1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do NOT touch.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by kell50, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

I'm aging a stupid amount of Bigfoot, with each year it getting stupider - I'm buying enough each year (starting in 2011) to enjoy one bottle a year, up through 2023. Bought the first 12 bottles in celebration of my first daughter's birth, doing a Bigfoot vertical tasting on each birthday - so in 2023 we'll have 13 years worth of Bigfoot to try. My wife is not happy about the future state of my closet.
    Ristaccia, ColdOne and bigedct like this.
  2. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

2009 KTG. Not sure when I'll open it. Maybe if my team makes the SB again.
  3. Got a bunch of good stuff I've been storing in the basement. Some of it for years. But nothing's in the do not touch zone. Just give me a reason and bring something to share, or be good at talking or cooking, I'll open anything up for you.
    Andygirl likes this.
  4. Cuvee de Castleton batch 2
    Weyerbacher Riserva 2008
    XI.I by Lancelot 2008
    Gratitude 2007, 2008, 2009
    25th Anniversary Toronado by Russian River
    R&D Golden Ale by New Glarus 2009
    Stevns CCC 2009
    Little Linda's Liquid by Captain Lawrence 2009

And a few others...of course.
  5. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

That's the motto of our tasting group... "We're drinkers, not collectors!"
  6. I know people say this, but I don't really understand it. The first batch of bottles were released less than 2 years ago. That's barely just enough time to let it get past a potential "awkward phase" and turn into something incredible.

All you're going to do to a beer in the first year of aging is knock the heat off it, and you're also risking that awkward phase by opening too soon. You need 2-3-4-5 years depending on the beer to work the real magic most of the time.

Now, that doesn't meant he beer will age awesomely, or even taste better than it did fresh. But it's way too early to judge yet.
    Fluteswell likes this.
  7. Beers have an awkward phase and then become awesome again? I haven't heard that, any examples? I personally dig the bourbon/barrel notes in fresh Sucaba and they seemed to fade in my 1 year old bottle.
  8. Groomsy

Groomsy Savant (350) Kentucky Sep 23, 2010

I just recently bought some Bigfoot that I'll be aging. I'm saving some for my friend's wedding next year, and I'm also saving some for my own wedding...whenever that will happen.
  9. The Bruery 12 days of Christmas vert...
    Well at least what has been released so far.
    Have one bottle of 2008 I beleive Alaskan Smoked Porter put back....
  10. 2011 and 2012 Saison-Brett so far. I've got a variety of different 2012 bottles I'm saving for verticals but nothing too impressive
    YogiBeer likes this.
  11. About two years ago, I found a 2008 Ten Fidy in the back of fridge.

I've left it there - and I keep trying to forget I have it.

I really want to see how it holds up in the can.
  12. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

My only aging beer is 2011 samiclaus. basically because it sounds from the reviews as if it would be terribly unpleasant w/o several years of age on it. everything else goes down the hatch or given to a beer friend w/in a few months.
  13. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

60th anniversary St Bernardus
    Westy 12
    4pk of WWS
    Case of various aged Expeditions
    And the standard bunch-o-bigfoot
  14. my cellar is limited to a few dozen bottles and i really don't consider any of them (with the exception of my bigfoot vertical, and in this case just for that reason) untouchable. they're all just waiting for the right drinking occasion. (which is just as likely to be a random sunday night as it is to be a birthday or other event of significance.)
    Fluteswell likes this.
  15. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

I drank the last of my 2009 BCBS when the last bottle hit its third birthday and I definitely don't regret that but wish I had more. It was always sitting on the shelf at the store I used to frequent and I was able to buy it in the fall of 2010 but something magical happened in the short time frame after and all of the sudden it became cool and people bought the 2010 and 2011 in no time. Now, of course, NH doesn't get the new stuff either because it's ABV is too high... oh well.

Currently I have some pretty basic stuff I'm not touching just because I want to know what age does. I love Ten FIDY with a year on it but I'm working on a bit of a vertical as well to see 3-5 years. Same thing with Bigfoot. Anything special I get makes it down into my belly pretty quickly because after all, thats where it's meant to be.
  16. Yeah - many beers worth aging have an awkward phase. It takes time for the flavors to meld and mature into something beautiful and complex. If you drink a beer well after it is fresh but before "the magic" has happened, you can often just get a bland/boring representation of the real thing - the hops and those intense fresh flavors are gone, but the complexities of age haven't come out yet.

Now, that said, most barrel aged beers are better off fresh. But, I've found BA barleywines tend to age much better than stouts and other types of barrel aged beers. Net-net I'm excited to try a 2011 Abacus sometime later this year to see where it is at...

Standard disclaimer: A lot of it comes down to personal taste.
  17. Vienna's finest: 1529 Herzwesten Dark.
  18. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

They say to drink Sucaba fresh because Firestone walker says to drink it fresh.

