1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do shipping costs vary by location?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by atoulouk, Jan 29, 2013.

1. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I am in the middle of a trade with someone in San Diego, I live in Indiana. We both sent our boxes out yesterday, and the weights were within 1 pound of each other (the box I sent was 14lbs, his was 15). We both used FedEx ground and sent to business addresses, however, he messaged me today saying that it cost him $45 to ship the box, and it only cost me $15.

Why the huge discrepancy in shipping cost? Does FedEx charge more to people who are shipping from more expensive areas of the company because everything else costs more. That's my only thought. Could there just be a mistake on FedEx's part?

2. he must have not used fedex ground because that is way too much in price
    he probably used 2 day delivery
    fed ex ground will take about 5 business days so just look up the tracking number and see when it is going to arrive
    most likely he shipped a more expensive way and you will get the package quicker that is on him he should have asked for the cheapest shipping method when he went into fed ex

3. atoulouk

Both arrival dates are the same. Ship Monday, receive Friday.

4. there must be some sort of reason he was charged so much
    i ship lot of boxes and that doesnt sound anything with the right realm

5. If the box's dimensions are too large, the price may have been based on dimensional weight instead of the 15 lbs of actual weight.

6. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (315) New York May 24, 2012

What was the box size? Did he require a signature? From someone over 21? These things all contribute to the cost. I shipped a box from Buffalo, NY to CA that was 32 lbs and it cost me $44 if that helps put things into perspective.

7. atoulouk

I don't know those specifics. I know all those things are factors but 3X the cost just seemed odd.

8. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

He's making that up so that you feel guilty and send him more beer.

claaark13 likes this.
  9. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

$15 from Indiana to Cali? No way. I need to see a receipt. You can barely send a Fed-Ex envelope to California from Indiana for $15.

Retail1LO likes this.
  10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Hell one time I sent a 1"X1"X1" box that weighed 0.1 pounds and I think it was $22.35.

11. atoulouk

Sorry. $15.69 to be exact. Looking at the receipt right now. Honestly, I expected it to be higher.

12. He screwed up and upgraded to a faster option. The cost would be much closer to $15 than $45.

13. I have been shipping to places all over the midwest recently from San Diego. My costs are always $15-$22 for packages in the +/- 20 lbs range.

14. Sounds like he might have taken it to a third party FedEx location and used some sort of expedited option. The third party stores charge extra fees to tender at their locations. FedEx.com is your friend.

$45 is way to much for a 15 pound box unless he filled a refrigerator box with packing peanuts and your beers.

15. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Yeah, until you get into the +12-bottle-shipper sizes, the general rule of thumb is ~$1/lb, $10 minimum. Sounds like someone with slippery fingers clicked the add insurance, adult signature, help prevent the clubbing of baby seals and the carbon offsetting options.

Retail1LO and atoulouk like this.
  16. I just sent a 10lb. box yesterday via FedEx Home Delivery from MD to CA for $15.69 using my online account.

In all seriousness, do you trust this person not to jerk you around for more beer due to the higher shipping cost? Use the tracking number to see the details and see if he chose an option that would increase the price. If not, call FedEx and tell them you need to send someone a check to cover shipping for something they sent you. Give them the tracking number and they'll tell you how much was paid. I'd wait until the box gets to you to do this.

On the other hand, if he's not squeezing you for more beer to make up the difference, there's no need to look into it and it becomes one more thing that makes you go hmmm.

17. This. I bet his box was tendered at a third party mailing and copying location. They always use their little tricks to screw unsuspecting people. They'll ask if you want it guaranteed to arrive by a certain time. When you say yes, they hook you with the more expensive service. They usually can't "guarantee" there on the spot that a shipment going ground will arrive by a certain day. Once they lube you up there, they hit you with their own service fees. They get my MiL every Christmas. Never fails. /rant

18. Allsmoke

Allsmoke Aficionado (175) Virginia Aug 11, 2007

I just shipped a 14.2 lb box to San Diego from the DC area, and I think it was around $24. $45 seems very high

19. Did he get billed for multiple shipments at once?

20. atoulouk

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything shady at all. He said it was no big deal but I wondered on is part if maybe it had happened to someone else and FedEx made a mistake. He said he did go to a 3rd party shipper. Looks like they really tack on the surcharge at that place!

21. Third party shipping stores can (and will) charge whatever the hell they feel like.

I routinely have 35 pound Bruery boxes going full coast-to-coast travel for less than $45...

Don't ever ship without an online account. Lesson learned...

22. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

If you live in the woods they add a surcharge. I got hit for $6 location charge and a fuel surcharge sending a box to IN a couple weeks ago.

23. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I trustee for a lot of people for the Bruery RS, I send out 36lbs boxes all of the time, including IL and OH, and the cost is always right around $40. The other trader messed up, not your fault and not your responsibility on how much shipping cost for him since it was an even weight trade. Maybe the trader sent multiple boxes and got his tracking numbers crossed up?