1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Do they still make Bud Light Party Balls?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheWiZarD4, Aug 7, 2012.

1. TheWiZarD4

TheWiZarD4 Zealot (75) New Jersey Apr 6, 2008

It's been a long time I know but I was wondering if I can get one somewhere....kind of having a flashback weekend and would be an EPIC surprise.

raymo55 likes this.
  2. Supposedly they were discontinued last year, according to this post.

3. TheWiZarD4

Oh wow....I haven't heard of a sighting in a few year but that's so sad that they are officially discontinued.

4. Didnt Coors light have one of those also?

5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

You will have to get yourself a $50 draftmark dispenser if you want to drink InBev from a plastic two-liter bottle.

LaneMeyer and FTowne like this.
  6. morimech

morimech Advocate (720) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I thought Coors were first with the party ball. I remember drinking some Coors varient in those in the early 90s.

7. Spoetzl, Hudepohl and F. X. Matt all had beer balls on the market in the early '80's- can't recall now which brewer first used them but I think it was one of the latter two.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

What's the difference in the party ball and the home draft thing they sold recently for Coors/Miller?

9. The Beer Ball was true draught beer (i.e., unpasteurized), was 1/6 of a barrel and required its own reusable "picnic" style tap which was purchased separately.

[​IMG]

Chaz likes this.
  10. so the question is, what is the difference between a party ball and the plastic, recyclable kegs some imports are send over in?

11. dennho

dennho Savant (355) New York Oct 29, 2006

I volunteered at The Festival in Worcester and I noticed a lot of the brewers brought their beer in things that looked like beer balls.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  12. Don't the new disposable kegs some European brewers are using have an inner bladder, so that when air is pumped into them the bladder inflates, forcing the beer out the tap but the beer itself is not exposed to oxygen? That'd be a major difference, given the inferiority of the "picnic" tap.

The other difference, I'd guess, is that they don't cost $15-20 the way a beer ball of Matt's Premium did in 1985. ;)

13. My rep in MA told me they had a bunch sitting around their warehouse but were no longer making them. Your local bottle shop may be able to order one.

14. The last time I drank a party ball was after seeing dazed&confused on the big screen....Christ I'm old

guyforget, ChanChan, AJDePaul and 4 others like this.
  15. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

We use to wheel a buddy into the movie theater in a wheelchair and a party ball on his lap under a blanket. Kept me awake while watching a boring ass Star Wars movie!

Yep...I said it

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. bum732

bum732 Advocate (650) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

The good thing is, as you get older, the girls stay the same age.

17. Oh no, you di-unt!

18. Did you tell the theater staff he was pregnant with sextuplets?

19. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Advocate (510) California Nov 10, 2007

Not to hijack your thread, but I need one too. Looking for an '06 to complete a 10-year vertical (I missed that one while I was in rehab).

20. Gotta look, or maybe I don't, I've got at least two "pumps" for those things around somewhere.

21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I had a Coors party ball when my daughter had a B Day party. Retro, but liked it then.

22. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

Yep, they are called key kegs. Not sure if the technology is the same...but they are round..with a bladder ...and disposable.

23. drink straight from the ball

24. An A-B house would really sell a nearly 8 month old* draught beer to a retailer? Isn't A-B's recommended shelf life for unpasteurized kegs (which their beer balls were) still in the 50 day range? (Even their bottled domestic beers have pull dates of 4-6 months.) Selling or even just having old beer in stock used to be grounds to lose an A-B distributorship.

* If that post I linked to above is correct that A-B​
    dropped beer balls in the 4th quarter of 2011.​

25. Cashing a Coors Party Ball then using it like a beach ball... ahhh the memories.

26. Tap?, we didn't need no stinkin' tap... Me and my fellow underaged friends drank plenty of Matt's beer balls in high school and we just cut the top out with a sharp knife and dipped our cups in. Best part was spraying the first timers with beer who excitedly stood near the beer ball when you first jabbed it with the knife.

27. I remember using an empty one as a volleyball while camping then taking the hard plastic bottom part right off my wrist bone about 10 years ago.

28. I have never heard nor seen this you speak of before? Is this a regional specific thing?

29. The tap goes in the holes on top.
    [​IMG]

drperry11 likes this.
  30. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (280) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

In high school, we regularly drank beer balls. They were still listed in the beverage book of MA until a few months ago. The best part was at the end of the night, cutting it open and drinking out of the ball. I feel like this was mostly a northeast thing, every time i bring it up, people not from around here look at me like im a weirdo

31. I've got one sitting in a dark corner of the basement in my store. Don't know how long it's been there, don't care. I may have to open it amongst friends and see what happens. I don't think Bud is going to take it back.

32. This is obviously a East coast thing (judging also from who's posting). I am 31 and have never seen or heard of anything like that before in IL.

33. Coming from (I think) the largest beer ball account in MA, they were indeed discontinued. However, retailers were upset because we were stuck with old taps and paraphernalia, so I was told they made another batch to allow us to sell out of that stuff. So yeah, they're still around in MA if you look. But they'll be gone soon.

34. Chaz

Chaz Champion (855) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

It might also be a matter of individual markets: Until very recently, 'Party Balls' were also available in Minneapolis.

35. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (295) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

They had party balls in Chicago... 90's era. I heard that they discontinued them because of people playing soccer and such with them and getting hurt... (see JNorton's post above). That could be a myth though...

36. I recall talk of them being banned in Massachusetts for a while due to it being easy for minors to transport a decent amount of alcohol easily. Not sure if there's any truth to that though.

37. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (295) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

"Party Ball Urban Legends" - New thread?

LostTraveler and Jnorton00 like this.
  38. TheWiZarD4

crazy thread I started. I'm from NJ and we drank party balls in highschool but haven't really seen them past 2002. My sister bought one a few years back in MA like people are stating though.

39. I've been jonesing for a Coors Party Ball all day now. Thanks for nothing OP.

40. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

You're too young. I am from Illinois and I am 38. These things used to be at parties all the time when I was in high school. So late 80's/early 90's. I didn't see them much after that.