1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you ever get bored ticking?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ispeakforthetrees, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Today i went in to the store planning on doing what I always do.
    A mix-six. I hope if I can hit up every different store offering it I'm bound to find a new brew here and there. But tonight I found I couldn't find anything new let alone beyond interesting to justify the cost being home in my parent's town for the holidays. No fresh IPA's and only a handful of non-typical Denver beers with New Belgium/FCB/O'dell's/Left Hand being the primary suspects. I gave up having a variety of styles and tastes to enjoy and went to a 5.99 pack of Old Chub.
    Anyone else find themselves in the predicament that it may not always be worth it?
    Anyone find any gems saying screw it?

2. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Definitely. The old-IPA thing is a huge problem here. Don't feel like spending +10 on a bomber. Prima Pils? Troegs's Hopback? Case of SNPA? Sign me up.

3. I don't think I even do it consciously. I like to try myriad beers of all styles and ranges. There's probably only a handful of beers I drank more than one of in 2012.

If all else fails, and I cant find a new beer to drink...there's always my fall back--Bell's Two Hearted.

4. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

Nope. It's a new experience every damn day. Haters gonna hate. However, I don't really go after whales ever; so my wallet only shells out 30 dollars for a 750 of beer rarely (Hello Bruery sours and Anniv Ales!!!) Most of the time, I am just buying normal run of the mill beers.

5. adamette

adamette Advocate (560) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

I have experienced this minimally in the past but lots of distractions (work, kids, etc.) took my attention away from trying new beers for months at a time and it is fun to re visit my recent hobby of finding and trying new beers (mostly with mix-sixers from my favorite bottle shop) after not visiting said shop for a while. It has been nice to see what I believe is the continued expansion of the craft beer scene in general since every time I visit the shop the same breweries have several more beers available that did not exist before! That being said, I have recently did something that I hadn't at the height of my ticking days: I bought a Great Lakes Sampler twice recently and also bought a few packs of some favorites. It was enjoyable to simply enjoy some great beers that I discovered in my travels.

6. I agree. My access to "Wales" here in the south is pretty limited. I do make it a point to drink BA 90s or greater, which is also limiting myself pretty severely. That's probably something I need to change, and lower my bar a bit.

7. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,020) Michigan May 5, 2010

In the beginning 2+ years ago, that was my attitude(90+); but now I always go for 80+ offerings. Some mix 6 packs end up with some under 80; but I have stumbled upon some beers I really enjoyed even if they have pretty mediocre ratings. Case in point: Oktoberfest, Pils, Kolsch, etc are vastly under appreciated as styles.

8. I started drinking craft brews 7 or 8 years ago, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale being my first true craft beer. I really wish I had kept a running count from the get-go, but alas. As a whole, I'm not a fan of many seasonals. However, since I work in a beer store, I "have" to try something at least once as we get it("what is [insert beer] like?"). Some are some stinkers, but others are delicious. Off the top of my head, Anchor Christmas and Ayinger Oktoberfest(especially this one. Marzens were so boring before I found this)are two that I've really enjoyed, both sub-90s.

All that said, I have to travel across state lines to have access to certain breweries(Bell's, Founder's, Lost Abbey, the Bruery, etc.) to get my fix. I feel that somewhat justifies my 90+ requirement. :cool:

9. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I started out trying tons of different beers, but now it has come to just buying a random 6-pack and maybe something new I see. I also cellar tons of beer so I spend more money on that instead of random beers.

10. I've had some doubts when I've been on a bad stretch of new beers, if I'm just wasting time instead of getting my old known tried and true favorites, but then you have those moments, where you're just cracking open good to great new beers one after the other, and you realize this is why you get up in the morning, go to work, put up with life's shit. . . for these glorious moments when you can enjoy something new and delicious.

ledzeppelin4 likes this.
  11. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

This is me as well however, I have tried pretty much everything I have ever wanted to try at this point and I am really starting to nail down my likes/dislikes so I am going to start falling back on the ones I know I like already a little more often than I used to.

And interestingly enough, many of the 90+ rated beers ended up being some of my LEAST favorites.

12. I'm not bored because it is interesting to keep trying new beers. However, I've come to realize that the light at the end of the tunnel to try every beer that I can (even within reason) is getting farther away, so my quest is hopeless. I've started to buy memorable beers that I've already had but want to enjoy again.

19etz55 likes this.
  13. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

In California I see such a dizzying array of new offerings that my head f*cking spins! The same thing happens when I check draft lists, and see all of these brand new, brewery only releases. I usually fight myself over whether I should have something new or go with the tried and true.

14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

maybe ticking isn't all it's cracked up to be?;)

avenuepub likes this.
  15. I don't really buy beers just to tick them via the mix six pack method. I do however try any good beer that I haven't had. So, then I want to review it just as much for my reference as anything. But, I do find sometimes I feel like getting through the review is a hassle, and I don't really get to enjoy the beer and relax until I finished the review (if that makes any sense?).

