1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do hops preserve the beer??

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by imhoudinibitch, Feb 27, 2014.

1. So I've been drinking beer for awhile and always thought that they made IPA's in the first place to preserve the beer for longer periods of time, so that way, after they exported the beer to the soldiers, they would still have unskunked beer.....

My question is, if that is actually true then why is it that some IPA's say on the label "Drink Fresh"

2. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

They do preserve the beer undercertain circumstances, but some people much prefer the taste of hops when the beer is freshly brewed and preservation of beer is less of a problem with refrigeratiion, etc.. The flavor of the hops changes over time and the result is not something that some people like. So the brewer is telling you that if you want fresh hop taste...

Edit: Most beer is best consumed fresh.

imhoudinibitch likes this.
  3. It is true that hops have traditionally been used as a preservative in beer as well as to provide bitter flavors that balance the sweetness of the malt. Many BAs (myself included) happen to really enjoy that bitter flavor and it is most intense when the beer is fresh.

4. Stigs

Stigs Advocate (595) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2005

Hops preserve beer by acting as an anti-microbial, keeping the beer from spoiling due to bacterial infections (souring).

Beer typically "skunks" via exposure to light, not the aging of hops...which would be oxidation.

5. Yeah, I had a feeling that was why it said it, but I just wanted to make sure.

Just had heady topper for the first time a few weeks ago and noticed that was on the can.

6. Phew, glad we got that cleared up.

That sir is incorrect and the origins of the IPA isn't so their pale ale would last during voyage over the Indian Ocean.

7. Do you have any information you can share about this??

8. GetMeAnIPA likes this.