1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do NOT touch.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by kell50, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I went to Belgium last year, visited Cantillon, and brought home 3 750ml bottles. The bottles did make it back unbroken, and are currently sitting in my "cellar." I do not have any intention of opening any of these bottles soon, nor do I have any future date set.

My 3 bottles are:

Bruoscella Grand Cru
    Rose De Gambinus
    Saint Lamvinus

Which beers are you keeping "locked up?"

2. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

I've managed to keep safe 2006 Left Hand Smoke Jumper, 2007 Arcadia Cocoa Loco, and a 2007 Arcadia Shipwrek Porter. The things we keep.

3. I'm no where near that level, but I have a Fantome de Noel, and a 2012 Sucaba I plan on holding on to for quite some time.

Some day I will add a Cantillion to that list and hide them deep in the back row of bottles.
    Worst part, I have been to Belgium! and had no idea about good beers at the time, talk about a missed connection.

4. Not the best...But I've had 4 Caldera Moglis for going on 12 months, I plan to open one on july 25th....my dogs first Bday as it is a dog beer....right.

5. I almost didn't open this thread because you told me not to touch. Maybe you you change the title. :)

OtisCampbell, jrnyc, Squidly and 2 others like this.
  6. DrGonzoDDS

DrGonzoDDS Savant (275) Illinois Mar 7, 2010

2012 Utopias locked up. Along with Murda'd Out Stout. Trying to sit on World Wide Stout, but I'll probably drink it soon. Also trying to age 120...see how that goes.

YogiBeer likes this.
  7. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (535) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Took back two dozen beers from Germany and a couple of weeks later I walked into my basement to find my brother passing them out. They were untouchable, but when your not present you never know.

ChanChan likes this.
  8. I have a bottle of North Coast Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2009 I bought to celebrate a future wedding anniversary because 2009 was the year I got married. I might open it in 2029 just for the sake of aging it 20 years, regardless of whether it holds up or not.

match1112 likes this.
  9. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Thomas Hardy's 1990-1994.

itsiilegal likes this.
  10. I am building out a vertical of Abyss. Have 2 * 2010, 2 * 2011, and 2* 2012.

I recently got a couple of Cantillons, but as they were my first I wanted to try them straight away.

11. Sucaba is better fresh. You will hear this from many people. Fresh vs aged I would always take a fresh one.

gpawned and match1112 like this.
  12. badboy7113

badboy7113 Savant (370) Florida Jan 19, 2011

I have a vertical of Darkness 10-12 that I am sitting on for a while...looking to get another 2 years before I open them.

13. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

I buy beer to drink;-)

14. I recently got a bottle of The Wanderer that I have no intention of opening in the near future, but that's mostly because I've had it several times and am waiting for a special occasion or some such.

15. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Only thing that is really "off limits" is a 6er of Expedition Stout I have. Wouldn't say it's off limits as much as I just really, really, really prefer it with a year on it, so once it's October, all bets are off.

Benny3000, afrokaze and ditch like this.
  16. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Got some Surly Five that I only open on my birthday. Beatification B2 which I have no idea when I will open. Surly Four which I want to open soon. Working on a Panil Bariquee veritcal (I have 08,09,10) that I won't touch for a while. '11 Cantillon Vigneronne will probably be sitting a while, too.

17. I have a 2009 Trappist Rochefort that I'm saving for... well I'm not sure. But I'm hoping whatever it ends up being, it's awesome.

18. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I just bought a bottle of black xanthus, anyone know if its better fresh or aged?

19. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

1996 Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, 1992 Courage Russian Stout, 1993 Courage Russian Stout, a few Hardy Ales (can't remember which years), Westvleteren 12 (not sure of the vintage, probably 5-10 years old), some Rochefort 10 with a sell by date of 1998, various editions of Fuller's Vintage Ale, er, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

ShogoKawada, CityofBals and kell50 like this.
  20. Oh, also, I brought back a Westvletern XII single. That too is sitting in "time out."

21. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Jester King Whiskey Barrel Rodeo... probably their best and most elusive release. Saving it for my wedding in May. Can't touch this!

ShameAndFailure likes this.
  22. 2012 and 2013 Sucaba. Contrary to what some people say, I find this far, FAR superior with a year or two on it. Fresh, it's all booze and barrel, no depth of flavor. Might have to start a mini 3-4 year vertical if I have the discipline :) 2008-2012 Bourbon County Stout. Two King Henrys (one for 2013, one for...maybe our first child's birth, hopefully in 2014 or 2015). A 2009 (I think?) 120 minute that will go this year. Dark Horizon, batch 2, to maybe be opened for our firstborn's birthday or an anniversary?

23. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

2011 and 2012 Blabaer. Every so often someone comes along and makes an ill-informed trade offer. I wonder if it's even worth responding to these anymore.

24. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (205) California Jan 10, 2011

I've got a vertical's of Parabola and Abacus/Sucaba that I plan on doing a 5-6 year tasting of. Also have my Bruery 12 Days of Christmas vertical going, which I will have a complete set. If I can somehow land a BBA Partridge i'll also have a full vertical of the Barrel Aged versions. I have a couple other sets that I'm waiting to do verticals with. I think the most random one I'm gonna do is that Karl Strauss 12 Days of Christmas San Diego style.....i don't expect much out of it, I just think it's funny.

ehammond1 likes this.
  25. drink the gambrinus within 2 years
    drink the lamvinus within 5
    let that broucella ride, baby

Plenum and youbrewidrink like this.
  26. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

This thread is the perfect opportunity to butcher a quote from a wise BA and issue a word of warning.

"One time, I almost left a beer that was very special to me someplace where someone could take it, but then I didn't"
    -Overlord

27. Wait until at least 5 years past bottling date.

Trust me. Truuuust me. It's worth it.

DrGonzoDDS and cbeer88 like this.
  28. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Heady Topper...because the rarest Heady is aged Heady

29. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I bought a sixer of Westvleteren XII when it was released here. Drank one, give one to a friend, and am saving the other 4 to have one per year on my birthday to see how it matures.

Squidly likes this.
  30. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I'll see your "been to Belgium", and raise you a "my girlfriend (and her family) is (are) from Belgium, and we went there 2 years ago, and I came back with nothing". :eek:

I too wasn't into "good" beers at the time. I sampled many of the local fare, and drank what they put in front of me, but never visited a single brewery, or even had a single Trappist beer during my week there. o_O

Next visit... I will more than make up for my past sins. :D

31. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I've got some Michelob from 2008 sitting in the fridge. I WILL NOT drink this....ever. But it will be fun to see how long it sits there.

32. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (680) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

We've got some straight Bourbon County back there from the past few years, and recently acquired a bottle of Dark Lord. These will sit in wait together.

33. Fresh imo.

34. Look up Arbitrator's review. That should answer your question.

35. I just had an '11 Fantome de Noel and while I love Fantome, I wouldn't suggest sitting on it. It had a very strange flavor that I do not believe would improve over time. Of course, no one has bottle variation like that wonderful little brewery, so yours might be fantastic, but just a heads up.

36. willbm3

Please drink it. You should drink it the day they stop making Michelob (have they killed it yet?)

37. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

FT: 2008 Michelob
    ISO: Anything you have

:)

38. I have 4 bottles of Thomas Hardy Ale 1989 that I'm saving for once in a lifetime occasions. Like the birth of my first child, 10 year wedding anniversary, etc...

39. willbm3

Not sure that would be worth the box it's packaged in

40. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (365) Texas Nov 19, 2012

120's age pretty nice ;)

DrGonzoDDS likes this.