1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you ever buy the $25 bottle at your favorite craft beer bar?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Jan 9, 2013.

1. claytong

claytong Initiate (0) Vermont Feb 27, 2011

Vignerrone for 30 and one other cantillon for 30
    Well worth it

2. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Bought a bottle of GI Cherry Rye for $32. Well worth the price. would do it again for another BA stout.

3. Just recently I passed up a $25 bottle of barrel aged old rasputin with no regrets. Wasn't the first time...I won't spend over $10 on a pour at a bar. I'm not made of money lol.

Juliuspcamacho and Providence like this.
  4. I didn't pay quite that much but I was worth it.
    [​IMG]

HenrikO and Rutager like this.
  5. kodt

kodt Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 6, 2013

I found a restaurant that claims to have a bottle of CBS for $14. Should I go drink it?

A. they are full of shit.
    B. It's actually KBS
    C. Its long gone and they forgot to update their website.

Shmuffalo likes this.
  6. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

at the Boneyard, we've been known to split some aged stouts with a few years on them, parabola, stone IRS, etc. its always easier to justify a good way into the drinking session. never had buyers' remorse. but, ending a long session with a 12.5%er is a good way to ensure a slow morning the next day.

7. I bought a $30 bomber of Black Ops. I missed the release of it, and I felt a $10 markup at a restaurant wasn't bad. I split it with 2 friends, so it was essentially a $10 8 ounce pour. Overpriced sure, but not awful.

8. I put up $30 for a bottle of Parabola...a tough sip to swallow, but I'd never had it and it was deliciou$!

DerekMorgan likes this.
  9. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (380) New York Nov 21, 2008

$45 for fou foune isnt bad, Id prolly pass on small format kriek for $20 though.

10. Never. Call me a frugal New Englander:) I won't pay $25 for a bottle in a beer store. Is an expensive beer so much better? I did( held my nose)pay $11 for a can of Heady Topper in a bar. It was worth it. Price is not always commensurate with quality.

11. $24 for a 12 oz Supplication and $25 for a bomber of BCBCS. Don't think I would again at that price, but it was worth it to try it once.

I agree in principle, but in practice, Delaware bars have a peculiar way of acquiring things that liquor stores can't.

12. Don't normally but decided to pull the trigger in Salt Lake this past weekend so I could "stick it to the man" in that damn conservative town! $21 for '09 Mirror Mirror. Tasted GREAT!

13. 38 dollars for a bottle of Dissident for my birthday. Id do it again for the right occasion

14. I haven't and don't plan to unless it's for a real special occasion.

15. I don't typically but if it was something I couldn't get ahold of I probably would.

At least it's not as bad as wine at restaurants - oh, you have a $10 bottle of Kendall Jackson from the grocery store available for me for $36? How nice!

16. I have - twice...both were bottles (one offs) that couldn't be acquired any more and it was easier to drop the cash at the moment rather than try and acquire these through a trade. (Yep...pretty lazy, I know. :oops:)

fmccormi likes this.
  17. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Jesus Christ, no.

Pinioned likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

About once a month Todd and I hit up a place that have pricey bottles that many people talk about, I am sure we'll be doing that tonight (Friday).

$25 is in the moderate range depending on what beer you are talking about.

jzeilinger likes this.
  19. Pinioned

Pinioned Aficionado (195) Kentucky Dec 16, 2012

That would be a big fat no.

20. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Walked into Spuyten Duyvil not so long ago ... $69 for two bottles. Did not even blink, expected. As I said, once a month ... tops.

21. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (420) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Bought a Lost Abbey Deliverance once. Not worth the price I paid but it was awesome.

FedgE_The_Beer_Baron likes this.
  22. Never seen anything worth $25 at any of the bars I go to so thats a no.

23. I whole hearedly agree with you!!! I went into the Prohibition Pig last Saturday after being disappointed at the Alchemist Cannery. My wife and I were seated amongst a sea of hipsters, I looked at the menu and said "What the f-ck?! Grab your purse we're leaving." and they have Hill Farmstead on tap. THIS IS BEER...NOT THE CURE FOR CANCER!