I have a bottle of Cherry Bourbon Big Eddy that I'm opening next christmas with the guy who made it. :) SO PUMPED.
  19. My last magnum of this bad boy. 2006 Budweiser Brew Masters Reserve.

[​IMG]
    match1112 likes this.
  20. brian4beer

brian4beer Savant (330) Indiana Jan 27, 2013

Such a funny thread. I too have beer that I am holding onto in my cellar and really have no idea what future scenario will bring me to drink it. It is as if I am saving it for this really special occasion that I don't even know what it is or when it is. Makes me laugh at myself a bit as it is only beer but I treat with such high regard at times. The rest I just drink at will but for some reasons certain bottles are "different."
  21. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

The only long term aging is Westvleteren VII that I got about in October from my new friend in Belgium. Had a six, drank one the day it came and another on my bf's birthday. Taking one to MBG winter beerfest for a pre-festival toast with my friends, but the others are being tucked back. I've started short-term hoarding my favorite seasonals to periodically enjoy until their release rolls around again.
  22. The only beers I really have in my cellar that I don't want to touch yet are some bottles of:

2010 DFH 120 Minute
    2010 DFH WWS

I keep hearing these are crazy good with 5+ years on them, so I plan to test that out.

Other than that, everything is fair game.
  23. Thanks for that. I got two 2012s for Christmas. I had a two-year old WWS and thought it was pretty good. Now I'll have something to look forward to someday when I've completely forgotten about them.
  24. I love that beer fresh, but I've had the good fortune to have 2 or 3 bottles at 5+ years and it's soo smooth, it's really amazing. Hold out, brother!
    sjverla likes this.
  25. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (570) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I have 2 x 12oz bottle of Three Guys Off the Scale Barleywine (2012). My buddy opened his bottle a few months ago and it drinks like a port. I plan on opening the next in 2017 and making a deterination for the other at that time.

Also plan on sitting on a few bottles of Founders Backwoods Bastard, Bells Third Coast, and Big Foot for 5 year verticals.
  26. Gotti311

We are cracking a 2012 Utopias the end of next month.

What are you thoughts on Murda'd? We were thinking next winter. Would hate for that one to slide past its prime.
  27. I'd attend a seminar at an airport Holiday Inn if he gave one.
    Brunite likes this.
  28. I've got a few of those. efil-4 edanomel 46 rellim
  29. Armand 4', Lou Pepe Gueuzes 2007, Churchills finest hour 2012 and BCBVS. No idea when I will open these.
  30. Armand Series
    A&T
    750 Cantillon Classic 09 (great vintage imo)
    07 Expedition (waiting for the 10 year mark)
    Midnight Sun 3K
    SNR 2010

A bunch of miscellaneous stuff from 08 that I intend on opening for various wedding anniversaries (Rose, Classic, Chimay blue's, Thomas Hardy's, etc).
  31. DrGonzoDDS

DrGonzoDDS Savant (275) Illinois Mar 7, 2010

I have no Idea, the idea of that beer alone makes my head spin. Can it be better than its parts? It should age well, but I wouldn't wait longer than 2 years myself just in case.
  32. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

What are you doing in this forum then?

My handful of "do not touch" beers are all earmarked for specific occasions: 2002 JW Lees and OGV to share with my daughter when she's 21; Bruery xmas beers for whatever year that wraps up (2020?); Stone Vertical Epics until I can schedule a damn day with enough people to pop them all :rolleyes:.
  33. Gotti311

I had a 6 year old Sami this winter. SOOOOOOOOO good! Like brandy without the heat
    loafinaround likes this.
  34. Key words, of course, being "my closet"
  35. Bell's Batch 7000 and BCBS from '06, '08-'12
  36. yeah this is similar to my old approach, just holding on to them for some vague, future special occasion that never really materialized. i think you need more of a clear objective. (i.e. let's see how this beer changes over the course of 2-4 years.) for those gems you're just waiting on the right occasion to open, my opinion is don't overthink it. "special occasions" tend to be congested with enough hoopla on their own. sort of what i was getting at in an earlier post - sometimes just a random night with nothing going on is the perfect time to open something great. then the beer is the focal point, without distractions.
    BoUrBoNbArReL and brian4beer like this.
  37. RStang13

RStang13 Savant (280) New Jersey Jun 22, 2011

The only beer in the "don't touch" section in my cellar are there with the restriction of "without friends"
    I dip into my cellar all the time, but certain beers I feel are meant to be enjoyed with company.
    When my buddies come over, they can pick whatever they wanna try. They appreciate it (at least I hope!)
    They always bring beer over with them, but we always end up two or three bottles deep from the cellar
    BostonHops likes this.
  38. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

I am sitting on 2 bottles of Hair of the Dog - Dave. Not sure when I will open them.