1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you believe in Beer Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Geuzedad, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (465) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Just read an interesting piece by Ben and Malia, owners of The Birch in Norfolk VA. They asked the question "Is beer hype ruining the beer drinking experience?" They quoted a story by Heather Vandenengel which compares the hyping of food to the same thing that seems to be happening with Craft beer (check out the Bells Hopslam forum) To put it directly, how many times have you had a beer hyped up to you that you couldn't wait to try, only to have the beer be a real let down to your palate, and perhaps even ruining your experience? One that stands out in my mind was 2011 Friek. I was dying to try it, having some friends tell me it was over the top, only to say "ehh" when I had it on tap. Not that it was a bad beer in any way, it was that I was expecting so much more and did not get it, basically ruining my evening when there were so many other great beers that night on tap I could have enjoyed.

2. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Of course it exists. It goes hand in hand when people say "X beer was better Y years ago."

Bung and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. No, it is not, except for a very deluded very vocal very tiny part of the beer community.

Protip: the line between a solid, everyday, tasty brew and the 'OMG Stuff Of Legends' beer you hear people rave about is often blurred. There's only so far upwards the 'Awesome' taste scale can go.

Ranbot, Stockfan42, Rutager and 6 others like this.
  4. brewfly

brewfly Zealot (75) New York Dec 13, 2012

Had the same letdown with sierra nevada narwhal. Wasn't a bad beer but not what i hoped for.

ESeab likes this.
  5. not to worry - beer hype is real, and it believes in you.

6. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Make no mistake, it is very real.

Tastes good too.

BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Hype with in BA is simply more conversation than one thinks is warranted. We drink beer, we discuss it but we better not discuss it too much or else we're hyping it.

You know what hype is? It is a product of lacking common sense and unrealistic expectation with in the community. This should only effect the individual who buys into that mindset. I think it is foolish but if other people choose to buy in it does not impact my enjoyment of beer. If one believes that hype is ruining beer then they are probably buying into it a bit more than they are willing to admit.

8. CLively

CLively Aficionado (175) Maine Feb 8, 2011

It seems to have served the community somewhat well thus far. When something is hyped and it doesn't live up to expectations, its gets called out pretty quickly. But then again, its good to here people rave about high quality brews too, and helps us all source out the good stuff. Just listen to the hype from the more knowledgeable folks, they'll steer you in the right direction. And concerning the OP's example of Hopslam, even when its not as great as a previous batch its still an excellent beer, and some people forget that. Shogo said it best, awesome tastes only can get so far on the awesome meter.....just like good weed.

Geuzedad likes this.
  9. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

At least the hype is good for getting some likes on the post a picture of your latest haul thread. The only time the hype experience is truly rewarding is when you actually hunt down the beer. I think there is something to be said for that, and the slight feeling of pride when you score a bottle you've been hunting. Once it's in the glass though, you gotta keep your expectations in check and enjoy the beer for what it is in that moment, not the experience leading up to it.

gcamparone, CLively and Geuzedad like this.
  10. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Hype tastes goid but not as good as the flavor we know as "rare"

11. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

mostly what i see called hype is general excitement, buzz and chatter about a beer... from beer enthusiasts.. hype would be something from people vested in the beer.

12. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

This is something about this community I will never get. It's always going to taste like beer and while that taste can vary wildy how can you honestly get so excited and have such high expectations for a beer that when you finally have it your disappointed?! I think rather than blame people being enthusiastic after having a beer and talking about how good it was, I blame the people who expect the same results for themselves and have unrealistic expectaions for the negativity surrounding the hype.

tjensen3618 and Geuzedad like this.
  13. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

I missed the hype with Narwhal as a newer reader of these boards and I loved Narwhal. Had to guy right back out to buy another 4-pack as I knew there weren't many in the shelf the last time I had gone to the store.

14. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

how about the other end of the spectrum where a beer is not worth the hype yet people still buy into the hype and go nuts for it?

like hopslam or 120, for instance....

15. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Wow, THAT ruined your evening? I hope that you don't have to endure reality, you may not make it.

16. jRocco2021

Did anyone else think of that Loving Spoonful song when they read the title of this thread? except with different lyrics "Do you believe in magic, in a young BA's heart? and how we can crush it, whenever it starts. Ooooh with beer hype."

