1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you ever buy the $25 bottle at your favorite craft beer bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Bought a 2010 Arctic Devil at City Beer on vacation in SF for $30 I think. Pricey, but split 4 ways I didn't mind.

2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Never.

Always drink draft.

At fine dining I always go with wine or mixed drink.

3. I personally have not, but I could see it happening.

It would never be in a situation where I was drinking it for myself. However, $30 split between two people for sitting down with a friend, a couple of snifters, and two pours each of something rare like Bolt Cutter to go alongside some good conversation doesn't exactly sound like behavior I would scoff at.

eli323232 likes this.
  4. if sharing with friends yes, if not then probably a no.

5. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Only if it's White Birch.

6. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I prefer to just drink Draught when at a bar.

7. Have done this plenty of times in the company of friends. Most of the time I know I am getting worked on the price, but once in a while good things happen. About a year ago I ordered a Rose at Rattle n Hum, the server told me they also had St Lam and Vig, just not listed on the menu. We ordered both without asking for prices, they charged us $25 for each. Okay so that is easily the best pricing I have seen in a bar for Cantillon bottles (in NYC nonetheless), and was probably some kind of error on their part. But a great experience.

8. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Bought a $25 Fantome Saison at the bar just the other night.... Worth it.

9. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Never from a bar, but there is a liquor store up the road from me and the lady who owns it also puts up vintage stuff. I just paid $28 for a bottle of Curmudgeon's better half on sunday and thought every last drop was well worth it.

10. Yup.

11. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Savant (255) California Jun 12, 2011

Some friends and I were going to buy a $50 bottle of Murda'd Out Stout from 3 Floyds brewpub so we can drink it at the brewpub. But get this....they said I couldn't drink it there after they already told me I could before I paid for it. SERIOUSLY? I can't drink ONE bottle of YOUR beer in YOUR BAR that I bought at YOUR BAR for 50 F'N dollars?

12. I normally don't, but one day at an undisclosed location, I attempted to purchase an 08' abyss in 2012. Bartender approached me with two bottles. One was the '08 I ordered, the second was a "misstock" '06 abyss. He said he'd sell me the 6 at same price if I wanted it...
    Cha Ching!

13. Never. Reason #1. Bars are for draft beer. If I want bottles I have plenty at my house. If I want "rare" bottles I hit the trading forums (and rarely do I even do that).

Reason #2. The prices are ridiculous. My buddy once ordered a large bottle of Delerium Tremens at a bar. He read the menu wrong and thought the price was 8.50, when really that's what was listed under the ABV column. In actuality it was like $22. Clown.

14. What the fuck? What was their explanation for this?

Also, I hope you got your money back and left.

15. RandyKemka

RandyKemka Savant (290) New York Dec 13, 2011

Yes, I would if it was something special. Why not, we all spend a lot more then that on beers that let us down...

16. Only did this once with a friend for a bottle of a Crooked Stave beer because we were drunk as fuck and it sounded good. Really no regrets though.

The only other time I've considered buying an expensive bottle has been at Backcountry Pizza & Tap House in Boulder as they have a couple different Cantillion offerings but even then...nah. They have enough other great offerings on tap.

17. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

We had 5 bottles of Hopus Brasserie Lefèbvre SA which we sold for $97 a bottle. Sold all 5. They were 90 ounce bottles and all but 1 bottle sold was a group of people that split it. I've sold a couple bottles that were pricey like GI BCBS coffee for $40 but in my opinion we're playing the market and you can't walk into any store and buy it so it comes down to how bad do you want it. Most of our stuff you could walk into most stores and pick up right now but I don't think people get that to get the really good stuff on draft you gotta buy some of the bottles that no one will ever buy. Sucks but it is what it is.

18. Not normally, bought multiple Cantillon bottles on Zwanze day though, and will definitely pull the trigger if it's something I can't get (aged or rare) and the markup's not too horrible.

19. I don't know. I think bars are more for drinking and socializing in the company of others doing the same. Some of the best bars I have been to keep most of their selection in bottles. I think there might be only one bar in all of Belgium that serves a trappist beer on draft (Westmalle Dubbel in Ghent). Actually most Belgian bar offerings are in bottles, 80% plus I would even say. I'm trying to figure out why anyone would ever even go to a bar if it were only for the fact that they have draft beer.

That said, a $22 bottle of Delerium Tremens might forever change my opinion on this topic.