24. Normally I would reply by saying that you don't understand the care that goes into and the quality of the ingredients in some beers. There are definitely beers that merit a $30 price point (or more) on a bar bottle list.

However. I looked up the restaurant you went to, and DAMN. They need to get a clue. Their prices are 20% higher than the highest price I've ever seen for those beers. And I live in Chicago.

Svendozen likes this.
  25. It's funny you mention that, because I had the same conversation on the way home. I was a little over zealous with my comment, and there ARE beers that are worth it. And as I told my wife "there are beers that I would spend that on. But that place seems like they're charging extortionate prices to keep guys like me out." I liken it to this douchebag I work with. He goes to this beer shop that is full of Snobby Dicks, and they sell him SHIT at a high price. But because he's paying a high price he thinks he got the best beer. I've been to that same shop. They're assholes. I'M NOT KIDDING he said to me a couple weeks ago "there really isn't any beer that's brewed in the states that really appeals to me. Like (store that shall remain nameless) turned me on to this beer from the UK you probably haven't heard of Old Speckeled Hen". You and I know this beer is shit, and I was going to say something to him, but I descided that he probably deserved his shit Old Speckeled Hen at $3 a bottle. The guys in the Prohibition Pig? Same guys. They can keep their beer. Because I'll put they money they charge for a beer into my gas tank and take a day trip to Greensboro and drink Hill Farmstead at the brewery.

Cheers

26. About a year ago I bought 375ml bottles of Russian River Consecration and Supplication for ~$15 each. I thought it was rather expensive but given the rarity on the East Coast and Pennsylvania liquor laws, I figured it was worth snagging them while I could.

The Supplication was my first real sour and I am still not sure if I appreciated it and whether it was worth the coin.

27. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

In 2008, when those beers were actually findable on shelves: No; in 2013 when 99.99% of the time they aren't: Yes.

28. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

KBS in bars here are $10. I've seen Cantillion priced at $30, not into sours at ll but if I was I'd do it once in awhile.

29. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I would pay for the right beer on the right occasion, but I haven't been to that time and place.

30. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

When I was there last October I paid maybe $6-7 for a pint of HF Double Citra and Lawson's Hopzilla, totally worth it. There bottle list is marked up a bit, but their drafts are on point. Also, $10 for a Peche Mortel at a bar isn't too crazy.

31. Where? In Belgium? No way Fou'Foune is that cheap in the US, unless it was 20 years ago maybe.

32. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Nope....Plenty of great beers out there that cost much less and I can purchase more of.

33. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

30 is normally my limit, saw a 2005 Baladin Xyauyu for 43.99..... almost broke my rule

34. Short answer, no
    Long answer, absolutely not.

35. ilovermont

ilovermont Aficionado (150) Vermont Jul 18, 2012

Believe the typical pricing on both of those offerings at Pro Pig is 7-8$ for a 12 oz. pour.

But arguably still worth it.

36. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

never paid $25 for a bottle but I did spend $20 on 1.5 ounces of Sam Utopia 10th anniversary last week. Worth it for a shot? Yes. Would I pay $200 for a bottle? Highly unlikely.

37. Where I work and I don't get an employee discount either.

38. I would pay that all day, every day!

RochefortChris likes this.
  39. jimlapaglia

jimlapaglia Zealot (95) New York Jan 1, 2009

In 1978 I turned down a 25 dollar ticket to see the Jerry Garcia Band at the Orpheum Theater in Boston saying, I wouldn't pay 25 dollars to see a resurrection unless it was my own.

In 2012 Stones tickets went for 400 dollars.

My point is never turn down a good experience if you can do it. God knows it ain' t gonna get cheaper.

ilovermont likes this.
  40. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I don't look at prices. There. I made my confession.

I guess that's wrong or something. Me want = me get.

kewire and RochefortChris like this.