Geuzedad and WoodburyMN like this.
  17. I agree with this. When I first got into craft beer hype ruined a beer or two for me. After that I realized that my expectations should be more reasonable. If I drink a BCBS it's not likely that another hyped beer will be that much better, minus subjective tastes.

Bung likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Dude you just blew my mind, I was like cool this guy knows Ben and Malia, then I looked at your profile and saw you're from AZ.....did you used to live here?

And hell yeah hype sucks, it can make your expectations unrealistic and it can make some people like a beer more than they normally would because they think, if everyone else loves this...why don't I?

Geuzedad likes this.
  19. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I believe in it. However, my taste seems to be so oddball that I don't ever expect to like a beer based on what other people like. My hubby is pretty spot on for hype though. If it's hyped and not put in a barrel, he tends to like it.

Geuzedad likes this.
  20. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Believing in something and the validity of it's existence aren't related.

frazbri, Andygirl and Providence like this.
  21. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I try my best to wash the Hype away before I try a beer for the first time.

Then sip and enjoy?
    ( at least I give it a shot )

Geuzedad likes this.
  22. I have had a few beers that didn't live up to their accolades, but usually (90 something % of the time) I'm only disappointed when the price tag is high, otherwise I kind of shrug it off.

23. Sadly and quite despicably, yes. Yes I did.

Geuzedad, jRocco2021 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  24. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Well I haven't had BCBS or KBS or Hopslam or Heady Topper or a lot of those that people rave about all the time here but I'm pretty sure when I do they will make me sprout wings and fly up to the heavens. They will, won't they?

25. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Well my feelings about it are simple: while I may not indulge in beer hype, I know many are passionate about getting the beer they love and this is maybe a gateway to hype.

An example is I have no plans of trying a Heady Topper, which I am very sure is very yummy, but the fact is for me I love to drink the unknown or unpopular or whatever I may enjoy. Hmm, maybe I am rebelling the status quo and this is my take on the craft beer in my life.

26. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Hell yes it exists.

Yes it can ruin the experience.

There's enormous amounts of inflating value of things in craft beer. Rarity is just one aspect. The "buy local" fad is another, where otherwise mediocre stuff suddenly gains a crowd of supporters like a sucky sports team (and who won't give up on the team, no matter what the evidence). :)

Geuzedad likes this.
  27. So if I offer to send you a fresh Heady, you don't want it?

bigherb713 likes this.
  28. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

You haven't suffered true hype letdown until you accuse someone of "raping your childhood."

JulianB likes this.
  29. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

How Hipster of you....

30. Giovanni is no hipster.
    He is more of a renaisance man. An Italian free spirit

Giovannilucano likes this.
  31. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I would kindly say no....for now heheh :D

32. mscudder

mscudder Savant (265) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Beer is good, yet hype can depict the flavor. Enjoying beer blind to extraneous critique yields the most fruitful results!

33. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

or PtE

34. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

and they will satisfy you every night and will make your breakfast. it might even start your car and scrape your windows

35. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I disagree wholeheartedly. It's perfectly normal for people to hype up food, drink, music, TV shows, etc. Sometimes, you'll agree. Other times, you may disagree, and perhaps you'll be "disappointed." This seems pretty common and reasonable to me.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  36. jRocco2021

I'm not sure I get what your trying to say.

37. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

"Hype" tastes a whole lot better when you don't expect so much of it.

38. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

This happens all the time, and not just with beer. Your shock -- at someone having high expectations and then being disappointed if they aren't met -- is very curious to me, as I see it as a normal and commonplace reaction.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  39. jRocco2021

Oh I see sorry I've been drinking :D my bad. I agree I've had my expectations met, exceeded, and missed before with lots of varying things bands albums, restaurants etc. but those are my own personal expectations I formed from from my own experiences which I think is different than what we are discussing. My shock was directed at people who use the opinions and experiences of others to form their expectations and being surprised when they don't have the same opinion or experience.

EDIT: E.g. "I just had heady Topper and that s**t sucked. Everyone said how good it was. Don't believe the hype."

510a likes this.