20. I totally agree that bars are for drinking and socializing, but for me personally it's for drinking draft and socializing. I Draft beer is a nice treat and I wouldn't miss an opportunity to enjoy it.

21. There is a bar where I live in VA that had bcbcs for $42 (retail around here was 18) but I did get a discount because I didn't drink it there. Still cost me $32 though

22. bird22

bird22 Savant (415) California Jan 2, 2011

I do it all the time at SF Toronado, but there bottle prices are extremely reasonable, especially for some of the vintage stuff. Not to mention I've been able to get all sorts of Cantillon, Cable Car, Duck Duck Gooze, etc, etc.

23. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

Almost exclusively Cantillon.

It is the only way to get it in Chicago.

24. I don't see why not well actually have done lot of times if the price is right and it is not available just go for it
    beer is priceless and you only live once
    this place by house recently had Firestone 13 for $32 a bottle i drank every bottle
    as long as the mark up is not outrageous you going to spend $6-8 a beer plus tip why not get a 22oz bottle and split with friend You get a great bottle and about the same amount of equity and
    the best part about it is you get to enjoy some good brew
    why not treat yourself you deserve it

25. Yes. I have paid high prices for beers at bars but only when I can't get them ANYWHERE else. For my birthday a few years ago I ordered a Mother of All Beers. Also, just bought Goose Island BCBCS. Wallet rape pales in comparison to the experience offered by the beer.

26. I went to Toronado in SD last September while on vacation with my girlfriend. We spent the whole day at the zoo and then hit up Toronado afterwards for dinner and drinks. I had a couple draft pours as I worked up the courage to ask the bartender if they had CAble Car. I have read some interesting stories on here from others about how finicky it can be on whether or not they have any. Needless to say I wasn't surprised when I was told they didn't have any, but then the very kind female bartender replied "But we do have Cable Car Kriek" I was very excited and the beer was delicious. I then proceeded to drink a T25 after that. I don't usually buy bottles at bars such as this but it was probably a once Ina lifetime chance so I didn't care how much they were. I dont exactly remember but I want to say around $45 and maybe $35 for those 2 bottles. Can't put a price on a fantastic experience though.

27. I did for an '11 Parabola at Armsby Abbey last fall; the perfect complement to lunch with my wonderful wife.

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  28. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I never buy bottles in a bar. I did buy a 22oz Hop Stoopid once because they were selling them for $4 to make room for new stuff.

29. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (230) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

I paid $60 for a bottle of rare at merkles before a Paul McCartney at wrigley concert. Great night.

paulys55 and Oneinchaway like this.
  30. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I do but I hate it. I work for a distributor so I know what the bar paid for it most of the time and it chaps my ass.

31. jb123

jb123 Advocate (510) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

depends on what it is, had some boo goop a few weeks ago paid 22??? cant really even find that any more, well not in michigan at least.

32. No i have not but this could easily be the future of great/rare brews in restaurant settings, compared to wine to get world class brews at this price is feasible and may happen in the future

33. I did. $40 for Parabola at Churchkey. :eek:

On the plus side, I learned my lesson on buying bottles at bars.

And that is: NEVER FRIGGIN' AGAIN

34. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Savant (255) California Jun 12, 2011

They said "Yea, someday we can let you drink it here but you can't today". WTF??? We ended up keeping it to try later and did leave. Not interested too much in going back now.

35. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

Walgreens: The Pharmacy America Trusts.

36. sometimes I go to the bar and they have pours of Pliny for like $7 and a bomber of Nelson for $11.

busted my nut brendan, catalina wine mixer, IT IS NOT EVEN A QUESTION

libbey likes this.
  37. I bought a $55 bottle of Fou Foune at the restaurant at MOMA in NYC, didn't think twice about it

38. If I see any Alpine IPA I'll spend the $12 to get a bottle but that's pretty much it. Before that I spent about $15 or so on Mikleller's Hoppy Lovin' Christmas and that soured my taste on higher priced bottles. (And I know that I am even talking less than $20 here.)

39. Just to be clear, I enjoy the experience of draft pours as much as anyone. But still, shunning a good beer just because it's in a bottle honestly doesn't make any sense to me.

40. And to be clear on my end, I am definitely not shunning good beer just because it's in a bottle. What I am saying is that if I am going to get said bottle of beer, which I agree is surely an excellent endeavor, I would rather just buy it at the store and have it at home or trade for it. I say this, for the aforementioned reasons of the price of bottles at bars being high and the option of buying draft beer being much more appealing.