1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do Bourbon County Stout and KBS just dominate other bourbon barrel stouts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Jan 8, 2013.

1. It's sounding like some people will be leaving some KBS on the shelves for me! Pumped about it!
  2. KBS is far better than BCBS. Though this years BCBS is not so hot and can be enjoyed right away.
  3. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (370) Ohio May 13, 2008

It's an amazing beer is what I am getting at. Now tell me if you did a blind tasting could you tell me this was an Imperial Porter or Imperial Stout? Doubtful you could tell the difference. The lines are blurred these days.

Ballast Point makes amazing beers. What I am saying is don't miss out on Ballast Point's Victory at Sea if your search criteria is set to Imperial Stout. Victory at Sea tastes like a shot of espresso thrown into a Founders Breakfast Stout. One is called an Imperial Porter the other an Imperial Stout.
  4. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Second the motion
  5. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (345) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

Just visited CW last weekend and had it on tap! It was fantastic. Bought a four pack home for my cellar!
  6. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

There are more than a few 1st rate stouts.
    VncentLIFE likes this.
  7. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

KBS has been one of the best beers I've had to date. BCBS/BCBCS are incredible but seem thin to me. Founders beers have such incredibly and indescribable viscosity to them.
  8. haven't seen it mentioned yet, so i'll throw out some love for ivan the terrible.

i haven't had bourbon county stout in a couple of years. is this year the first time it's been 15%?
  9. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

i'm not alone!
  10. Try CCB. They nail mouthfeel better than anyone I know. Zhukov is the most viscous beer Ive ever had.
    bryanole27 and tobelerone like this.
  11. dcraig13

dcraig13 Aficionado (160) Ohio Sep 13, 2010

Both KBS and BCBS are great BA Stouts but my two favorites are BA Blackout and Black Note.
  12. Easier to get when you live in SoCal. I would know, I traded you half a dozen KBS lol. KBS was damn hard for me to get. I got a case out of pure luck, and if I didn't get one of the half dozen cases the eastern PA distributor sold to customers and not bottle shops, I would've gotten 0 bottles. BCBS wasn't much easier, had to get a friend in Philly go get me 12 for $100. They are great though, and even at that price it's still a good value compared to others. The Abyss 2010 was amazing that I had in November alongside a 2012 BCBS and 2012 KBS. Overall, I'd stick with those as opposed to whale hunting. (Not that I haven't gone and will probably continue to go *somewhat whale* hunting)
  13. Two words... BLACK. NOTE.....enjoy
    Docrock likes this.
  14. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I _could_ tell you it's effin' delicious. But it looks like you already know that. :)
  15. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

16. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

This is what I came here to say as well. I have had both of the OP's said beers and BBPt5TH is the best IMO. It tastes great either aged or fresh!
  17. It is funny how many people are dumping on KBS and how many trade for it after release. It is different than most BA Stouts as it is drier, but I like that about it. I find KBS great fresh and stuff like BCBS better aged though 2012 BCBS was surprisingly great fresh.
  18. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

For me:
    1. Big Bad Baptist
    2. Big Bad Baptist
    3. BCBS
    4. Full Sail Black Gold
    5. KBS
    6. Retribution
    7. BA Boris
    8. Schlafly BBA Imperial Stout
    8. Heresay

Big Bad Baptist is the tits, and deserves gold AND silver. It's like China in Olympic diving.

I haven't had Black Tuesday (but one's on the way!), BA Hunahpu or BA Dark Lord, or Black Note (but 4 are coming soon!)
    BMitch likes this.
  19. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

It's amazing what you can do when you're owned by the world's largest corporate brewery.

On topic, KBS blows BCBS and the vast majority of other bbal stouts out of the water. Hell, I like most bbal stouts over BCBS. Few are on par with KBS to me, but Parabola, CBS, ORF, Lindley Park, Big Bad Baptist, the Oaked Yetis, and Black Note all come to mind. Weyerbacher's Heresy deserves an honorable mention for being delicious, cheap, and easily obtainable. Not as big as most of the other famous ones, but better balanced than most.
  20. nc41

Olde Hickory Event Horizion is as good a many BA Stouts mentioned here as well.
    nUgZ likes this.
  21. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

BB Pt5 is my number 1, but you cannot beat the availability nowadays of BCBS. KBS has never really done it for me. Of those that I've had multiple times I'd rank them:

