1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you ever buy the $25 bottle at your favorite craft beer bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (310) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Some of my local craft beer bars have rarer bottles for sale at pretty high prices. Do you ever buy these? I bought a 2009 bottle of Cascade Kriek at a bar for $40 recently but that was the first time I had done something like that.
    Are you guys ever tempted?

Some examples of what I have seen lately:
    Goose Island Madame Rose- $25 (it was $18 retail)
    Founders Bolt Cutter-$32 ($23 retail)
    Allagash Fluxus- $28 ($18 retail)
    FiftyFifty Imperial Eclipse Elijah Craig 12 year- $45($30 retail)
  2. no way. if they have a bottle, they got it through distro, and I usually can too.

I go to bars for draft offerings.
  3. I have a Featured Bottle on my beer list at the bar i manage. They usually range from $18 to $45. They dont fly off the shelves but i can consistently sell them.
    Lordkrystic, beerepiphany and Resuin like this.
  4. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I did it for cable car :p
  5. yeah pretty much the same unless for some reason i missed getting a bottle and a bar still has one and i really want to drink it, did that with parabola two years back, granted the bar only marked it up a bit so it was an easier decision for me.
    Squidly likes this.
  6. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Not worth it for me... I like getting me some craftdraft during Happy Hour.

Founders Backwoods Bastard? 16oz? $2? No problem with that.
    ufmj, Mgm54, BedetheVenerable and 2 others like this.
  7. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Only on very special occasions. I did on one of me and my wife's first dates. 99.9% of the time I get tap offerings at bars/restaurants.
    paulys55 likes this.
  8. I make sure its either something really popular (right now its Arrogant Bastard) or something they cant get (last week i had Pinkus Organic Hefewiezen) or something international (Birra Del Borgo or Zatec)
  9. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

I normally don't paid for rare bottles at a bar but I have paid $20 for a '02 WWS (in 2009), $20 Alpha Kong (in 2009) and $15 for a '07 BCBS (in 2010)
  10. This x(googleplex).
    RobertColianni likes this.
  11. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

luwak, libbey, VaTechHopHead and 6 others like this.
  12. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (310) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

And Toasted :)

StarRaptor likes this.
  13. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

only when I'm there and want something...
    inkdemention and danamal85 like this.
  14. littletriggers

littletriggers Zealot (90) Jun 21, 2012

I've splurged for a $25 Rose de Gambrinus (vacation) and I think about $30 for a Blushing Monk (girlfriend loves it). That's about it though.
    BeerThursdays likes this.
  15. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Yep.

2009 Old Stock @ publican (holy shit)

Goose Island Juliet @ hopleaf (back when it was SO GOOD years ago, way before there was any sort of wide distro... if you live in Chicago, you should remember.)

FFF Brewdog scotch barrel collab... BLECH.

Plus a bunch of other ones. I'm not very smart.
  16. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

ehammond1 likes this.
  17. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

I did this for cable car kriek and have done it for vintage bottles of jw lees and thomas hardy's.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  18. Bottles in bars are a scam. I only get them if that's the only way to find the beer. Or if I'm in another state and the price is similar to MA retail.
    CityofBals likes this.
  19. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I paid $35 for a 12oz '08 BCBS. Prior I had 4 10oz pours of KBS though.
  20. nulledge

nulledge Aficionado (170) Florida Jul 14, 2008

My local has a b1 Schramm Heart of Darkness for $125 I keep eying that I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on. And the thing is, it's not even that marked up.
    CityofBals likes this.
  21. Jaap

Jaap Aficionado (120) Washington Sep 21, 2012

Yes, but its not something I do regularly. I paid for a bottle of FW 13 a year ago. I think it was 30 bucks, which I felt was a fair markup.
  22. I've done it, but not regularly. My local hangout doesn't really have that much of a mark-up, so it's nice to have the option.
  23. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Haven't done it, but I would do it for some rare beer I wanted to try.
  24. Well, that would have been an exception for me as well.
    Poetic & probably the best DIPA I've ever had.
    StarRaptor likes this.
  25. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

The only times that I ever buy a bottle at a bar is if I'm traveling and they have something in a bottle I want and I don't have time to track it down.
  26. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Damn; the prices on that bottle list are absurdly good. $12 bucks for Victory at Sea? That can't be more than a few dollars over retail. Nice find.
    ehammond1 likes this.
  27. At my local bar, never.. But on vacation, most definitely.
    checktherhyme and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  28. Something good on draft or whatevers cheapest
  29. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

5 of us went to Hooters to get Goose Island BCBS Cherry Rye. We split 3 bottles between the 5 of us, and it was $30 a bottle. Proceeds went to charity.
  30. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

I've often told the pub owner that his bottle prices are a bit too low. Weird, I know.
    Bi0HaZarD and jglowe77 like this.
  31. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

OP: I would have grabbed the '09 Kriek for $40, too :) Might be tad on the high side, but that shit is delicious.

I have no problem paying a bit extra to enhance my evening if a great bottle selection is available. You won't see me paying 2x+ bottle price, though, unless its something super rare or something I would never be able to get my hands on otherwise.
  32. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I remember paying $60 or 65 for 2009 (or 2010) Saint-Lamvinus at the Publican in Chicago during a business trip.

A quick story to go with this is that a tiny fruit fly that fell in my cup (not into the bottle). I didn't mention anything to my waitress but another waitress passing by noticed it (I was putting my fingers into the cup to get the fruit fly out and she must have looked over to see what the hell I was doing). She took my remaining bottle (60% of the bottle was consumed already) and brought me a new bottle of Saint Lamvinus. She even apologized. I would say that was an example of outstanding service.

T
  33. I've done it a few times. They've always been Cantillons though.
    Beerontwowheels and July2Nov like this.
  34. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

22$ for a Stone 9th anniversary
  35. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

A local bar recently came out with a bottle list. I was tempted to buy a bottle of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break one night but I think it was something like $8 more than what it was at the store...no thanks.
  36. [​IMG]

This is a case of where I would try something other then Italian craft. The Bruery is on my list as well as more Cantillon.
  37. Rarely, stuff I can't get in stores. I've bought Cantillons a few times at Beachwood ~ $20-32, bought a Cherry Adam from the Wood a few years back on my birthday.
  38. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Nope. Just once on my birthday when i really wanted Fred Flanders. We had 3 of those. Normally no though.