I think there has been some misinterpretation on what I was trying to say with this thread. I'm not saying that BCBS and KBS are the greatest bourbon barrel stouts out there, necessarily. I'm saying that it's so rare that I seek out a new or rare bourbon barrel stout that's better than them that I'm dissuaded from wanting to make the effort to trade for anything else.

These beers are two of the very best of their style, and since I can just buy them on the shelf where I live, why should I bother going out of my way for lesser or marginally better beers? I've had a ton of bourbon barrel stouts, including most of the stuff mentioned in this thread already, and I'd say there are really only two that are so much better than BCBS and KBS that I'd seek them out via trade again: Bourbon Vanilla Dark Lord and Silva Stout. That's it.

22. There should be a "Barrel-aged Imperial Stout" category.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  23. Silva Stout has only been mentioned twice in this thread? It easily beats out BCBS for me, I guess if it were distributed it would get a lot more attention.

24. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Parabola is just as good as both of these, if not better.

LynnHomeBrewer likes this.
  25. JeepCop

JeepCop Aficionado (245) Kansas May 16, 2010

Okay, after having revisited BBPt5th this evening, I've concluded it falls in at #3 for me. BCBS and Parabola still hold the top 2 spots. Bourbon County Stout has a smoothness and finish to it that I have yet to find elsewhere. If there is a better beer in the style, I would love to find it.

26. Firestone-Walker Parabola.

27. I agree! I'd say its tie between KBS and Parabola withe regular BCBS in top 10. BCBS is to syrupy for me

28. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Depends on where you get it, but at the brewery it's $10 (along with all small batch Avery brews) and $12 everywhere else in Colorado.

doobliebop likes this.
  29. Indeed, although Black Xantus is Oak barrel aged instead of Bourbon barrel

30. BCBS and Parabola are absolutely delicious but my personal favorites are Epic BBB and the H24 Pugachev's Cobra.

nUgZ likes this.
  31. I had Pugachev's Cobra this weekend for the first time. That beer was not good. It was waaaay too sweet and boozy, like a bad version of Black Tuesday.

32. Have we missed any? lol

33. Parabola.

34. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

This is all crazy talk. It's like you guys are just yelling things like, coffee is WAY better than chocolate! NO! S'mores kick Vanilla's ass any day of the week! Shit you have no idea what you're talking about, Scotch is hands down so much better than Bourbon.

Clearly everyone is going to prefer a certain flavor profile. And chances are depending on the age of the bottle and what you had to eat or drink beforehand you'll completely change your opinion the next time you try some of these side by side (the order probably makes a big difference too).

Fresh KBS '12 had lots of Bourbon and some coffee. Today it has mellowed quite a bit but the coffee is coming through nice and strong.

BCBS '12 is quite a bit thicker and has a lot more bourbon character than '12 KBS since it is 7 months younger. Also the vanilla is strong with this one.

Central Waters '11 is like a thinner, less boozy BCBS '12 but the flavor profile is similar (somewhere between BCBS and Parabola). 1414 certainly makes up for all its little brother lacks. Can't wait for 15.

Parabola '12 is drinking like someone poured Woodford over your s'mores. DRINK that shit now. holy crap.

Abyss is a bit on the drier side of things with some nice smokiness.

Cuvee Delphine certainly is a nice twist for the Belgian lover or if you just want something different.

Last year's Eclipse EC12 is really nicely balanced.

BA BORIS is too thin and light on the bourbon for my taste but those who like to age their BA stouts for a year or two might like that sort of thing.

Apple Brandy Khukov and Rum Hunahpu are both magnificent if you like thick and sweet and boozy and complex.

Surprised I didn't see anyone mention Olde Rabbit's Foot. That is a gem worth trying.

How bout Jackie O's Bourbon Dark Apparition. That baby is mighty fine.

Against the Grain/De Molen Bo & Luke? That sucker is Pappy aged. Try it if you ever have the chance. Damn good. Let it sit out over night and it transforms from a BB stout to a smoked stout...weird magic trick.

Stop arguing about which is the best and drink more delicious beer.

Edit: I'm sure 100 people are going to disagree with me about what these things taste like. I prefer that vs. someone disagreeing with me about which one is better. Maybe next time I try it, I'll look for the flavors you said you noticed. (Looking for green pepper the next time I try aged BCBCS...you should look for Spaghetti O's the next time you try Hoppin' Frog Sweet Evil).

35. Personally, I think BBPT5 is in a class by itself. Although, I love KBS, I agree with some that it probably showcases the coffee a little more than most big bourbon barrel stouts, so it's kind of a different beast. BCBS is great, but I don't think it's appreciably better than Parabola.

36. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Black Xantus is a blend of bourbon, oak and wine barrel aged stout. Basically like a baby Parabola.

37. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Any updates on peoples opinions with the black note release? I'm planning on doing a small tasting of bcbs, kbs, bbpt5, parabola, and black note(all will be newest releases). Most likely will be doing this blind to make sure my personal opinions on each beer from previous tastings don't affect my rankings from this group. Any other top notch bourbon barrel stouts I should include? I'm excluding black tuesday, cbs, and bcbs varieties and trying to stick to things a bit more basic.

38. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Not sure what you're getting at here. Ballast Point already has an imperial stout, and it's called Sea Monster.

39. Abyss is worth your time, so is Event Horizon, BA Sexual Chocolate, ORF, Fullsteam IGOR, Silent Night, BA Blackout, BA Siberian Night, Black Note, and BA BORIS.

So yes, searching out everything else. Dont pass up on Peruvian Morning either.

nUgZ and funhog like this.
  40. BA sexy C from the pappy's