1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do we forget it's just beer sometimes?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LiquidCourage, Jan 12, 2013.

1. All kidding aside, do we forget its just beer sometimes?

I mean really? I've driven 7 hours round trip to get heady topper, I've been to westvleteren, I've traded online, I've horded (and am hording) etc... The sole pupose of beer is to make us happy. Does that get lost at some point?
  2. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

You my friend...are very persistent.
  3. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

The sole purpose is to make us happy. Obviously you got enjoyment out of that 7 hour trip so to you it was worth it. That's happiness. If you didn't get enjoyment out of it you wouldn't do it. For some people picking up any beer at their local shop is enjoying and for some others it's seeking out walez. Neither is more right if each person enjoys what they are doing.
    albertq17, YogiBeer, dsal89 and 5 others like this.
  4. This has been like a duck, duck, goose of threads. Ridiculous, ridiculous, actual question that could've been posed before the preceding two threads made it seem odd.
    ant880 likes this.
  5. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

If its worth doing, it worth doing right.

Cheers!
    kojevergas and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Is it possible to take something you enjoy too serious? I love beer, and brewing. I spend what little free time I have reading about, thinking about, and enjoying beer. If I didn't take it serious i'd be drinking bmc, and so would you I imagine.
    Genuine and BeerKangaroo like this.
  7. Well, if you drink enough of it, you just might...
    Hoppenheimer likes this.
  8. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Very Very Good Point. I love my beer. I drive everywhere to try it, I brew it, I judge it all over the place, I get asked to consult with breweries, and I get paid to write about it and give talks about it. In short, I take it as seriously as anyone.

But, I have to admit, part of what I love so much about it is that, for the most part, it is the ultimately approachable everyman's drink, the basic social lubricant the world over. It's very pedestrian nature is part of what makes it so special. It's not the drink of Kings. It's the drink of Everyone. I am quite sure I have made more friends, and opened more conversations with strangers over a beer, than everything else combined. It has made me happy, alright. My relationship with beer is sometimes work, but it is always a labor of love.
    YogiBeer, Beezee, JRBaartman and 8 others like this.
  9. Reading some reviews and responses in some of the threads on BA it is my belief that some individuals take it a little too seriously, and forget it is just beer.
    There isn't necessarily anything wrong with taking it seriously; however the problem I find from time to time is the holier than thou attitude that comes across in some of the posts to others that are here for the same reason, to enjoy beer and learn more about enjoying it.
    rocdoc1, jimcivis, ford0626 and 3 others like this.
  10. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

It's not just beer. It's the chase to get something that is limited, to try something that very few people can get,oto taste something new. And then tomorrow, get up and do it again. Some people have to be the first to see a new play or get the first of a new car. WE LOVE BEER!
    searsclone and szmnnl99 like this.
  11. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Funny how alcohol makes some folks go from being all boisterous and tough to all weepy and introspective.
  12. Yes, we all forget and we all go crazy about it... thats why we post here.

Many of my posts are in jest, but I think sometimes we forget on this website that we are just talking about a beautiful liquid known as beer. Bottom line.. Drink and have fun! Enjoy BA!
  13. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Beer runs are like mini-vacations.... especially the long crazy ones. There are restaurant trips, crazy outings... it's really just masquerading as "only beer". It's a series of social events.
    DubbelTrubbel likes this.
  14. Just beer???? That is blasphemy!
    2beerdogs, cavedave and Zimbo like this.
  15. I like driving long distances, I just can't do it without a destination. Beer I can't buy in my area is a good enought destination for me. The beer is just a kicker.
  16. I'd drive to Vermont if it wasn't the same distance as Florida to me. hmm... Heady Topper or Sun, Babes and Cigar City brewery. Seriously tough decision!
  17. Happiness & obsessing go hand in hand. There is no paradox. Apart from at BrewDog.
    cavedave likes this.
  18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

There is nothing wrong with obsessively seeking an enjoyment that likely is at its peak ability to be enjoyed. I can look back at other things in my life which could have been enjoyed more and better if I would have been more obsessed with enjoying them. I think my obsessiveness about fine beer is equal to the pleasure it gives me, and is a reasonable response to the likelihood beer quality and availability will not be this fine always.
    2beerdogs and dvelcich like this.
  19. I visited "Just Beer" recently. The name is a lie, they serve pork scratchings and crisps (what for some reason our friends over the pond call chips but we all know that chips is the correct word for fries :) ) as well.
    http://www.justbeermicropub.biz/
    JxExM likes this.
  20. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

