1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you ever buy the $25 bottle at your favorite craft beer bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Beerpharmer

Beerpharmer Zealot (95) New Jersey Apr 22, 2010

$40 Whiskey Barrel Aged Old Ruffian. Worth every dollar. I might do it again if I get in the mood
  2. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

In this area, it tends to be whatever the packaging price is, the single price is at bars and restaurants. Bombers are usually double the retail price.

Ex: $6 6-pack, $6 single bottle @ the bar/restaurant. $12 bomber, $24 bomber @ the bar/restaurant...

So it's either hope your favorite beer goes on draft, or prepare to pay through the nose.
  3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Tempted - yes. Buy - no, especially if the little woman and I want to eat. Maybe on vacation, but it would have to be something we both like and that is a tough intersection to find sometimes. We usually stick with draft even though the draft scene isn't all that exciting in my neck of the woods... You know, big night out and those Wendy's dispensers only have Coke products ;)
    brureview likes this.
  4. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

trade me a bottle then id like one for the cellar
  5. hornsup

hornsup Savant (310) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

pm and we'll set it up.
  6. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

awesome - post it in your review. anything positive to contribute to the thread?
    kojevergas likes this.
  7. Sure have! Last February ... King Henry bottles $25.00 a pop and drank all three there :)
  8. This thread has inspired me to pull the trigger on bottles more often. Not bad prices around here, either. Got Sucaba the other night for only $20
  9. Nope. Was out with the parents and the lady up in Flagstaff, saw Abyss '12 on the menu for $25 but just couldn't pull the trigger...especially when I know I've got 3 bottles at home and I paid ~$14 for 'em. Got me an XS Old Crusty draft instead for $7.
  10. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

All day!
    $25 for a great beer! Yes
  11. Is $45 for a Cantillon Fou' Foune bad? It is a 750ml. Also, how about a Cantillon 100% Kriek (in a smaller bottle) for $20?
  12. I spent $75 on a Homage recently. No regrets.
  13. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

almost never.
  14. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

I paid $20 for a bottle of KBS at a bar last year. It was my first one and I had a $40 Groupon that cost me $20, so I felt like I actually got it for free. ;)
  15. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

Depends, when it's a one-off and I can't find it anywhere else (options are limited in PA) like Firestone Walker XVI, definitely. Most year rounds and seasonals can be found elsewhere cheaper
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  16. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Yup, if its worth it!
  17. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Way too often.
    KhakCane likes this.
  18. Nope. Never.
  19. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (410) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

I bought a bottle of 07 BCBS at bar a few weeks ago, it was $20. More recently than that I bought a bottle of Angle's Share Bourbon for $25.
    kojevergas likes this.
  20. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

No. Gone are the days when I feel spending $25 or more on a single bottle of beer is worth it. Then again I live in Vegas where thousands of people every day shove $20 bills down strippers thongs to get their jollies for a couple of minutes, so maybe $25 on a large format bottle of good beer isn't all that bad.
    AnotherImperial and pitweasel like this.
  21. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

It's reasonable to pay more at a bar, than retail. I have about 25 bombers at my bar that sell from $12-$30 and I sell quite a lot, they are perfect for sharing. People pay crazy mark ups for a bottle of wine so a slight mark up on beer should be fine. As a business owner you have to think about storage, serving it, glassware, taxes, cost of liquor license, etc. Much more involved than marking it up 30% and sticking it on a shelf.
    TheBoog013 likes this.
  22. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I generally do my bottles at home. One exception is Top Hops, a bottle shop\on premises combo here in NYC. They add a $2 corking fee to drink it at the bar, but generally the prices aren't jacked up to the $30-$40 range that you see in a bar that's just a bar.
    As much as Tørst might be my favorite beer bar around, the prices on that bottle list are ridiculous. Several Cantillons upwards of $100.
    dar482 likes this.
  23. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (705) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

No. And I hope it never comes to this. $25 bottles are why you should all take up homebrewing.
  24. I was at Falling Rock (Denver), and they had just put up on a chalk board "Russian River Tornado 25th Anniv, $40." I thought, I could, but I got a plane to catch. A gentleman walks in, sees the sign, and orders a bottle on the spot. Ends up splitting it with a few strangers, including me at the bar. We enjoy it. After that, he decides to get another bottle, split that. Amazing! After that, we all split a Love Child #2. He pays for it and leaves!

Talk about beer advocacy!
  25. cde1218

cde1218 Savant (250) New Jersey Sep 13, 2012

After Hurricane Sandy hit I took a day to get out of dodge and went to a well known Philly beer spot with a friend (whom shall remain nameless) and ended up spending $300+ on trying every Cantillon on the menu along with "you-call-its" from the awesome bartender whom overlooked the 1 Cantillon per table rule given our situation. Great way to unwind for sure, just wish I remember which ones I had!
    NickyDee21 and Giovannilucano like this.
  26. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Thats crazy what bar was this and how much did the bartender have to drink that night?
  27. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Twisted Rooster

Fastest reply ever.
  28. All day every day!
  29. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

It has to be a special occasion, a special bottle, or probably both. But yeah, sometimes.
  30. yea, i dropped that much on a fantome saison a little while ago while on a date
    i regret nothing
    except the fact that she drank it with a straw......whatever, she's still one of the good ones
  31. Yep, if it a beer that I really want.
  32. I paid $18 for a 750ml Fou'Foune.......and $12 for the kriek
  33. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I very rarely buy bottles at restaurants/tap houses/bars. Come to think of it, Toronado is the only place I really buy bottles. Cable car and 6 year old Pannepot for $35? Yes please.
  34. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Savant (250) California Sep 19, 2009

I try not to but it seems lately $20 and above is what I'm spending. I agree with closisinthehouse "If its a beer I really want."
  35. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Yes I would if its something that I can share and havent had/cannot buy. That said, not many places around here have a bottle list that's worth even looking at
  36. tpp6788

tpp6788 Disciple (65) Ohio Mar 12, 2013

As stated by several people I go for draft brews, not bottles. Never have purchased a bottle besides the few and far between Cantillon. Besides that I've only drank bottles if I was Iced / Peach Fuzzy Naveled.
  37. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (555) Washington Apr 30, 2008

Froma STORE, not currently, but that's due mostly to financial situations than any moral objections or whatever. When I've had better cash flow, I've bought more expensive beers

From a bar/restaurant/whatever? Draft. I can buy bottles for home consumption, and with the markup that is standard (and arguably necessary) in food service, I'd rather pay more for a serving type unavailable elsewhere than simply for the privilege of being on their premise.

That being said, if I haven't been able to find it elsewhere and really want it, I just might have to...
  38. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Only a hand full of times and all when I was out of town
  39. Only if its something that I can't get. The only reason I even go to a bar is to drink stuff I normally can't to be honest. My favorite bar does 4oz pours of everything on tap so I usually get 4-6 different beers. I don't mind paying $25 for a bottle if its something I really want to try though.