Do you ever buy the $25 bottle at your favorite craft beer bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Not often, unless I want some for the cellar and no one else has them. Examples include Bolt Cutter for $24 and Black Ops for $26

2. Fair enough. Besides you will be leaving more of those bottled beers for me. wink.

BUT to even further clarify, I would probably always go for draft if given the choice, or not, or yes, I can't decide. Lots of factors involved. Either way it's going to be beer, so I figure things will turn out ok.

3. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Only if its something rare I can't find at the store.

4. Last one I paid that much for was on Zwanze day, I know I bought 750's of Iris, Vignerone and Fou Foune. Had some 375's as well but those were less.

5. I paid $35.00 for a Brooklyn Black Op's in a bar. A friend and i had bet buying the bottle(to share) on a football game. I lost.

6. $32 for Goose Island Juliet. It was expensive and very tasty. I don't regret it, but I probably could've widended my search at beer stores at found it for retail. Patience isnt my thing when it comes to beer.

7. mcrago

mcrago Savant (395) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Most of the bombers that I buy are $25+ each. But hey, I like rare beers that age well...

8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Could you acquire one of these for me? Ill make it worth yer while.

9. Jaru1026

Jaru1026 Savant (295) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2011

I purchased a $40 bottle of '11 Parabola not to long ago... It was well worth it. I just really didnt want to drink the one I had at home!

10. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Not normally, since mark-up at Austin bars runs in the 50-100% over store cost range, but I broke that rule recently in Portland at Baileys Taproom because (1) their bottle prices are excellent, and (2) you can take them to go or drink there. Loved that damn place.

11. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Savant (255) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

I want the 50/50, but I can't pony up to buy it. All varieties are just sitting there pretty. Seems so expensive. On the other hand, I paid slightly less for Abraxus without problem.

12. Jips

Jips Savant (355) Kansas Nov 29, 2007

Couldn't pass up Bourbon County Rare for $70 when I had the chance (spilt between 5 people)

13. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

In general I'll pick draught over bottle. The one exception I've made at a beer bar was when I had my first Fantome--it was priced close to retail, nothing on tap really excited me, and for the price of two pours it came out to be about the same so it was an easy decision.

14. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

sure - if there isn't anything particularly interesting on draft i might go for a bottle and split it with a couple people - OR - if there's some vintage/rarer bottles on the list (ie 05 LP Framboise).

15. My buddy and I split a bottle of cherry rye last month. Last year I had a bottles of King Henry, Night Stalker, and i had various FFF bombers.

16. Impfan

Impfan Aficionado (235) Washington Dec 31, 2009

Why, yes.

Yes, I do.

17. No.

I've seen Cantillon for 40+... no thanks, but i'll buy a peche mortel for 8 bucks.... same as Lawson's Kiwi.

18. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

I always go for the draft selections. Its just that notion that I can always get a bottle at home, but not an opportunity to try the (supposedly) fresher taps.

19. Paid about $23 for a St. Bernardus Christmas Ale during Thanksgiving. Could have gotten it for about $15 at local retailer. But a good time was had by all.

20. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

When visiting NC this past summer I saw a bottle of Black ops in the cooler and really wanted to try it but turned it down when told it was $30

21. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

The few times I have it's been bottles of Cantillon and since I never see it at stores and don't trade, I'll continue to do it if it's Cantillon.

22. It has to be something I just can't get at a store or something older.

23. Absolut

Absolut Savant (435) California Sep 19, 2011

only for older bottles i cannot get. 09 parabola, 08 stone irs.

24. I would say that was an example of a good waste of %40 of a bottle of St. Lamvinus ;) :(

25. if i was a brouwers in seattle! great selection ;)

26. I have, but only for special occasions or beers I would never be able to find again/anywhere else.

27. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

At the Cove in baton rouge.

Beer geek brunch, $23.
    Worth every penny to sit and drink it my first time at the place!

28. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

just got two bottles of moat water tonight at 25 a piece.

29. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

If the mood strikes, you can do it. I compare it to eating out. Cheaper to make it at home for the most part. Your out enjoying yourself at a craft/microbrew beer bar, it's totally ok to buy the expensive beer, even though you KNOW it can be bought at a MUCH cheaper price at a beer store that you frequent.

30. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

yeah, I brought king henry for 30 a couple times, split between friends it was well worth it!
    I don't mind paying a bit more for beer at a bar, the atmosphere and the service is rolled into the price

31. I can't recall ever doing it but the more I get lost in this beer hobby of mine, the more I get tempted. I trade but mostly just for brews that people on the other side of the country can get off the shelf. I still think I would only do it for older vintages for beers that are fairly unattainable. I just drove down to Churchill's last weekend and had no idea they even had a bottle list, much less they had some of those vintages listed. I would have bought at least two different years of The Abyss, no questions asked.

32. StoneTSR

StoneTSR Savant (345) Colorado Nov 18, 2009

My last two bartending jobs have landed me within a block of two great beer bars. During both jobs, after a really good night ($300-plus) I would walk down and treat myself to a nice bottle. Sometimes I would split it with a co-worker, but other times I would just do it solo. Avery Rumpkin, Uncle Jacob's Stout, Immitus have been my pricey go-tos here in Boulder ($18 - $22 for 12 oz. bottles), in Chicago I was more versatile. But I like the option of celebrating with a big beer and I wish more places allowed people the opportunity to do so. I don't want to ever, ever, ever spend more than $15 on a bottle of champagne, but beer, well, beer is worth splurging sometimes.

33. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

If I don't/haven't had it and want to have it bad enough then hell yes...EVERY TIME!

This makes me happy, have a bottle waiting in the cellar.

34. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I thought St. Lamvinus at $30 was a pretty good deal. Also at the same place I tried De Dolle Stille Nacht Riserva 2010 for $50 this past weekend. There was also a place close to me that had Cantillon Classic Gueuze 375ml all summer long for $12 per bottle....hard to pass that one up.

35. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

whats that thing go for anyway (if they will serve it to you)?

36. If you are willing to buy liquor at a bar, you should be willing to pay the markup on a sick beer...

zachary80 and kneary13 like this.
  37. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

Rouge Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut... $25 split between 3 friends in Boston who thought they'd never see it again. a year later I went to Oregon and it's on shelves all over Boston.

38. Bomber of Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12 for $20 recently. Figured it would be my only chance to try it. Plus there was a gift certificate involved, so it was "free".

39. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Its unreal man. Get in there.

40. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Quite often actually. We get tons of rare beers, and I have always paid retail, but now as of 01/01/13I get it all at cost which is bitchin'.