16. I honestly see the mix-a-six method more as "trying" than "ticking". I'll often do it, but on the other hand I'm just as likely to pick up a sixer of Two-Hearted, Red's Rye, or something along those lines.

jhartley likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

There are still a ton of beers I haven't tried yet and need to tick. No boredom to speak of, but I am growing tired of chasing limited releases.

FEUO and BEERchitect like this.
  18. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

For me there's a lot of beer I'd love to try but don't have the time because there are so many out there. I have a problem of buying stuff I want to try and not being able to keep up. So I usually have like 40-50 brews on hand at any given time...

19. beersands

beersands Aficionado (130) Texas Apr 4, 2007

Sometimes the selection is scarce for me, and it can feel a bit tiring, but its OK. I just drink something inexpensive that I like, or drink a style I don't normally have all the time. Or I try something I've had before with friends to see what they think. About 4 of us, who are serious enough about it, started a small beer tasting "club" and we save new or limited beers that nobody has had, just for such occasions. We also scout out places with rolling stocks, or places which do special order. Its a nice way to try really expensive beer.

Sooner or later a flood of choices will present themselves and I can try new beers again.

20. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

Living in San Diego I can't say ticking has gotten boring. Between all 58+ breweries, beer events, tap takeovers, release parties and bottle shares there's enough beer here to keep one occupied for a long time to come.

ehammond1 likes this.
  21. For me, once a bomber goes above $10, I've gotta double check how badly I'd really like that brew.
    I just don't have the disposable income to just consume one-1/2 beers for a whole six beers worth unless it's actually going to be worth my while.

22. I have to agree 100%. Why does it have to be labeled as "ticking"? How else are you going to expand your palate?

23. Man that is so true it's not even funny! That's a very fine line!

24. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Nope, not bored at all, to me there is nothing better than trying a beer I have never tried, 'cause even if that beer sucks it is better than trying a beer I really loved for the second time. Even if the only new beer I can find is a crappy malt liquor, that still is better than re-trying a fantastic beer.

Boring? Seeing my number of ticks get bigger is one of the least boring things I do in my life. I can't wait until I win.

Providence and slim2043 like this.

25. Ha ha !

No one wins in the ticking game - they just keep making more and more beers !

It's like making a ladder to the moon and extending it 10 feet every day, while the moon moves backwards 11 feet !

26. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Don't mean to be critical, but I'm not sure I understand your "haters gonna hate" reference. If I understand the OP, it sounds as if he's simply stating that occasionally he finds the selection available around him, even in a place as great as the Denver area, not always as exciting as he might like. I think that happens to everyone at some point, even if deep down we know how hilarious that is (there have been a number of times I've lamented the current selection at my local in Baltimore, even though they have a huge bottle selection and 100 craft and import options on tap). I'd hardly call that hating... I'd call that being or getting spoiled.

That being said, it's nice to have a fall back beer you can depend on for those "horrible times" when there's just nothing you can find exciting to drink (for me it's the SN torpedo; for the OP it sounds like the CHUB). At least to me, it just sounds as if the OP is a bit bored with the current selection (though I'm sure he'll get over it). I'd hardly call that "hate." (though maybe I'm simply misinterpreting your post)

27. Exactly. I'm not hating on the concept of ticking, considering I love experiencing new brews.
    But I'm at the point where the distribution barely varies anymore whether in in the North end of the state or the South.

28. Honestly, no.

29. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I'm yet to be bored by trying new beers, but my reviewing habits have fallen off the last few months.

30. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I would think that the lorax would care for all of the creatures, even the insects that suck blood.

wait wut.

31. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Start home brewing, then you won't give a shit about ticking.....unless it's ticking every new style of beer you brew at home...like me.

32. As far as ticking goes, I don't do "hads" alot, but if I do see a beer I've wanted to try for a long time, I will buy it, as long as its not ridiculously overpriced. 10 bucks for an 11.2, no problem. 15-20 for a 650-750 ml? OK. anything more than that I think twice. If it doesn't effect my important bills ill try it. I love beer

33. To keep things interesting, I give myself 'beer projects'. Last year, I chased down as many hefeweizens that I could, reviewing them all. That got me through the summer until the usual suspects of Oktoberfests, harvest IPAs, pumpkins, and browns started showing up. Soon as the clock turned November, I had no problem just ticking and enjoying different winter warmers and Belgian Christmas ales.

Now I've decided on a new project; it's time that I go back to my first love--Belgian beer classics. I'm having fun revisiting and reviewing the trappist ales and abbey ales and some of the spot-on-for-style Belgian brews.

Anybody else do 'beer projects' to give themselves direction in the ticking process?

34. Not being a ticker, at all, I guess my answer would be yes. I say this because, I remember a time when I thought trying as many new beers as possible was a good use of time and resources. This was early on in my craft days. That mindset lasted about a month, ha ha. So yeah, I got bored with ticking right quick.

TongoRad and cavedave like this.