BB Pt5
    BCBS
    Black Note
    KBS

I had Parabola once and remember it being incredible, but I think I'd have to have it again to make a good judgement as to where it falls on this list.
  22. nc41

Why does anything have to just plain be the best, everything has it's neat little label? Everyone likes different things, and getting a consensus as you can see from this thread is hopeless. Lots of great Stouts imperial or barrel aged, hell you could list a dozen without much effort that are greatly loved. Lots of great IPA's and DIPA's too, everyone has a twist on what they like, I'm sure if you looked you could find a so what on Heady Topper as well.
  23. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

BCBS and KBS may be great but being in an area that they do not get distributed to pretty much takes them out of the running for me. Sure I can attempt to trade for them or find a friend, but that doesn't count as easy in my book. Peg's Rare D.O.S. is easily available a few times a year and is easy to get. B.A. Zhukov and Hunahpu when available during the year are for the most part easy to get if you are in my area.

It just seems this is going to greatly depend on where you are in the country and what barrel-aged stouts are available to you.
  24. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

The only answer here is to try them all and see for yourself. I was surprised that I liked BCBS less than a number of others. With all the buzz I just assumed it was the pinnacle. It was very good (this was fresh 2012), but several others edged it out for me. We'll see what a few years does to it.
  25. mntlover

mntlover Advocate (510) Tennessee Jun 30, 2003

BCBS for me KBS isn't that great to me I much prefer regular Breakfast Stout but I no I am in a minority on that one.
  26. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

Abyss Parabola Speedway Silva Stout Hunapuh Eclipse.
  27. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

One thing that should always be kept in mind when drinking KBS - it is worthless after 6 months, and even 4 is stretching it a bit. The fresher the better, so if you are tasting a KBS any time outside of March-June, then you are not tasting KBS the way it was intended to taste. Fresh it is absolutely one of the best BA stouts out there. Not the best, certainly - Parabola and Black Note are both better, IMO.

BCBS is a different animal altogether. The only beer I've had that is really comparable is Uncle Jacob's, and I like BCBS better. I don't think KBS and BCBS are dominant by any means, but I think they are noticeably better than similarly available beers such as Black Ops and especially BA Boris, which is mediocre.
    gpawned likes this.
  28. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

Agreed 100%
  29. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (585) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

1. CBS
    2. BCBCS
    3. BBPt5
    4. Black Tuesday
    5. KBS
    6. BCBS
    Although I have not yet had BA Blackout Stout or Chocolate Rain.
  30. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

I have a a ton of BA beer and BCBS, BCBCS and Backwoods Basterd stand tall. I have had hoppin frogs, epic etc....
  31. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Just out of curiousity, what does a bottle of BCBS cost in the US? They are releasing it over here in the monopoly next week for the price of 8.50 USD per 12oz bottle. Is that a rip-off or not? Edit: Granted, the 15% abv is sure to tick the price up a bit due to alcohol taxes here.
  32. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Please send all of your KBS to me. I'd be glad to dispose of them.
  33. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

They are between $5 and $6.50 a bottle in the US. $8.50 isn't too bad considering shipping costs, markup and such.
    Crusader likes this.
  34. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Having had BCBS, KBS, BA Blackout, CWBB Stout, BBPT5th, Parabola, BA Boris, and Black Tuesday all within the past month or so, I would rank them:

1. Black Tuesday
    2. BCBS
    3. BBPT5th
    4. Parabola
    5. KBS
    6. CWBB Stout
    7. BA Blackout
    8. BA Boris

I was really impressed with BBPT5th, however Parabola and KBS have lost a good amount of bourbon since they were fresh, so I might have to re-evaluate this once I get fresh bottles of each.

So, to answer your question.... "No." There are lots of good BB stouts out there.
    josephwa likes this.
  35. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

:eek:
  36. bobhits

bobhits Savant (455) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

Shocked by the Parabola love....it's rather average in this category imo. But regular BCS aged a few years is nearly untouchable, this includes even things like Rare. KBS is a nice change, but I'm not sure I'd put it on that level.
  37. Challenge accepted...
    gpawned likes this.
  38. Parabola, BA Plead the 5th, BA Siberian Night, BA Speedway Stout, BA Stone RIS, and BA Imperial Stout Trooper are all great. BCBS and KBS are definitely the front runners though.
  39. I'm not shocked by this...since if you wait long enough, you'll get every possible opinion.
  40. jbecke2

jbecke2 Aficionado (185) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

IMO BCBS is the top and everything else is a substitute...