1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you ever buy the $25 bottle at your favorite craft beer bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. beefmental

beefmental Aficionado (215) Iowa May 26, 2005

Only when I am traveling for work and can expense it. :)
    TheRealDBCooper and Jnorton00 like this.
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

$40 iirc... Worth it.
  3. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I'm not sure if she has anymore but I will check defiantly check with her, she held it for me for 3 weeks because I'm in there so often. She had a Founders gift set she put together for christmas that had a boltcutter, frangelic mountain brown, better half, kbs and devil dancer so there is a possibility there could be more.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  4. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

My shop has a couple bottles of 2011 BA yeti for $25, wondering if its worth it.
  5. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Paid $25 for Moat Water since i missed the small distribution. It was worth every penny
    luwak likes this.
  6. After a wedding (read: 5 Manhattans deep) in Philly I stumbled into Monk's at 12:30am and ordered a $40 bottle of Fou Foune for myself. It was awesome, but in retrospect pretty dumb.
  7. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

If I was with a couple buddies those two right there would go down easily at that price for us. Mostly because A) I can't get Eclipse here and I had this one at Darkness Day damn good beer. B) Madame Rose was here sorta if you happened to stop in on random day X to your favorite store of the 3 that probably got half a case (sort of like Black Ops was but I did manage a bottle of that).

I had my friend pick me up a bottle of King Henry in Chicago last January from a liquor store for $30 IMO worth every single cent and I'd pay that again for that beer.

But I wouldn't throw down anything like that alone or with my wife...because again I'd be alone (my wife is gluten intolerant...)
  8. theCoder

No, good but not that good. I can get new BA Yeti now for $10 here and one of my bottle shops does have 2011 still for the same price, cocoa Yeti...maaaaaaaaaaaybe $20 that one is fantastic with a year under it (again found it for $10).
  9. Made a trip specifically to Brouwers for the purpose of paying $50 for LA Isabelle Proximus in 2009 (Damn, those were the good old days.)

$30 for CC '09 as well.
  10. Definitely. In so cal, quite a few places price their bottles quite reasonably and have stuff that does not see distribution or is hard to obtain when it hits (e.g., beachwood, the play ground and blue palms). When, the draft list is disappointing, it's nice to enjoy a choice bottle for a modest mark up (especially considering they've been cellaring the thing for you).
    jmgrub likes this.
  11. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

No
  12. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Well I've never seen it in Ohio before so think I'm gonna waste some money.
  13. theCoder

In that case I'd go for it. Its really damn good. I like Regular Yeti, BA Yeti and Cocao Oak Aged Yeti all three are amazing and I'd buy anyone in a second.
  14. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Sure. and sometimes the $50 or $60 dollar bottle. yeah.
    i mostly hate bars but if im out with ppl we usually get something pretty great if available and split it. And when i travel to bars that have better selection than i can get i almost always do it.

Two days ago i was at SD Toronado and had this:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2216/84111

the price said $53....im not sure how much I actually paid...but it was totally awesome

15. I split a bottle of Supplication with a buddy of mine (was $22 or $24...overpriced I know)
  16. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

that beer is like licking an ashtray someone spit maple syrup on...worst beer ive ever had...and yes, ive had keystone/natty ice/etc
  17. Was at a bar last night and they had Founders KBS in their cellar. I got 2 bottles to go at $20/ea. which I'm sure was too much. I wanted it, so that makes it worth it :)
  18. BelgBeerGeek

BelgBeerGeek Disciple (70) Belgium Nov 11, 2012

19. What is $25 dollars for the experience of a great tasting beer? You only live once..

Money doesn't matter, it doesn't feel for you, I used to worry about it everyday, but I've got better things to do. So my advice, enjoy your life and drink that epic beer at least once, then come back and tell us all about it man. :cool:
  20. Hell no. I prefer draft anyways but I did splurge on a 2001 Avec Les Bons Voeux at Brouwers last year.
  21. ldookmariot

ldookmariot Disciple (65) Texas Jan 13, 2013

Yes. If I'm out of town and it's a beer I really want that I can't get locally at my favorite bottle shop, I'll pay the high on-site bottle price.
  22. DanE

DanE Savant (400) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

ehammond1 likes this.
  23. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Nope, too rich for my blood.
  24. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Almost did once. At Map Room in Chicago and the bartender told me he had Tart of Darkness.
    But I was alone and already way too deep to start a sour bomber.
    So he gave me some Jacobins Rouge that ended my night. :p
  25. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I don't typically do it... but I will every once in a blue moon. For example, on a friend's birthday, we went out for brunch and I bought a bottle of Cuir off the menu, since he really liked Fruet, and it was his birthday and all.
  26. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

Exactly. I did this with 3 Floyd's Alpha Klaus and was glad I did. Especially sine I can't get it in Virginia.
  27. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Last New Year's Eve I split 2 bottles of King Henry at the bar with my buddy. I think they were $22 each.
    It was perfect because I had only managed to find 3 bottles for sale, so this way I got to try it without cracking one of my limited number of bottles.
  28. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Bars are for draft or cask in my opinion. The only time I've bought bottles was off the vintage list at Bull and Bush:

1999 Old Boardhead $12
    2000 and 2002 Bigfoot $10
    2001 Old Stock $10
    2003 Hanssens Oude gueuze $23

All the prices on those were pretty reasonable in my opinion given that each of the beers was at least 6-10 years old.

I did consider buying a Cable Car Kriek at Toronado San Diego but was drinking so much lambic that weekend that I said fuck it and ordered more draft Alpine.
  29. I've done this more times than I can count. I've bought Partridge in a Pear tree for $50, '09 - '12 Cable Car (up to $85 for '09), vintage BCBS ($35), BASS ($50), DDG ($50), CFH '11 and '12 ($25 ish) in various bars/tasting rooms in San Diego.
  30. New BA Yeti? Please share as this thread, http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/ba-yeti.46929/ , is the opinion I was under is that it is not released currently.
  31. theCoder

You are correct sir, I saw it the other day in the liquor store just in and double checked and was going to come back and correct myself.
    Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  32. I was going to say...quite a difference in those brews.
    Even if they have a similar name. :D
  33. Class act. Class act.
    theCoder likes this.
  34. I've only paid $25 once for a bottle and that was for Surly Darkness
  35. The place i work at we did a CBS and waffle pairing for $35. It was fucking amazing, the waffle is about an inch and a half thick and if you didnt have a fork on it, it would float away. The waffle had fresh whipped cream and vermont maple syrup. The CBS, well you know...
    Dizbro21 likes this.
  36. No way. There are just too many much more affordable alternatives today. No sense in paying a huge premium for that last 5% improvement. Now, if I were extremely weathy, it might be a different story. But, I'm not :(!
  37. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

I bought the 32 dollar black ops at hop leaf for some reason last night. it was then i knew it was time to go home
  38. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

You file a report for robbery by intimidation.....Black Ops is $16.99 everywhere down here
  39. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

Split a bomber of Black Ops with friends last year at a bar in Chicago, was in the $20-25 range which seemed very fair