We are nerds about this,for sure,some people are the same about bbq sauce,chocolates,antiques,etc. It probaly does say something about our lives that expensive beer is such an obsession.Maybe its as Jimmy Kimmel says,Thanks Microbrewers ,for making our alcoholism seem like a cool hobby
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  21. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Exactly, if you're thinking TOO much, TOO deeply about it...you're doing it wrong. Drink and have fun! Welcome to the peanut gallery...
  22. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Just Beer?
    I don't understand the question.
  23. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Yeah, I think about this once in a while. Sometimes I wish it was "just beer" and I could be happy with not worrying/thinking about beer all the time...especially now that it's my job.
  24. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

25. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

"Just Beer" would imply that it's a product not worthy of our interest, or at least not enough to write about, read about, discuss, compare, search for even better beer... It pretty much wouldn't be all of the things that keep our interest levels high. If beer were no big deal, then it wouldn't be worth it; it would be "JUST BEER." But it isn't; it rocks - long live beer!
    Photekut likes this.
  26. Gotta admit, it does at times seem that every review on this website is for beer, and the topic comes up in almost every thread in the forums.
  27. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

The way some us promote breweries, we should be on their payrolls. (It's a collective statement. No need to sequester.)
    2beerdogs and BeerKangaroo like this.
  28. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I think there a lot of people who take beer way too seriously and are very uptight about it (not referring to people who actually make a living brewing beer which is a different story).

That said, do what you makes you happy. Life, by and large is one big pain in the ass: 8 hour work day we're forced into, illnesses, family problems, traffic, stress, loss of youth, etc. If obsessing over beer is what does it for you, then for fucks sake do it.
    creepinjeeper and BeerKangaroo like this.
  29. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

There are far too many fine, fine brews for me to be able to agree that it's "just beer," but I will readily assent to the notion that it's "just alcoholism."

Cheers!
  30. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Exactly.

If it was "just beer" this site would not exist.

There are plenty of BMC drinkers that I would think better fit into the "it's just beer" category.

Hobbies should be things you are passionate about.
    fox227, Eastside151 and creepinjeeper like this.
  31. No one forgets that it's beer. The people on this site just put beer on a pedestal because of the enjoyment they derive from everything beer (people, places, travel, whale hunting, etc...). Let me say that there's nothing wrong with being passionate about beer, provided you can talk about non-beer related things too.

And just like "tickers gonna tick," hoarders gonna hoard no matter if it's newspapers, old movies, toothbrushes, or beer, so feel free to disregard all threads containing the phrases: scared to drink, can't choose which beer, and the like.
    Zimbo, 2beerdogs and creepinjeeper like this.
  32. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

I, for one, am very cognizant that it is beer...Except for the rare times where I have too much, then I'm not very cognizant at all, just very, very happy. Mmmmmm, Nectar of the Gods.;)
  33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Preach on Brother!
  34. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

I personally think no beer is worth driving across country or camping out for, but that's just me. If that's the way you want to spend your time and money, go for it. Although I have to believe that kind of thing is a sure recipe for a pissed off wife.
  35. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

It is just BEER, meant to be shared with friends, enjoyed in good times and bad. It took me awhile to realize the beer I was hoarding in my cellar was far better being cracked with good friends and family, even those that aren't into craft brew have been turned onto the amazing tastes available out there. I would have never had the opportunity to drink some truly great brews without the trading community on this site. Thanks for sharing!!:)
    cavedave likes this.
  36. I hate beer
    ehammond1 likes this.
  37. taking beer seriously pays my bills, so from time to time i have to be very serious about it when im doing public or private tastings, or helping people pick out brews off the wall. A lot of times stress builds up but i do just sit back and say to my self,"its just beer, dont worry" if i didnt id be a pretentious dick and probably end up just being a ticker
  38. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

It is no different than any other "hobby" that someone enjoys and will go out their way to expand on. We travel all over for my daughters to dance in competitions for what they enjoy. Or the fact my son had to endure a 8hr each way car ride for a bowling tournament. Our love of good great beer is what drives many of us to go out of our way for it. I personally enjoy visiting different shops looking for something new to try, excited to do some brewery tours (which I haven't yet done), and educate others on what they may be missing. As has been stated, I have started many conversations and had the opportunity to meet interesting people over the topic of craft beer. Plus it is way cooler than collecting stamps!

*disclaimer* No offense to stamp collectors who are craft beer lovers.
  39. I drove five hours round trip to New Glarus and it was great for the beer but also for the destination and the drive.