Do you believe in Beer Hype?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Geuzedad, Feb 6, 2013.

1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Something must be wrong with our brains.

Providence likes this.
  2. Hype can be a positive thing and much less expensive than traditional marketing.

3. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (400) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

Without hype, there can be no disappointment.

4. It is ruining it from a price perspective. And a "camping overnight' perspective.

I've had better homebrew

5. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

I agree, you like what YOU like , not what others HYPE. You may be influenced to obtain a brand because of hype , but you should not have unrealistic expectations to the point of having the experience ruined. Beer is what it is, you like what tastes good to you. If it was not easily obtained or expensive or both, then the tendency will be to dispute the hype. I just cross it off the list and say bring on the next, it just might be my new favorite.

jRocco2021 and CORKSCREWFISH like this.
  6. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

^this.

and

One thing I dont get, that ties into the "hype", is when people that dont like a certain style go running out to get the new "flavor of the month" just because everybody is talking about it. Just because 90% of the palates love (or at least rave about loving) a certain beer, doesnt mean its going to blow everyone away. These people are definitely going to get letdown. The last 3 years, ive seen bottle after bottle of Abyss on the shelf, I dont bother to pick it up. After the first 3 times trying it(my brother keeps wanting me to like it), I realized I cant appreciate it for what it is, so why take it off the shelves from everyone else that likes it.

jRocco2021 and JulianB like this.
  7. Obviously we all believe in beer hype. After all we all log on to a website dedicated to beer, daily.

8. Damn you Michael Bay! *shakes fist*

On the topic of this thread, "hype" certainly exists at least in the sense of raising one's expectations and causing one to seek out beers that would otherwise be hard to get. If a beer receiving enthusiastic word of mouth and great reviews is part of what constitutes hype, then I've certainly gone out and made traded for beers for this reason. And rather than be let down, several of these beers (Zombie Dust, Everett, Abrasive) have actually met or even exceeded my expectations.

9. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Well it was the buildup bro! I had been looking forward to the release and it was a total letdown! Since then I have become a much more "realistic expectations" kind of guy and stopped buying into the hype. As I stated in the piece, I needed to realize that the evening would have been great anyway if I had taken advantage of what I realized were the other great offerings available to me that night. Now that is exactly what I do. I approach the experience with a much more open mind and try not to buy into the hype but enjoy the overall experience for what it is.

10. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Yeah just moved here in August of last year. Ben and Malia are two really cool people who happen to own one sweet little bar in Norfolk. I really miss spending time there. They were great, cared about their customers, and served up some really great beers and conversations.

Hanzo likes this.
  11. jeremiahoden

jeremiahoden Savant (285) Indiana Apr 4, 2012

12. jeremiahoden

jeremiahoden Savant (285) Indiana Apr 4, 2012

13. No only do I not believe in beer hype, I don't believe in any other kind of hype. I make up my own mind. Of course, I do seek out certain seasonal beers and can't wait to get my hands on them but as far as going far out of my way to get a particular beer just because it's been hyped to death, forget it.

14. hmm. does hyping - "hype", help or hurt?

15. I don't get it. Hype seems to be community driven, whether on these forums or elsewhere. How often do you see commercials for rare releases? Why all the hate for hype? If you don't like it, shut it out and don't visit the forums where you know it'll pop up.

If this is enough to ruin the experience, you may be trying too hard. Reset your expectations. Presumably we all take beer seriously, but you can't really expect whatever rare/limited/special beer to change your life.

A wonderful beer experience for me is all about it occuring unexpectedly. Think about great experiences you've had with beer involved. Was the beer the only factor? Or were there other intangibles?

16. It exists and a lot of people buy into it - see Bolt Cutter.

17. I'd say hype adds about 0.75 points to the average BA beer rating.

18. Absolut

Absolut Savant (435) California Sep 19, 2011

beers i have gone out of my way to get due to the hype train:
    zombie dust
    HT
    Night Stalker (2011 i believe)
    Dark Lord 2009
    enjoy by
    Abyss 2012

was blown away by all of them, with the exception of the 09 dark lord. I thought that was very good, but a notch below parabola. Now, i have read that the 09 dark lord was not the top of the line. A lot of it depends on who is doing the hyping and how similar their tastes are to yours.