Do You Ever Stop Finding Promising New Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by anglagard1, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anglagard1

anglagard1 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2010 Wisconsin

I live in a fairly small albeit beer-appreciating town, so you would expect that the beer options are limited. But it seems that every time I go to one of my local liquor stores, they have something new to tempt me with. Granted, there are a lot of beers I read about here that I never see locally, but there are enough that keep popping up that keep "dragging me back in". Last Friday I came across Green Flash for the first time. Though it was a disappointment, I bought it. Then tonight I found a Bass Ale Black and Tan mixed 6-pack. Maybe if I stayed out of stores, I wouldn't be tempted, but the searching is half the fun. Anyone finding it hard to discover new beers in their neck of the woods?

SassieCassie likes this.
  2. Fantasy_Factory

Fantasy_Factory Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2012 New York

Depends on where I go. My usual spots I usually get my growlers filled. I've discovered some new distributors on my way to and from work, found some bottles I haven't seen before.

3. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

When you run out of 'new' stuff, sometimes something that's always on the shelf that you either (a) haven't drank since you got into craft or (b) always pass over for some reason or another can prompt one of those "Wtf haven't I been drinking this all these years? C'mon man, a sixer's only $8 bucks!" moments...I've recently had such revelations with Schlafly Kolsch and a few others.

SammyJaxxxx and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  4. BlackBelt5112203

BlackBelt5112203 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2012 Michigan

Whenever I get bored or worn out, I always turn to Belgians. They just keep pulling me back.

5. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

Green flash disappointment? Sounds like you got an old ipa. Which unfortunately happens. Most of their stuff is at least decent if not good.

Can't say I'm disappointed. Tons of new beers popping up around here

dianimal and Brunite like this.
  6. bpfrush

bpfrush Pooh-Bah (1,845) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

No, I never stop finding promising new beers. The rate at which I find them has decreased though.

7. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Zealot (747) Mar 21, 2012 Georgia

Can't go wrong with a fresh IPA from Green Flash...but that's just your opinion, man.

dianimal and Brunite like this.
  8. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

This. WCIPA is an amazing beer.

dianimal and MagicJeff like this.
  9. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Stop? I can't keep up.

10. DanK4

DanK4 Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Maine

My wallet begs to differ. I wish shit didn't hit the shelves all at once.

jglowe77 likes this.
  11. ghostly

ghostly Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2011 New York

No, I don't stop finding promising new beers, but I find that I turn to my old standards much more often these days.

Providence likes this.
  12. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There are so many different styles of beer and so many breweries that make these beers. It's honestly impossible to not have something interesting to turn to. And there are plenty of seasonal/rotating beers that meet you halfway between promising new beers and excellent dependables.

13. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

I see he is from Wisconsin where they just started distribution of Green Flash so I would assume it wasnt old.

14. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Pooh-Bah (2,142) Mar 8, 2011 Georgia

With new breweries opening all the time, older breweries expanding distribution to new areas and brewers trying new and exciting things, it's a safe bet that at this rate we'll never run out of tempting options. It's been stated before but it's worth repeating: now is a fantastic time to be a fan of craft beer!!

dianimal likes this.
  15. fritts211

fritts211 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee

I never run out of things to try, especially since I've moved twice in the last two years. But, even when I go back to home (Knoxville TN, one of the worse beer places due to ABV caps and a current, but slowly growing, interest in craft beer) I find new stuff to try. Don't worry that you didn't like Green Flash, I've disliked everything from them I've tried so far (IPA, Stout, Rayon Vert, and Red Ale something). Happy future hunting.

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

No, there is too much to try.

HoptimusMax1mus likes this.
  17. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia

I'm going to take this post a step further, not only is there never too many good beers to try, there are too many worthy beers to age. I don't have a cellar, so I converted a mini-frigde to cellar temp thinking this is good, limiting me spending-wise due to capacity and can't put anything corked in a fridge for an extended period...I recently purchased a second mini-fridge...cheers to great beer

18. rubicat

rubicat Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I think that the only way that you could stop finding promising new beers is to stop looking. We live in a wonderful time! :sunglasses: So many beers out there!

jglowe77 likes this.
  19. Ernest_Hooper

Ernest_Hooper Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2012 Michigan

With an unlimited budget I would probably never run out of promising new beers to buy.

Then again, if my budget were unlimited, I might buy all the promising beers and run out of them.

hmm...

jglowe77 likes this.
  20. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

This is how unintentional cellaring happens. Buying more sheeyat than one can drink, and especially one trying to slim down. Ug. FML.

brewbetter and SammyJaxxxx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.