1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you call yourself a beer geek?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Mar 7, 2013.

1. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (820) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

This morning at breakfast my waitress (an older woman) told me about her trip to Louisiana. She told me she went tothat the Abita Brewery and asked if I have ever heard of it. I said yes and she wondered how. I told her with no hesitation that I am a "Beer Geek". I don't like referring to myself as a geek but with beer im proud to.

2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Absolutely not. I also dislike the term "craft beer." I don't know what else to call it, but "craft beer" just comes off as snobby to me

beerme411, Dan114, KWMiles and 2 others like this.
  3. i know i geek out about beer way more than the average person, so if the shoe fits...

4. I don't like that we have to call it anything other than just beer. Craft, specialty, micro, nano, macro, etc. It's beer.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Yup. Happily so.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I'm an Aleficionado

7. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Resistance is futile, you will assimilate.

Boomblaze likes this.
  8. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'm just a guy who likes beer.

9. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I prefer "beer nut." It implies lunacy, and the lunatic always has the upper hand.

10. I just like better beer.

Mercury4040, Lantern and BeerKangaroo like this.
  11. djrn2

What would you have said in that situation without sounding like a snob, tool or alcoholic?

12. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I never use "craft beer" unless it comes to the point in the conversation that I have to use it or "microbrew" to get my point across. (That's after specific brands, styles, and the concept that there are beers that aren't advertised on TV are met with blank stares)

cmannes likes this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yes. I used to say it apologetically, now I say it proudly.

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

15. willbm3

You could say that you know alot about beer, or simply say that you are "into beer." The same way that you can be into sports and into video games and into food. You don't need to call yourself a "foodie." Although, much like these "foodies" that like to Instagram their meals, can we call ourselves "Beerie's?

16. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Yep. Absolutely no problem with it. To me, "geek" just means that I have a passion for something. Why should I be ashamed of that?

17. willbm3

Many people say that I'm into "weird beer." I'm fine with that

18. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Geek

: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity <computer geek>

Don't consider myself an expert by definitely enthusiastic. So I think the shoe fits.

creepinjeeper and SadMachine like this.
  19. I always hear "you like that heavy, dark stuff" - often while I'm imbibing an IPA....

creepinjeeper, frazbri and djrn2 like this.
  20. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Has "Beer Curmudgeon" been coined, yet? ;)

AmitC, creepinjeeper, KWMiles and 5 others like this.
  21. djrn2

Well said.

22. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I change my mind. I now want to only refer to myself as a "Beer Trekker" I want to have long, pointless debates over whether who was the better captain head brewer for Portsmouth, Tod Mott or Tyler Jones.

23. I don't but would have no problem with someone calling me that. I just tell people that I'm "big into beer."

creepinjeeper and musicman7070 like this.
  24. No. I don't like the term.

http://www.answers.com/topic/geek

RBCORCORAN, cmannes and yemenmocha like this.
  25. Why isn't it "craft pizza" originally from California, but "gourmet"? Craft beer makes me think of yard sales and flea markets. How about gourmet beer?

Back to topic. I'm okay with "beer geek", everyone usually just calls me "drunk".

Ozzie1111, creepinjeeper and willbm3 like this.
  26. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

geek out

The act of becoming emotionally and physically aroused by the sight or the thought of a technicality of a certain topic of major interest

I certainly have geeked out on beer more than a few times. At this point there is no avoiding the fact.

27. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

No, when I hear someone refer to themselves as a "beer geek" I automatically judge them as a d-bag.

RBCORCORAN, kecarl7 and yemenmocha like this.
  28. proud to be a HOP HEAD :D but honestly most of the time i just say connoisseur. makes you sound like less of an ass when constantly saying geek,snob, craft etc

willbm3 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  29. cincysig

cincysig Savant (340) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

I typically say, "I am a beer snob." By doing so, I am letting people know I can be absolutely high f-ing maintenance when it comes to choosing beers. I'm not an @$$hole, but I like top notch brews. Actually, that might make me an @$$hole to some people, but who cares?

AnotherImperial and yemenmocha like this.
  30. kzoobrew

I don't know, saying you are a connoisseur can have its own ass implications too. It can come off like you take yourself too seriously.

Onenote81 and Horbar like this.
  31. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,080) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Snob. Proud too.

It doesn't have the extreme connotations that some folks here think it does. I like craft beer and don't want to drink the lousy stuff.

32. That's funny. When I hear someone judges people as "d-bags" based on how they describe their passion for a given thing (in this case, beer), I automatically judge *them* as a d-bag.

33. When I get questions or looks from people that suggest they are wondering about my level of sanity, I usually mumble something about being "kind of a nerd when it comes to lots of things, including beer" in a somewhat apologetic manner. It's not that I feel bad about being a beer geek--I just don't think others understand and will dismiss my love as something they will NEVER understand unless I try to make it seem like I'm not completely fanatical (even though I am).

To me it's akin to any type of fanatic discussing the thing about which they are fanatical. If you turn the faucet on full-bore fanaticism, you'll just alienate people. But when I explain it this way, it seems like people are more open to learning more. Rather than being met with "oh... [looks away awkwardly, clearly no longer wanting to discuss the topic at hand]" most of the time, I occasionally pique someone's interest to learn more. Almost as if they see that my obsession with beer is not about projecting an image, but because I'm internally driven and can do nothing BUT be obsessed with beer. And they wonder if they are missing out on something (which, yes, they are).

So the short answer is yes, I do refer to myself as a beer geek to those who understand, but try to be a little more subdued to people who are less likely to understand, in the interest of potentially converting them.

34. I prefer the term "Beer Wizard"

35. exactly. maybe less so now with craft becoming more mainstream, but i've never been able to explain to others how i'm passionate about beer without thinking i'm painting a picture in their heads of me chugging can after can of bud light. and being so nonchalant about it...

Brew42, Appollo and djrn2 like this.
  36. kzoobrew

A lot of people will say that if you refuse to drink lousy beer you are a snob. I really don't see how that makes you a snob, we should all drink what we enjoy. I don't eat black licorice because I don't enjoy it and no one calls me a licorice snob. I don't drink beer that I don't enjoy but that qualifies me as a beer snob to many people. I really don't care one way or another but it is something I will never understand.

37. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I spend way too much time talking about beer and on this website. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but beer geek seems OK to me.

38. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Exactly, you know when you have found someone as geeky as you when they just don't not their head and say "uh huh" when you talk beer with them.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm a beer geek. They keep me in a cage and let me bite the heads off well poured hefes.